• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by wl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lakes routes – best one from Staveley?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone got any great routes from Staveley for tomorrow? Can be a big one (4-7 hours), and we’re after good singletrack with some steep and techy stuff – maybe Nan Bield the hard way down. Don’t mind some pushing/carrying if it’s worth the effort. Ta v much.

torihada
    Free Member

Here’s a good route (gps) on bikely, starting at Stavely.

Three Passes

A fantastic, epic day out, with some serious hike-a-bike. Make sure you carry some spares (my first attempt on this route totalled rear mech and snapped the hanger).

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Three passes but leave out the descent from Gategarth to Haweswater. It’s a waste of altitude. Go up and over Harter Fell (cheeky) instead to get to Nan Bield 😉

wl
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Roughly how long are we looking at time-wise? We’re pretty fit, but not athletes. We did the 4 Western Passes route (Black Sail, Warnscale etc) in around 8-9 hours, as a guide.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Staveley-Dubbs-top of Garburn-Yoke-Ill bell-Mardale-Nan bield-Staveley head fell-Stavely.

Cracking, especially on a clear day.

dunmail
    Free Member

Staveley – green quarter – Gatesgarth – Harter Fell (cheeky) – Nan bield – Kentmere Hall – Three rivers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

OP – 3 rivers = Staveley head fell! Lovely wee descent.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I would always recommend Nan Bield all the way over and back- it is very technical but lots of fun.

breadcrumb

As in decent to Small Water?

We done Kentmere-Gatesgarth Pass-Nan Bield-Kentmere on Saturday, cracking ride. EDIT- a leisurely 3 hours.

The push/carry from Small Water want too bad, doubt I could ride down it though!

wl
    Free Member

So which way is the super-techy way to ride Nan Bield, please?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The descent to the north.

wl
    Free Member

Nobeer – cheers!

scary_carey
    Free Member

http://www.strava.com/activities/131640371 – This route takes in both side of Nan Bield – bit of a biggy but takes in some great trails
    Another way which is good:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/59217116 – you can make it a bit shorter by not visiting the pub on Haweswater ;D
    I love it round there, possibly my fav part of the Lakes and Nan Beild (north) gets better every time I ride it

lowey

Stavely, Stavely Head Fell, Green Quater, Sadgil, Gatesgarth, Harter Fell, Cross Nan Bield, climb Mardale Ill Bell, Thornithwaite Beacon, Froswick, Ill Bell, Yoke, Garburn, Kentmere Hall, Meadowplatts, Ullthwaite Bridge, Stavely.

wl
    Free Member

Ended up doing what I think was probably 4 passes, including Nan Bield both ways. I have to say that Nan Bield heading north is possibly the best UK descent I’ve done – defo in my top 3. Cheers for the tips everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lakes routes – best one from Staveley?’ is closed to new replies.