Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Learning to code?
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Thinking of retraining specifucally pen testing & cyber security.

I know virtually next to nothing about coding so obviously I’m going to need to learn!

Any thoughts on the best codes to learn? Is a bootcamp style process going to be sufficeint or do I need to go back to uni?

jeffl

Don’t work in cyber security or pen testing but have worked with them. Not sure that you should be focusing on how to code unless you want to pull code apart and hack stuff. Most of what I’ve seen in the corporate world is understanding the concept of how things work and hang together and then using a toolset of known compromises in an attempt to break the system.

I presume you’re thinking on the software side of things but Pen testing will also look at the infrastructure including hardware, OS and networking. No point having the most secure software ever running on a server that’s wide open running an old unpatched OS with no network security.

fifeandy
    Free Member

You can learn to code on your own with the help of google. The basics are actually really easy.

As for language, consider what sort of applications you see yourself writing.
    C# is probably the most common. And you can dive right in with the free version of visual studio.

The problem with not going back to Uni would be that without a formal qualification, you are unlikely to even get an interview in most places.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Learning to code?’ is closed to new replies.