Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Large Saddlebags – any good?
  • acjim
    Free Member

As much as I prefer the looks and convenience I’ve decided that using a courier bag in the Summer for an Hour long commute is just too hot. I would use a rack but my commute bike doesn’t have rack eyes and I’d like to stay away from p-clips if pos (nasty bodgy things).

I carry pants, socks, wallet, lunch (sarnies), sometimes other clothing, tool, tube etc – it’s not enough to fill my bag by a long way but too much for medium saddle bags.

So from what I can tell I can either go for a seatpost mounted rack and bag to fit or a whopper saddle bag / seatpost bag.

Any recommendations?

Stoner
    Free Member

we toured with Carradice SUper C saddlebags (23 litres)

here with a roll mat bag on top

It will take you 5 miles to get used to the centre of gravity change, but after that it’s not a problem.

by the look of your kit list though, Im not sure you need something so big?

the SQR tour looks good for 16 litres

The SQR system is excellent BTW.

If you need to take a bit of work home etc, the College bag will take A4 files (15 litres)

Stoner
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near malvern, you would be welcome to borrow a bag and SQR mount for a while?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Aidan
    Free Member

The best looking ones I’ve seen (but never used) are these:

http://www.epicdesignsalaska.com/?page_id=8

acjim
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner,

Do these big bags wobble around when you climb out of the saddle? I have a rack on another bike and it rides appallingly unless you sit down and spin.

acjim
    Free Member

Aidan, I’m not sure my commute through the North Somerset countryside and Bristol City streets qualifies as adventure but those are some cool looking bags! thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

acjim – no.

The bag has a wooden dowl stiched in across the whole inside back. Inboard from each side there is then a leather buckle strap that goes around this dowl and then around the metal wire frame for the QR mount – holding the bag onto the QR frame. The wire frame is about 4-5″ wide. when done up tight this means that there is very little torsional movement between the bag and the wire frame.

The wire frame then connects to the SQR mount on the seat tube. This is a 3D plastic moulded mount that has large dimensions and so again prevents most wobble in the bag.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Possibly NSFW

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW acjim – as you can see we were touring on SS so no sit and spin climbing alot of the time 🙂 and no problems.

acjim
    Free Member

I’d thought that about the pomp touring setup – hilly areas? I’m not that close to you but thanks for the offer of a lend.

The SQR Tour looks like the one – don’t know if I could pull off the “flat cap & tweed” look of the college one!

RustySpanner

Carradice bags are a work of art.

Used to have a Nelson on my old road bike, really rate them.
    Mine just hung from the loops of my B17 and was secured to the seatpost by a strap. Pretty stable, even when heavily loaded.

Would much rather carry something delicate in a saddle bag rather than in a pannier – much more likely to survive a crash.

Thinking of buying a Camper Longflap (!) for the roadbike/converted MTB, just because they are such nice things to use.

Stoner
    Free Member

hilly areas?

5,000km across northern spain twice, over the pyrenees, and then up through central france in 2 1/2 months.

flat cap and tweed should be reserved for the Barley 🙂

acjim
    Free Member

A few inclines then. I’m sure my Dad had a Barley, complete with roll of tools (spanners) and miscellaneous “bits”, to be honest it’s probably still hiding in Mum’s garage!

StirlingCrispin

Another vote for Carradice Camper Longflap with SQR system – on and off the bike in seconds.

And in a Friday night you fill fill it with overnight stuff and head off touring for the weekend….

And Spa Cycles are the place to buy from.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yet another happy Carradice user here. Great fan of them. I have used SQR and saddle-loop fixing for a Camper Long-flap and something smaller of great age. Currently playing with the SQR Glentress as well. Lovely bags.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have been wondering about getting the old canvas saddle bag out for an overnighter around the mid wales hills in May. What a choice, easy gear carrying on the hardtail or full suss and a rucksack mostly for the
    Climax descent at Mach. Have some old but very new small panniers. Front fit I guess

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Another vote for carradice bags – hundreds of RSF types can’t be wrong. 🙂 Real old school but great

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Large Saddlebags – any good?’ is closed to new replies.