Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • LEDs affecting DAB radio?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

nightmare.

Finally got the down lighters away from the energy hungry halogens, they are ace, but make the DAB unlistenable. Anything I can do?.

Hate the idea of no 6music in the kitchen.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

The same here. Gave up on DAB in the kitchen, reluctantly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Odd , got leds in living room , kitchen and garage….a got dabs in all 3 as well…

Pure , denon and argos specials , all three not effected by the leds.

What leds you got ? Mines a mix of led hut and aldi specials.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno Terry, spark got them from local electrical supplier.

wallop

Yep – changed our kitchen lights to LEDs and had to move the DAB into the dining room. No biggie really – I’ve ended up spending more time in there anyway.

cheers_drive

No problem in the kitchen but they’re quite a long way from the radio. The LCD computer monitor really messes with the dab in the study though

mudmuncher

Send them back and try another brand.

There is a legal requirement anything sold in EU must comply with EMC regulations and should not interfere with radios etc. some of the cheap Chinese stuff doesn’t comply.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

DAB…. Totally better than FM.

Yeah.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I never said it was better, but no 6music and many other stations in FM mate.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Join the 21st century. Internet radio. Haven’t used radio over the air stuff (never had DAB, but FM/AM) in maybe 10 years at home.

I’ve got a Squeezebox Radio as my bedroom radio, Squeezebox classic hooked up to the AV system, plus my AV amp, Blu Ray player and TV have Internet radio as well though I don’t use them for it. Phone has it also, and my computers. Failing any of that Sky box has digital radio as well.

Tonnes more stations than DAB and not subject to reception issues (except Sky).

Flaperon

Same here.

Having said that, when we mentioned this to the supplier (BLT) they were quite concerned and replaced the whole lot. It improved the situation, but didn’t fix it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Join the 21st century. Internet radio. Haven’t used radio over the air stuff (never had DAB, but FM/AM) in maybe 10 years at home.

Very good- all your fancy equipment would be effected by my country internet though – infact it would be nothing more buffering paperweights

My led tv does piss off the dab which sits under it but i dont tend to have both on ever

cheers_drive

My wireless phone charger in the car also messes up the Pure Highway DAB. DAB must be very sensitive.

iolo
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    DAB…. Totally better than FM.
    Yeah.

Better signal, not affected by atmospheric pressure,far better sound quality, much more stations to listen to,
    Yes you’re right. Totally better than FM.

somafunk

better signal – No dab radio in most of Galloway, where you do manage to get a signal it is often punctuated by artifacts, far better sound quality – most dab stations are broadcast at just 64kbps mp2 codec which is practically a mono signal, the main/big radio stations broadcast at a maximum of 128kbps mp2 codec which considering we were promised CD quality broadcasts throughout the country when it was launched is abysmal.

More stations to listen to? – therin lies the problem, we have a limited bandwidth available for use by digital radio and the more stations that broadcast then the less bandwidth there is to allocate a suitable broadcastable bit rate. Even radio 3 which is normally a bastion of quality sound has an absolute maximum of 190kbps available and often broadcasts at far less, again using the vastly inferior mp2 codec.

I use a dedicated fm aerial and a high quality Tivoli/Henry kloss desktop radio and the fm sound quality is superb, however i agree that dab should and does have the ability to offer far more than it currently does, it is unfortunate that quantity of stations is unsurping quality of broadcasts when it comes to current dab output. Then again that’s no surprise as for many people radio is just treated as background noise.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Easy now, I didn’t say that you said it was better.

I’m just disappointed with the quality, and I get plenty of interference on my DAB.

Really, in this case it’s the LED’s that are at fault, but that doesn’t mean I can’t have a pop at DAB 🙂

beaker2135

DAB you say, non of the witchcraft out here. We can’t even get an FM signal. Internet radio is our only option, got to say I love it though. Apart from the different buffer size on different sets makes them out of sync in different rooms

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Surprised people are getting problems from so many devices. How strong are your DAB signals? (There’s usually the info on the set).

I’ve got 6 DAB radios including the car and have always been impressed with the resilience of the reception – the car ver very rarely cuts out or gurgles (proper antenna rather than something on the inside of the windscreen). The Pure portable on the building site has trouble sometimes but it’s surrounded by a lot of steel which is never going to help. When it does go it doesn’t seem to be any of the power tools we are using – haven’t managed to track down the cause.

Of course we’re only a couple of miles from Crystal palace so don’t lack signal in the open.

I’d be worried about the electrical safety and build quality of any bulbs that are throwing out that much interference. Even more surprised a TV does.

Despite being that close to the transmitter reception quality is one of the main benefits here. The FM band is so crowded (with pirates adding to the mess) without a rooftop antenna getting a good signal is really tricky.

julianwilson
    Free Member

My dab radio in the kitchen started breaking up when i turned the cold tap on the other day. (It lives on the window sill just over the sink). Doesn’t often break up, but the tap on/radio scrambled, tap/off radio fine worked a number of times for that mad 5 minutes. Wtf?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to have a really good signal here, then they built the big new Air traffic control centre at prestwick airport, about a mile away and it went to shit. Have an external aerial now, which worked great til this LED setback. I’ll need to have a look at these new fangled wifi radios.

Any recommendations, under a ton preferably?.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yes – use your computer or your mobile phone and avoid the dead-end that is UK DAB.

somafunk

If your existing DAB radio has a line in jack or is bluetooth compatible then use an old iPhone or iPod touch/Ipad (or android device) and one of the many radio apps to give you wifi radio. I use my old iPhone 4 permanantly sitting on a Belkin charging dock and connected to the line in of my Tivoli Radio when i want to listen to 6Music in the kitchen – I use a mixture of the BBC Radio app and an app called Tunein Radio.

iolo
    Free Member

We just got a new transmitter.
    http://m.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/mobile/mnews/142082/two-new-digital-radio-transmitters-in-north-west-wales.aspx

It works just fine with a lot more stations than the old fm.
    For a radio in the kitchen it’s great.
    For audiophiles with truly outstanding audio equipment I’m sure there are much better quality signals with another medium.
    My radio cost thirty quid and it works just fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t want to use my phone, want something more permanent.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

on the phone/DAB thing – it’s about the faff factor. A DAB radio is a ‘switch it on and the sound comes out’ thing, push the preset button to get the other station you listen to. No internet radio I’ve had does that – there’s always faffing about with menus or remotes.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘LEDs affecting DAB radio?’ is closed to new replies.