Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • kitchen fitting question
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I have been quoted £1600 for the following all fitted and stuff supplied from howdens

3x600mm cabinets 2 are drawer type
    1x1000mm cabinet
    8x600mm high gloss doors with bar handles
    1×600 above extractor door
    1x30mm door
    2×600 mm drawers
    Sink
    Worktop

Does this sound reasonable to you??? I have no idea at all about this lol.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Depends hugely on the quality of the units

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t sound too bad to me – depends on the complexity of the fitting and does that include plumbing and electrics

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Not sure if the 7 in your list should be some more units? but if it’s not we’d be looking for about £800 labour for fitting that but that’s with a lot of assumtions on how much work is involved with worktops/water/elecs etc and which range it might be as some have a lot more involved work than others.

£1600 on the face of it doesn’t sound all that bad but then that’s assuming everything is midranged as opposed to basic.

petefromearth

Depends hugely on the quality of the units

does it vary that much? when we were looking it was all much of a muchness. an ikea chipboard box was just as good as a magnet chipboard box from what i could see

if the worktops are solid wood i’d say £1600 for that lot fitted sounds like a good deal. as TJ said it depends on the scope of work and how fiddly it all is

toys19
    Free Member

doenst sound bad, all though I think howdens is overpriced tat.

jamesy01
    Free Member

Worth remembering that Howdens carcases come ready built.

I personally wouldn’t pay any more than £40/unit, £100/3m length of worksurface and £20/m for pelmit, cornice and plates.
    You also need to budget for cutting holes, electrics etc.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

does it vary that much?

Jeez yes. Veneered ones are much cheaper than ones with solid wood doors. Ones with solid doors are much cheaper than ones that are made (including carcasses) from solid wood.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I thought howdens were ok???
    We are replacing the floor carcasses as they are shot. Wall mounted ones are fine. We are having high gloss cream slab style doors i to need to double check on the worktop if thats laminate or not. There are no electrics are being done.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

That price will be for the budget flat pack range. They don’t tell punters about that one, just the trade. They’re crap to be honest. At that price point, Gower rapide are far better quality.

Howdens are generally pretty expensive, especially compared to Magnet trade, which I think are slightly better.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Howdens ARE ok, if a little pricey. A lot better than some other well known outlets in anycase. Just for some people nothing but the best is acceptable.

I guess Glendevon cream is what your having? The worktop I suspect will be laminate for those prices because the real wood ones at Howdens are nearly £300 per 3m length (which is way over priced).

What shape is the kitchen U, L, galley. a lot of work is involved for certain shapes, less so for others. I still reckon the price is in the ball park.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If they are the pre-assembled cabinets they’re good. if they’re flat pack as Monkey says above, they’re not great at all. I don’t think they’ll sell Glendevon frontals with the cheap carcasses though.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The Howdens basic ones as mentioned above are ok, but they are far from being great.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yeah its the glendevon fronts. Havent got the catalogue with me
    Knew it was gle something lol.

Xylene
    Free Member

My brother is in the trade and has told me to go to Howdens get them to quote, if they will give me their trade discount without the hassle of his company ordering then great, if not then he will order the bits for me and invoice me directly.

His general recommendations were to get the kitchen units from Howdens, the tops from somewhere else as I can probably get a better deal.

Get a joiner to fit the tops properly and do the rest myself.

oh and to fit soft close kits and posh taps to cheap sinks. Apparantely the women come into houses when looking to buy open and close the drawers and see the soft close, cream themselves, then notice the posh taps, and ignore the cheap sink.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cheers for the help so far guys.

Quirrel does he recommend anywhere in oarticular for the tops and sinks???

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with Howdens work tops and they’re cheaper than most places equiv. Taps however do tend to be expensive from there.

Cushion closers can be worth spending on but get the clip on Blum hinges not the screw on pistons. Soft close drawers are very expensive but I think they are a good touch but add nearly £50 per drawer.

Don’t go too cheap with the sink, some stuff is really nasty. Franke, Blanco and Astracast are all good quality brands.

Xylene
    Free Member

Quirrel does he recommend anywhere in oarticular for the tops and sinks???

Not really as far as I know.

He’s not really doing it hands-on day to day, he’s the MD of a construction company, but obviously has to have a good idea of what is going on in terms of building tips and tricks to put bids in.

Although he says he is quite handy at fitting a kitchen now having done three for himself and other family.

I was looking at taps (as you do) when last in B&Q and just about spat everywhere when I saw mixer taps at 100 quid a pop, looked nice though. Fancy magnetic holders and extendable heads, they certainly wowed me into wanting them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘kitchen fitting question’ is closed to new replies.