Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lake District advice
  • John25
    Free Member

Hi

I'm coming over from Ireland and staying in Kendal from 18th – 24th July

I'll have car and bike with me

I have read a lot about Whinlatter and i'm looking forward to riding there

Could anyone recommend similar riding locations in the lakes?

Thank You

crazy-legs
    el_boufador

Hi John,
    Not really like Whinlatter (it definitely isn't a trail centre!), but climbing Helvellyn by bike is one of my favourite rides ever. Real big hill riding. My favorite route is to climb from Glenridding YHA up via lower man, then back down the same way, but continue noreth over Raise then drop down sticks pass to the YHA.

John25
    Free Member

Thanks guys

I didn't see that trail guide tab, useful stuff

Hellvellyn sounds great, I read about it in MBR.

I was in Kendal in July 2006. I hired a bike one day and rode the Grizedale North Face trail (didn't think much of it) and another day hired a bike from Wheelbase and rode up Long Sleddale and over into Hayeswater. However, that experience sort of put me off the big mountain stuff as the map I had was pretty useless.

Have you seen the Hellvellyn maps in MBR? Would you say it has enough detail to ride that route? Or could you point in the directio of route maps with good detail? Or maybe MTB clubs who may be riding the lakes between 18th-24th

Thank You

lowey

Grizedale Bridleways are a must.
    Walna Scar and Duddon Valley from Coniston
    Tour of Skiddaw
    Borrowdale Bash
    Nan Bield
    High Street
    Helvellyn….

The list is endless… you could eaily fill 2 weeks riding in the lakes.

DeeJay
    Free Member

lowey missed Garburn off his list – I reckon it should be at the top of yours

Try the bogtrotters site for routes – Simon has loads on there with maps and photo's to wet your appetite . . .

The best maps are Ordnance Survey 1:25000, sheets 4,5,6 & 7 cover the lakes

Enjoy

Spongebob
    Free Member

There's a long wide trail up Blencathra starting from Mungrisdale. It's a nice gradual incline, but not sure if you are allowed to ride it though.

You can link in with Skidaw from Blencathra.

I'd get some MTB route guides and I'd check out Bikely.com

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's ironic that someone would come to the Lakes and make Whinlatter (or the NFT) their first choice. Not bad in themselves, but the kind of fare one might find almost anywhere…

Junkyard
    Free Member

simon I love footpaths but hate the the tracks specficially build for MTB Barnes has spoken LISTEN

He is right though ride the mountains it is OK for a play but I would not be in a hurry to repeat.

thefallguy
    Free Member

check out the bogtrotters website for sfb's maps, combined with his photos you get a good idea what your letting yourself in for. KMB is good for route advice and maps

recommend bogtrotters route from ambleside over loughrigg to elterwater > little langdale > hodge close > iron keld > elterwater > Loughrigg terrace

Blencathra in the morning and whinlatter in afternoon is a good combo too

Vortexracing

You really can't go wrong in and around Grizedale, loads of BW that are much better than the North Face trail.

we did 20 miles on Friday afternoon inc some new cheekiness which was fantastic, superb riding.

get an OS map and go ride.

got a couple of routes if you want em.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lake District advice’ is closed to new replies.