• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • KMC 9 speed missing link frustration
  • mrbelowski
    Free Member

Arrrggghhhh

I’m fed up with this stupid “removable” 9 spd KMC missing link. I’ve been unable to shift it by hand (tried all the cleaning, twisting, squeezing, swearing, etc) and so I gave up and invested in some magic pliers that squeeze the rollers together. Felt a bit silly buying them as, apart from a bit of fiddling and huffing and puffing, I’ve never had too much trouble with these kind of links.

Finally got some time to whip it off and soak it tonight, and even with the special tool it still won’t budge. If I squeeze the pliers any harder it’ll crush the rollers or break the pliers. I’ve tried regular needle nose pliers, applied across the diagonal as suggested, and in various other ways. I’ve tried folding the chain into a U shape and going at it. I’ve even tried mole grips. I honestly can’t think of any other tools or methods that might shift it. I’m now very angry and my hands hurt a lot.

The only tool that will remove this stupid chain is an old fashioned rivet remover, after which I guess it’ll have to go in the bin (SRAM only from now on).

Am I being retarded?

simondbarnes

Why do you want to take the chain off?

wolly
    Free Member

Go have a brew and come back to it. Always helps

mrbelowski
    Free Member

To clean it

Unfortunately, having a brew and trying again hasn’t helped, neither has leaving it till tomorrow (tried that a few times). This is *so* bloody irritating, to be beaten by something so simple 🙁

I’ll have the last laugh when it’s in the bin and the new SRAM 970 chain arrives (tenner from On One, could be worse I suppose). While I know this is probably just unlucky and all the other KMC chains in the world work as they should, life’s way too short for this nonsense so no more KMC for me

simondbarnes

To clean it

Ah

Am I being retarded?

Yes 🙂

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I think my missus was going to say something similar but thought better of it when she saw the rage in my eyes 🙂

Scapegoat

Why take the chain off to clean it?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

you still need to squeeze the link when using the tool as well, just be careful not to pinch you finger when it moves/open.

I think you must have a dodgy link as 9spd as they normal can be open by hand, 10spd you gen need a tool.
    You sure it was a 9spd link to start with?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Deffo 9 speed link, even says it on the side, and I did squeeze the sides together while operating the not-so-magic tool. It’s got me stumped.

As for cleaning, I like to take the chain off so I can clean it properly and get all the jam off the jockey wheels and stuff. I know there are other methods but, damn it, I got a removable link so I would think it should be a removable sodding chain.

Ah well, split the stupid thing with a rivet remover now

iain1775
    Free Member

Good luck with it,at the risk of sounding like a bit of a vulture, if you won’t be needing the special tool anymore I might take it off your hands…..

theotherjonv

You might need to clean the magic link a bit first – they are pretty tight tolerances and even a bit of sand in between the plates could be enough to stop them squeezing together enough to undo.

mintimperial

Sounds like you might just have had a duff one. I went for a KMC 9 speed last year after killing multiple SRAMs with chainsuck and bad luck, and it’s been grand, no bother at all.

cp

Kmc links work far better than sram in my experience! Never had an issue with 9 speed ones. 10 speed can be a bugger though and need a tool. Wonder if there’s some damage or clagged with gunk?

cp

neninja
    Free Member

Sounds like a weird one.

Been using 9 speed KMC links and more recently 10 speed ones for ages and never had any problem like this with them.

Also use the tool which usually makes the whole job very easy. Prior to that my home made tool from a bit of bent coat hanger was sufficient.

I would treat the link as sacrificial now. Put the tool over the link and if you’ve got one get a G-clamp or Urwin clamp and gradually increase force on the tool whilst squeezing the sides together with needle nose pliers. It’s bound to give eventually.

DanW
    Free Member

KMC links are by far the best- I wouldn’t go swapping them based on this experience!

Is the link new? Is it the first time you are removing it?

As other have said the tolerances are very small and they can be a bit stiff to start with. I use the tool when links are new then can do it be hand when they are a few weeks old.

Pop a link you can open and close by hand in you pack for trail side repairs not a new one which may be too stiff to use by hand! Also, I found the 9spd easier to open by hand than 10spd as others have said so there is definitely something odd going on in your situation!

Clean quick link, pop in pliers, squeeze quick links together, squeeze pliers. Shouldn’t be any harder than that. You did buy the right tool?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘KMC 9 speed missing link frustration’ is closed to new replies.