Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • LBS. Are they taking the pi$$ or am i just being unreasonable
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Now it takes a lot to get my goat and i am normally very happy with the service etc that all my lbs's offer but in this instance i feel one of them is taking the pee.

I managed to break my Hope ProII hub on the Easter weekend and took the wheel etc in to one of my lbs's where i had bought it a few year prior to see what the score was.

I left the wheel with them on Tuesday 6th and they sent it off to Hope to see what could be done (this happened on the Thursday 8th) the hub arrived back from Hope late last week (14th or 15th, not sure which) with a new body etc.

I'm now being told by the shop that they won't be able to have the wheel rebuilt until 29th April at the earliest, thats if they remember to order in the correct length spokes for the 29er wheel as they dont carry them in stock 🙄 The reason they have given me is that they are very busy even though the mechanic/wheelbuilder has offered to take it home to do and then charge the shop for his time (at a reduced rate).

Now i understand they are busy but come on 2 weeks to build a wheel (yes i will be charged of the build etc) WTF. They knew the wheel was going off and would be back and need rebuilding and must have had an idea of when to expect it back from Hope plus if I'm get busy at work i just work extra hours to get the job done but this smack to me of **** it, he's a regular and won't go elsewhere.

Part of me wants to go in and get the wheel back & get it built elsewhere, i know they will charge me for sending it away etc anyway.

Am i being unreasonable or should i expect better from a lbs where i am a loyal customer ?

wwaswas

sounds a bit off, particularly if the mechanic has offered to do it out of hours.

Why does it need new spokes?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Did they dismantle the wheel to send the hub off? Why? Did you ask them to do that?

I find it a bit odd that a bike shop can't diagnose a problem with something as mechanically simple as a hub, and need to send it off.

clubber
    Free Member

You're right in that if they were organised, they could have planned the rebuild in but IME, not a lot of bike shops are that organised.

As such, they're not really being unreasonable, just not quite as good as they could be and if you're a regular customer I'd kind of hope that they may give you advantageous service but there you go…

FWIW, it's your own fault if you won't learn to build wheels yourself though. It's a doddle really – plenty of guides online.

I find it a bit odd that a bike shop can't diagnose a problem with something as mechanically simple as a hub, and need to send it off.

Hope will need to give the go ahead/replacement for warranty presumably…

mt
    Free Member

Let me translate for you as it would seem you do not speak retail.

"f..k right off as we do not need you"

Hope that helps.

DickBarton

If the hub was repaired as a warranty then you shouldn't be charged…if it's outwith warranty then you will have an invoice from Hope to pay (the shop as they would have paid Hope).

Find out if a local builder can build it sooner then take it elsewhere…they've been kind enough to send it off for you but if they can't build it sooner then it is their loss – or see if you can talk to the wheelbuilder and do a deal with him so it is done out of hours and sooner.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i would say(as a lbs!) that it is a little unreasonable…it sounds like a large corporate shop? if it is speak to the manager or not the owner…and explain calmly why your unhappy,they should sort it asap…i would.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Most shops won't stock 29er size spokes, it's niche.

Even so 2 weeks is pushing it a bit but then our (small) shop is rushed off it's feet at the minute- we're looking at around a week for wheels without ordering new spokes. The workshop is totally non stop now the sun is out.

coffeeking
    Free Member

When I worked in a shop the wheel builder only visited once a week (that's why I learned how to do it) so a week would be fairly reasonable, but 2 is pushing it IMO. Take the parts, build it yourself and ask them for the bits for free.

scaredypants

what did they do with your old spokes, cut 'em ?

(isn't this almost exactly the sort of situation that Bwning them was made for? I seem to remember he had gripes about whellbuilding too)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think I'd be a bit miffed if it was my only bike or I needed it for an event. Otherwise I'd not care.

foxyrider
    Free Member

IIRC you can send the whole wheel off to hope and they will put a new one in and rebuild it for you and send it back? Or do I stand corrected? And unless the spokes are knackered why can't it be rebuilt with those spokes?

bigsi
    Free Member

It wasn't a warranty job by Hope but they have replaced the freehub body free of charge as its a "know fault" with a batch of the ProII's from late 2007 and was a total failure of the body itself (cracked from one of the spoke holes across the body). As a result they asked for the hub to be sent back, not the whole wheel.

It's not a large corporate like Halfrauds or Evans but an individual shop and it was the owned who said no to the mechanic taking it home, i over heard the conversation and it went along the lines of.

Mech – Si's wheel that needs rebuilding, unless i do it at home and you sort me out it won't get done before 29th April, what do you want me to do?
    Owner – Well the problem is that if we start doing this then whenever we get busy we'll feel obliged to do it again so no it will have to wait.
    Mech – Oh, right.

Getting the mechanic to build it out of hours and paying him direct might be a bit political as he runs his own (very good) small wheel building business and doesn't want to be seen to be poaching shop clients, which i can fully understand.

Clubber – building my own wheels is something i have considered but bit late now.

I think mt has hit the nail on the head, or at least thats how it felt.

scaredypants

maybe they'll lend you an old wheel until yours is done ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They should be re-using the old spokes. No reason not to at all.
    I can see you having to stump up for new spoes as well, matey-boy. Beware.

bigsi
    Free Member

The wheelbuilder is the shop mechanic so he's there 5/6 days a week.

The wheel on my MTB is the one off of my commuter at the moment so its a faff tbh. I have 2 sets of wheels now to save switching tyres over before every ride.

Don't know if the spokes have been cut or not but was talking to them about a stronger spoke anyway (they have not even ordered these in yet despite having the conversation with them stronger replacements over a week ago.

I think it's just pi$$ poor organisation on the owners part tbh.

Think I'll get the wheel back tomorrow and find someone local who can do the job for me then keep my eye open for a cheap wheel jig 😕

b17
    Free Member

i see the manager's point I'm afraid (conversation with the mech) –

as he says, doing extra work at home now could set a precedent. Word gets around that they can do that… it starts happening a few times a week… the mechanic quits because he's lost his free time…

Frustrating for you as a one off I agree, but in a way it's sensible management against the culture of 'expected overtime'.

Talkemada
    Free Member

As a result they asked for the hub to be sent back, not the whole wheel.

Ah, ok. Fair enough.

They should be re-using the old spokes. No reason not to at all.

+1. I've rebuilt wheels several times with used spokes. The 'you need new spokes' guff is purest bullshit, unless the spokes are particularly bent/damaged/corroded. If you've had a bid crashand destroyed the whole wheel, then fair enough. Sounds like another excuse to make more money imo.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Don't know if the spokes have been cut or not but was talking to them about a stronger spoke anyway (they have not even ordered these in yet despite having the conversation with them stronger replacements over a week ago.

To be fair, 29er spokes are hard to come by right now. I've got a set on back order as we speak.

bigsi
    Free Member

b17 – Well i know they have done it before because the mech has told me he has done it in the past so. If they hadn't and didn't want to then fair enough but to know that they have and won't leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

PP – But they haven't even ordered them yet so its not even in a queue waiting 🙄

crazy-legs

+1. I've rebuilt wheels several times with used spokes. The 'you need new spokes' guff is purest bullshit, unless the spokes are particularly bent/damaged/corroded

Yes but that would have involved de-building the wheel in the first place and storing the spokes (driveside and non-driveside separate) and, given that the hub body had cracked at one of the spoke holes it's fairly reasonable to assume that at least one of the spokes might also have been damaged.

FWIW when I worked as a mechanic, we'd never build with old spokes, it was just far too much hassle.

clubber
    Free Member

given that the hub body had cracked at one of the spoke holes it's fairly reasonable to assume that at least one of the spokes might also have been damaged.

No, not really IME. I've rebuilt several wheels of my own and other peoples' from wheels that have broken in this way with no problem (so long as the bike wasn't ridden miles after the hub broke).

And as an ex-mechanic, I agree it's a hassle re-using spokes but that's because it's easier for the mechanic rather than any issue for the customer 😉

Trekster

I think it's just pi$$ poor organisation on the owners part tbh.

Could be that the shops credit is maxed out till next payment!!!!
    Shop will have to buy a box of 29er/special spokes and be left with the majority of the box as redundant stock. @ current prices I would not be keen ❗

Ask them to re-use the old spokes.

If they do and one that may have been stressed during hub breaking incident what will your reaction be then?
    I am sure Hope may decide not to warranty new body in the event of another breakage if they could prove an old(possibly damaged)spoke caused a stress fracture

I have rebuilt loads of wheels reusing old spokes for myself and mates who understand after a bit of explanation of the possible consequences of reusing old(possibly damaged)spokes.

Agree it is bad management not having new spokes to hand, could have measured old ones, when hub has been returned and Hope could have let them know when it was likely to be returned to them, therefore have been in the diary for rebuilding rather than you expecting to now jump the booking order

clubber
    Free Member

am sure Hope may decide not to warranty new body in the event of another breakage if they could prove an old(possibly damaged)spoke caused a stress fracture

Seriously? Only if they were trying to pull the wool over your eyes which based on my experience of Hope's excellent service is very unlikely.

bigsi
    Free Member

Guy's the issue is not getting the spokes, thats an aside and as the old spokes were only a few rides old & I'm/The mechanic fairly sure they would be fine. They also have some of the left over new spokes they used when i last had a wheel rebuild (a few months ago) if needed, me and the mechanic were talking about upgrading to a more DH spoke which is where the "getting spokes in" came about.

The issue is that they knew the hub was coming back to them and because they hadn't thought ahead they now can't build the damn thing up for almost 2 weeks. In the past when this has happened i know they have done things out of hours (not for me but for others who spend a lot less in there than i do) and the mechanic was happy to do it again this time but the owner said no.

I just feel a bit pi$$ed off about it as it makes riding to work and going out on the mtb a pita having to swap things round. Going to have a ring round other shops tomorrow.

dasnut
    Free Member

learn to build wheels yourself, or live forever in the hands of the over priced lbs

kimbers

you see that big yellow globe up in the sky

thats your problem

everyone and their aunty is dusting off their bike taking it to the lbs for a service and clogging up the lbs workbook

STATO
    Free Member

Ahh the mythical '29er' spoke, commonly known as a road/tourer/hybrid spoke that every decent bike shop worth its salt will stock.

Bigsi – as is always the case in these things, worth having a word with the manager informing him of your opinions on how the situation has been handled. He might not even have a clue that he is causing you bother. Not ordering you specific items if youve ordered them is just slack and he should be made aware that he is jepordising your future custom.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Are 29er spokes not in the range that road bikes use, it being the same size rim? Or are MTB hubs so much bigger that it makes a difference? I've never had any trouble getting hold of spokes for my 29er wheels.

Joe

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

FFS, if you want it quickly then ask the shop manager if it's OK to pay the wheel builder direct & get the job done, if he says no then that would be enough to get me a new LBS, if he says yes then the jobs a good'n, just chalk it to experience that you don't sit high enough on the boss's list to qualify for cue jumping. FWIW I would happily pay to get a job done quickly, I don't expect the world, just a reasonable explanation.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I see it from the point of view that the mechanic is entitled to a life away from work, so although he's offered to build it in his own time and bill the LBS (his choice, I agree) I'd be patient and and just wait for the build.

I know nothing about this 29'er business but if its going to cause wheel building problems then that would put me off a bit. My LBS can usually turn a wheel around wwithin a week (reusing spokes usually) and sooner if asked nicely!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

"Squeezing in" one job bumps another one, so un-fortunately jobs take however long they take… If they are conscientious then they'll probably get the wheel done sooner than 2 weeks. That should just be an estimated maximum time…

molgrips
    Free Member

29er rims are the same size as 700c road wheels I think. And I'd never use old spokes – all that stress and strain, stretching and all different on different spokes due to bends and jump hits and all – too much trouble. You're re-using something with a limited life.

hora
    Free Member

As a result they asked for the hub to be sent back, not the whole wheel.

IMO tough. Hope should rebuild the wheel back up if its manufacturing fault. So basically you are out of pocket to circa £40 for a wheel rebuild when its Hopes fault? Nice. Its Hope you should be kicking off with.

convert

29er spokes are hard to come by – ha ha! A DT comp is a DT comp, be it 26" sized or 700c/29er sized. I guess the shop might not stock road bike parts.

mk1fan
    Free Member

So if the LBS has already booked in work for other customers before you why shouldn't they do that first?

I agree with the owner/manager. Generous favours turn to expected minimum service very quickly then before you know it someone's complaining on the internet that they couldn't get an innertube at 10:30pm on a Friday night and it's ruined their Alps trip they're leaving for a 6am the next day.

If you're a regular then I don't see the harm in asking the owner/manager if they mind you paying the mech direct to do it out of hours. I can't see them having a problem with it as the decision would be wholely that of the mech and not being influenced by their employer.

hora
    Free Member

Question- how do you know which hubs are affected?! Serial number somewhere on the box etc?

bigsi
    Free Member

Not 100% sure on that one Hora but they have admitted to other people on a previous thread i posted when i broke the hub that they had a flawed batch in late 2007 as they have had a few fail in that way but not from any other batch. Thats all i know 😕

I'm going in to the shop this morning to see if it can be done any sooner than 29th. If not then I'll have my wheel back and get someone else to do it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Are you near Sussex?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘LBS. Are they taking the pi$$ or am i just being unreasonable’ is closed to new replies.