Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • La Flèche Wallonne
  • alexpalacefan

Hello there,
    Mrs Palace Fan and I are planning a visit to see the race this year.
    Probably a Dover Calais/Dunkerque ferry and drive into Belgium. We thought we’d park the camper a way out of town and ride in to watch the race at the Mur de Huy.

Might spend a few nights elswwhere in Belgium.

So, any suggestions for watching the race or other things to do/see in Belgium. Beer drinking is a given 🙂

APF

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

how much are you into road riding? We did the Roubaix sportif the day before the race, but we also went to Belgium to recce it for a weekend. On the recce weekend we actually rode most of the Roubaix pave on the Saturday, then drove over and rode the Flanders ‘Bergs the Sunday. Then finished that day in the Oudenarde Vlaanderen museum cafe (they have showers there) drinking their finest beers. From memory we stayed in a cheap chain hotel (Ibis?) in Kortrijk.

alexpalacefan

Not really a roadie as such, will just be taking commuter bikes.

Got a camper to stay in, so any hints for a good spot very welcome.

Also, good bar in Huy to watch the race from? Ideally with great beer, no crowd and a good view of the finish line 😉

APF

dovebiker

Stopping in Oudenaarde and visiting the Tour of Flanders museum is good – you can park just outside the town and then cycle over to the Koppenberg (nice cycle track) or even extend it a bit further to go over to Kluisbergen to do the Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg on the way back! Ardennes has quite a different feel to Flanders – bigger hills for a start. Liege is an absolute dump there are some nice towns like La Roche en Ardennes. Find yourself a traditional hostelry that serves Kriek or Lambic beers – make sure you park your camper in walking distance! It’s gone up in the world since my great uncle Charlie got to spend the winter of 1944 there with the 101st Airborne!

aP
    Free Member

We’re going to Roubaix again this April. In previous years we’ve visited some of the war graves including the new memorial at Notre-Dame-de-Lorette near Arras which won’t be so far off your route.

alexpalacefan

Spot-on db, thanks. I trust great uncle Charlie got home ok.

APF

dovebiker

Yes, delighted to say my uncle Charlie lived a full-life into his 80s.

Bike routes here: http://www.crvv.be/en/317-routes plus you can get maps from the Ronde Museum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘La Flèche Wallonne’ is closed to new replies.