Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kona Coiler for dh/freeride in the alps?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

A friend currently has an abused orange hitman hardtail and we're going to morzine mid august… he's had an offer of a coiler for £400 from a guy at work. will it hold up to a week of dh and chatel freeride. he isn't known for holding back. obviously the current state of it will make a difference but lets presume its alright and he's getting a bargain… how much abuse can coilers take? better to try and find a big hit or stinky for a little bit more? or ride the hitman till it dies and hire a bike?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Perfect for it I'd say- they're the main hire bike out there.

Tracey

We have used one in various build ups for the last few years in the Alps

Built up with DHX5 coil, 170mm 66s and DH wheels and tyres for Kevin

Me riding it

Then built up for Katie with DHX5 air, Shermans and lighter wheels an tyres

She also uses it every weekend in the UK

They can take alot of abuse, just check everything over as you would any bike before going going there, at that price as long as its the right size it a bargin

Ours will be having its fifth year of abuse in two weeks time

Tracey

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, we often hire in CoilAirs for guests, good bikes and well up to the job.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

mr MC posting) bizarre as I am trying to sell my Coiler for ~£400! It is plenty good enough for the alps, Ive taken mine to Morzine the last four years and I keep up with riding buddies on big travel Faiths and Glorys and like getting air. And crashing and breaking my knee. Hey ho.

And its easier to ride on the pedally sections than dedicated DH bikes. I only needed to change the bearings in mine once in its 4 year life, cost me about 30 quid to get quality replacements from Bearing-King.

Stick some decent fat tyres and big discs on and it will be fine. I loved mine and am only getting rid of it as I bought my dream bike, a Nomad, and they are too similar in remit to keep both.

edit- Coiler in action in swinley (20 foot gap jump on singletrack at right side of surrey hill reservoir climb, and yes I was sad enough to measure it!)

and dropping over Munqe Chick again in swinley

and the much missed and lamented ladder drops at Cwmcarn

Tracey

Kevin ran his with 2.5 Minions front and rear, loads of room on the rear for a bigger tyre. Dont know about the older ones but our 2005 Coiler Primo has 6" of rear travel. Katie has 2.3 Enduro tyres which look bigger than the Minions but are half the weight. If it wasnt the lure of an SX Trail and the fact that Katie needed a bigger bike then he would still be using it

Tracey

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Why did I ever sell mine? Nice pics MC man – same bike as mine. Sold mine on to a guy in Keswick and as far as I know he's still hammering the living daylights out of it. Only work it ever needed was some new fork bushing after about four years and the usual hayes unsticking.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Sorry for the double topic post.
    That's some good news thanks all, he had a test ride on it tonight and he can't understand why he didn't go full sus years ago ha ha. so i think he'll be getting it, just good to know it'll handle a bit of abuse.
    he was only giving it a test to see if he liked it and was doing 8ft drops on it 😯 nearly joining my 10ft attempts 😉
    he'll have a 2.5" kenda tomac bluegroove for the front at least. may get him to put a 2.5 on the rear too.

nice pics in there, miss the ladders too 🙁 although it was always so bloomin windy up there. and you had to sprint to do the jumps. found it funny that they thought that was the best place for that stuff

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

GR, hmmm having reminisced with the pics I might just mothball the Coiler and not sell it. If I don't get on with the Nomad I'll feel a right prat if I've sold the Coiler which I have loved riding….

chakaping
    Free Member

Had a week in Morzine/Les Gets area on a Big Hit recently, doing mostly DH, and I could have done with a lighter, shorter travel bike for around 70% of the time.

I'm sure a Coiler would be a great choice.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

MC man dont sell it unless you really need the money. I got a yeti 575 which is an incredible bike but I miss the coiler for jumping and bike park stuff, so much more easy going and utterly indestructible. You wont get a lot for it anyway. Expect the nomad will feel awesome, probably going really well where the coiler had shortcomings (like long uphills, think walna scar, heart trying to burst out of me ribcage), but after a few months you will be finding the limits of the new bike and missing the old tank.

Double wall super tacky hight rollers for me by the way. Heavy but you can run them so low that you get a lot of grip. That or minions.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Green room I think you're right there and he's had a big dilemma! he doesn't need the money it's more a space issue but 7 bikes,2 motorbikes and 3 snowboards maybe we just need to move to a bigger house!

GreenRoom
    Free Member

Lol, I'll look after it for you 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kona Coiler for dh/freeride in the alps?’ is closed to new replies.