Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kona Unit Sliding Dropout
  • giantjason
    Free Member

Following on from a previous post i have a 2007 Kona Unit SS and although it is a great bike, one thing that always keeps happening is that the rear hub moves in the sliding dropouts.

The rear dropouts are sliding but are closed at the ends like in this picture, meaning i cant use conventional chain tugs to tighten the chain and keep the hub in place. Even if i tighten up the bolts on the dropouts, as much as i can they still move under load.

Does anyone know of any devices (chain tugs or tensioners) to resolve the problem for a closed sliding dropout?

Hip
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 sliding dropout kona’s and dont have a problem with them moving under load. They are always FT tho, I use a long allen key…

Do yours have the serrated washers on the drive side as in the pic you linked to?

giantjason
    Free Member

no, i just have the normal washers.

dont want to tighten them too tight as in the past i have sheared off headset bolts etc

cynic-al
    Free Member

use proper hex head greased bolts and torque them up

giantjason
    Free Member

i have got the proper hex head bolts.

what torque should they be tightened to?

Hip
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be too worried about shearing the bolts, they are M8 and pretty tough. If your worried then get some spares. M8x15, High tensile steel is the strongest.

Both my kona’s have serrated washers on the drive side and plain on the other so I’d try some of those.

You could always try adding a drop or 2 of thread lock to the contact surfaces on the sliders and give it time to dry.

Not sure of the torque setting. Mine are always “FT” 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

240 grit wet and dry the face of the dropout and outside of the frame slidey bit thingy wotsit.I got 2 and have to tighten them occasionally-if ive been really grunty on the ss.But I am 90kg.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kona Unit Sliding Dropout’ is closed to new replies.