Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 460 total)
  • Le Tour doping/speculation/rumour/conjecture thread
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can we please keep all the above in here, separate from the daily race threads?

Thanks

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

No. 😛

leffeboy

What! Are you on drugs or something

midlifecrashes

On the telly earlier they referred to a vid of 2013 Ventoux. Someone leaked or hacked Froome’s data from his SRM box. Someone else synched it to TV coverage. It’s been pulled from Youtube and a twitter has been taken down too. However, it’s the internet, so if it’s been up for an hour it will be up somewhere forever. This link probably won’t last.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xyt27_chris-froome-tour-de-france-2013-mont-ventoux-srm_sport?start=21

mintimperial

Thanks for sharing that midlifecrashes, I was wondering what people were banging on about…

Not criticising you here, but: what’s it supposed to prove? We already know he rode his bike quite fast up that hill, which would certainly require quite a few watts. Also he’s pedalling, and his heart is beating too, by crikey. I can’t see the bit where he injects EPO on there or anything though. Maybe I’m missing something? 😉

crazy-legs

To my mind this is the worst thing that Lance has left the sport. The constant suspicions of doping and cheating, the refusal to believe in good clean performance based on training and science.
    The finger pointing, the adding 2+2 and getting 5.

The rest of Lance I don’t have a problem with, I still think he was a fantastic rider (unpopular though that opinion might be). But he has pretty much single handedly ensured that every win, every great performance will be met with scepticism rather than applause. He’s given rise to a culture of suspicion and disbelief, a world where journalists are desperate for the next big doping story rather than the next great win story.

mintimperial

Yeah, Chris Boardman said something today about how it’s going to take a decade of clean cycling to wear that suspicion down, and I suspect he’s right. Very sad.

chakaping
    Free Member

My 2p – froome only looks so good now because the other GC guys all seem to be off the boil.

Whether they’re off anything else as well…

chakaping
    Free Member

PS. The journalists have been very restrained on the doping questions so far this tour.

I think they’ve been glad not to have to ask so much.

beej

I watched that vid and I don’t think it shows much. He puts in an effort, recovers, effort, recovers. He wasn’t at 400+ watts all the way.

I found this interesting.
    http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/124045491453/w-balance-analysis-of-a-grand-tour-climb

Had to look up W’ to understand it though.
    http://physfarm.com/new/?page_id=563

MrNice
    Free Member

Is there a bit missing from the video where he stops for a steak sandwich at chalet reynard? I guess it’s interesting to see the effort, recover, effort, recover pattern but he discussed that in interviews at the time.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Where’s all the Nibali haters from last year?! He was defo doping because he destroyed a shitty field but weirdly Froome is clean ‘coz they’re a fan. Play the game both ways or not at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought nibali was clean for the reason you give.

Since then I’ve had some doubts due to Astana’s troubles.

What did you think?

Houns

All of them.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

mintimperial – Member

Yeah, Chris Boardman said something today about how it’s going to take a decade of clean cycling to wear that suspicion down, and I suspect he’s right. Very sad.

Unfortunaty this cannot start until teh likes of froome and co leave

eddie11
    Free Member

I’m going to bite. What do you mean froome and co? I could understand the comment about Millar, valverde, contador, Riis, basso but who’s the druggy gang froome was rocking with now or on previous teams? Jullich, Yates maybe but come one. Do we need the barguil, Yates brothers to have a whole career and leave. How many generations of riders before you decide it’s ok again?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Because of all the irrefutable evidence that he’s doping?

Chapaking – Bit of a Nibali fan boy but also kinda like Froome (despite his ugliness) for his tenacity in last years Vuelta and the way he rides. I can’t see any evidence they’re doping except for everyone shouting, “ZOMG he climbed as fast as Lance/won a stage!!1!1!”

midlifecrashes

The point of the vid is there is a large community of experts, both the armchair and the real type, who have spent years analysing this sort of data, and coming to the conclusion that there is a limit to how many Watts a clean athlete can/should produce for how long, in the context both of a 240km stage and towards the back end of a hilly grand tour. Much of that is based on working backwards from fairly sparse actual data released by the pros, so getting their hands on Froome’s logs is a pretty big deal to them. Much of it happens here, but not by me, I’m no expert(of either kind):http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewforum.php?f=20

Klunk
    Free Member

is the speed in that vid kph ? they seem to be going faster 😕

TheDoctor
    Free Member

eddie11 – Member

I’m going to bite. What do you mean froome and co?

froome loser to winner in 3 years, with now outclassing ALL the other climbers 🙄 portes miraculous retunrning form, skys hipocritical “ethics”

do you really think they are SO much better than everyone else becease they claim better training methods 😆 An infamous Texan used the same arguments and reasoning!

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Science of Sport has been looking at the wattage data for quite a few years. I don’t know if he’s right, but he’s certainly not hysterical.

I’m not really watching this year, but I heard the commotion as another Sky one-two blasted a field of hardened dopers backwards with their mighty slipstream.

😐

BigDummy
    Free Member

and discussion of the 2013 Ventoux video

The response has been amazing. As in 2013, the data was first dismissed as fabricated. Then as hacked (which is a tacit acknowledgement of its validity). Or maybe irrelevant. The usual attacks that it proves nothing came, to which I’d respond by saying “welcome to a six-year long conversation, take a side-order of context with that indignation”. Fact is, we’ve been here before, and it’s the reaction more than the revelation that is so amazing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some interesting stuff in there. The flip side to blowing away some of the past greats is how does their performances stack up after some of their previous indiscretions.
    Watching it last night it seemed that Sky played a tactical battle and kept Froome/Porte fresher for the climb. The pressure was on the others to attack them and try and make efforts they couldn’t sustain. In many ways we won’t know and not wanting to sounds like a LA media rep you can’t prove a negative.

I’d like to see a more proactive approach in the pro tour, giving riders an out if there is something going on. First man to blow the whistle gets a light punishment provided there is a long list of names and proof. Get caught get hammered.

In some ways the “evidence” that drugs are on the way out are the fact the nobody is winning the Giro and the Tour in one year. Contador looks like he has 3 weeks in his legs already.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

every rrider can make a super human effort , its the recovery that takes longer without ‘assistance’–i doubt he will do the same again today, sky will have a plan a, plan b and plan c -for various scenarios-they all said the rest day really helped,which may well be the case–i’m sure they have calculated when to ‘go’ –and when conditions are otherwise–this is the same managment team that has transformed british track cycling–how many postive tests have there been ?
    The oppnents who used to have a chequered past seem to be missing their old ‘ways’ –i am optimistic , and hope that eventualy the cynics can move on to somethin else…..

hora
    Free Member

Why did Sky’s Lawyers go on the offensive?

The thinking is they don’t want it out there. Why?

They all arent at it. Only the top of the field is and I said this before. It should be a lifetime ban. Not a Contador-long ban..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I was at Sky and somebody was trying to hack/break into stuff I’d probably set some lawyers on it, if you had a good set of team sky’s power data it would be good for understanding their weaknesses just as they use it for improvement. If somebody had stolen data from your company what would you do?

Out of frustration, Froome’s Team Sky did something unusual: It released two years of data about Froome’s physical power output to the French newspaper L’Equipe and French physiologist Frederic Grappe, who examined it to analyze whether Froome’s body should be capable of zooming up hills that most of us would struggle to walk up. You can read CyclingNews.com’s summary of those findings here. The quick take: Froome is indeed a freak of nature, but he’s not doping.

http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/big-data-analytics/can-big-data-help-save-cycling-from-dopers/d/d-id/1110837?
    Back in 2013 they released their data to some press but under strict terms about what could be done with it due to the sensitivity of what you can draw from the data about the athlete.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And on this

Lance ArmstrongVerified account
    ?@lancearmstrong
    1. Clearly Froome/Porte/Sky are very strong. Too strong to be clean? Don’t ask me, I have no clue.

Nobody was asking you Lance, nobody at all, nobody wants to talk to you.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I see we’re into the hard evidence now, beating ex dopers means mega big tit power doping, he wasn’t winning but now is and the greatest of all, the spurned house wife Hora telling us they’re all at it.

hora
    Free Member

Squeeze me? Baking powder? Come again? I said THEY ALL ARENT AT IT.

ferrals
    Free Member

Data is quickly becoming the most important commodity in the world. Of course Sky would get their lawyers to look into it. As mikewsmith says, you could use it to establish and exploit their weaknesses, if you have enough of it you could infer their training patterns.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Sorry Hora (I’m not).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They all arent at it. Only the top of the field is

Exactly, look at all these top names getting caught.

2015[edit]
    On 19 January, it was announced that Lampre rider Diego Ulissi was banned for nine months after the Salbutamol positive from the 2014 Giro d’Italia. The ban was backdated and ended on March 28.[580]
    On 22 January, it was announced that former Rabobank and Team Sky doctor Geert Leinders was banned for life by USADA, Anti-Doping Denmark and Anti-Doping Authority Netherlands. Former Rabobank riders Michael Rasmussen and Levi Leipheimer testified at the hearing.[581][582] Information from the hearing lead to UCI Doctor and Scientific Advisor Dr. Mario Zorzoli being suspended by UCI.[583]
    On 10 March, UCI announced that Lloyd Mondory (Ag2r-La Mondiale) had tested positive for EPO in an out-of-competition control on 17 February 2015.[584][585]
    On 23 April, it was announced that Hichem Chaabane had tested positive for two undisclosed prohibited substances and was provisionally suspended from racing.[586]
    On 9 June, it was announced that Petr Ignatenko of Rusvelo had tested positive to hgh on 8 April 2015. He was fired by his team.[587]
    On 9 June, the UCI confirmed that Ramon Carretero of Southeast Pro Cycling had tested positive for EPO on 22 April, during the Tour of Turkey.[587]
    On 30 June, it was announced that Davide Appollonio of Androni Giocattoli gave an adverse analytical finding for EPO, on June 14 – two weeks after completing the Giro d’Italia, and was provisionally suspended.[588]
    On 10 July, it was disclosed that in the 2015 Tour de France, Luca Paolini (Team Katusha) tested positive for cocaine. He was thrown out of the race after stage 7.[589]

So either we are back at the cleverer than the testers/prove the negative/sling mud until something sticks arguments or maybe they are not. Will be really interesting to see the Froome independent testing, maybe they will find he’s really an alien.

piemonster

Interesting Froome is up for “independent” testing. If he gets testes enough maybe he’ll start claiming he’s “the most tested athlete in the world”

In all honesty, I haven’t watched much of this tour. But I watched the highlights from about half way through last night. After that acceleration I genuinely laughed and turned it off. Looked like he was on an e bike.

Boardman’s comment are right on the button for me, except I don’t believe the sport is clean yet. So that decade hasn’t even begun yet. That’s not a declaration of my belief that they are doping. Just an inability to discard the very real possibility that some form of cheating is still widespread.

Euro
    Free Member

Nobody was asking you Lance, nobody at all, nobody wants to talk to you.

Then why follow and quote him?

My opinion doesn’t matter as i’m new to watching this. All i can say with 100% accuracy (and i have no proof for this statement) is they are fitter than i am.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Then why follow and quote him?

It’s quoted in one of the links. He seems to think that he should be asked the question.

theotherjonv

As Mike said, **** off Lance. You know what you did, now go away.

Interested that Emma O’Reilly’s thrown her hat in too. I’d have thought she would know as much as anyone the harm that innuendo and rumours can have, so if she has something to say then say it. Properly.

I was an Armstrong fanboi back in the day, I’m a Wiggo and Froome fanboi now. It was a hell of a ride. I’m not naive enough that I’m not looking at it with a raised eyebrow but I don’t know whether that’s because of the ride or because of the damage that the likes of Armstrong did that means we can never look at an incredible performance in wide-eyed wonder again.

I just can’t see how they could be juicing in such plain sight any longer. And also if they are, the damage that causes to Sky and British cycling. Knighthoods, TdF wins, 6 olympic golds for Chris Hoy, Hour records, all valueless. No-one’s that dumb any more, are they?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Once you have read Tyler’s book and you understand their “juice fueled” strategies then, it’s difficult to view any carbon copy tactical moves without reaching the obvious conclusion

No-one’s that dumb any more, are they?

As you note, the rewards are greater than ever. Choices, choices…..

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

^ This is a point I’d made in the stage thread, surely the £€$ you could make for selling the Sky doping story would be huge, in this day and age of the Internet/Facebook/camera phones it’s impossible to keep celebrities titties and sex tapes off the internet let alone something as huge as this?

So someone hacked into the Skynet (oh yeah) and all they found was training files, not a sniff of illegal medicines etc? Hmmm…

ratherbeintobago

So someone hacked into the Skynet (oh yeah) and all they found was training files, not a sniff of illegal medicines etc? Hmmm…

Yes, but didn’t Fränk Schleck pay Fuentes €3000 for ‘training plans’?

/tinfoil hat

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 460 total)

The topic ‘Le Tour doping/speculation/rumour/conjecture thread’ is closed to new replies.