Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Last night at the proms anyone?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh my this should rustle a few feathers. Last bastion of our imperialist past. Kids think its bobbins 😆

Simwit

It’s on loud here. That female violinist was rather good wasn’t she?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What a voice this man has!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes the violinist was very good.

ps44
    Free Member

“This man” Roddy is a friend of ours. Lovely bloke.

sweepy
    Free Member

Have I missed Earth Wind and Fire?

slowoldman

It’s a bit of fun but where has Tom Bowling gone?

globalti
    Free Member

We always watch it. I used to know a French bloke who went to see it; he was absolutely staggered and just kept saying: “You British are so MUSICAL!” He went straight out and bought the CD and never stopped talking about how talented the British are at music!

It’s one of the last remaining relics of Britain’s imperialist past, when huge chunks of the world map were red and our tiny island was staggeringly wealthy. I don’t think we appreciate how important the 18th and 19th centuries were in shaping the world we inhabit now; we still use much of the infrastructure the Victorians left us.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s a shame they didn’t do the fantasia on sea songs as I love ‘a conquering hero comes’. At least it means that ‘audience participation’ would not have involved too many car horns.

Violinist was excellent, but I can’t stand pieces of music that are designed to showcase virtuoso skill rather than be listened to, like some Rachmaninov piano music.

I still think the best recent last night was Joseph Calleja in 2012. That man can sing and interact with an audience brilliantly.

I don’t go in for all the red-faced screaming of Rule Britannia, but the music itself is brilliant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Last night at the proms anyone?’ is closed to new replies.