Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kinesis 5T Disc or Pro6. Anyone have one?
  • RustySpanner

Happy?

Mrs S is considering one of the above – the only criticism we can find seems to be the paint.
    Is it really that bad?

Be grateful if you could let us know the biggest tyres you’ve managed to squeeze in.

Would be looking to fit a rack too – seems fine on the 5T but not sure how practical on the Pro6.

All thoughts welcome.

Ta!

swanny853

Pro6, the older model here. Had it three years, paint no better or worse than you’d expect- the odd scuff and mark but that’s all.

Dont think ive used bigger than a 33 in use (on a 21mm int rim) but thats got oretty decent clearance. Iirc correctly i did squeeze a nano in but couldnt even see the clearance

kristoff
    Free Member

I’ve got a pro6 (the bright green variety), had it for about 18months, use it for commuting, road, gentle off road… Been great, built it up with 50/34 and an 11-32 shimano 105 group set. No issues most places I ride.

Currently on 38c tyres with no clearance issues.

senorj

I have a pro 6. It’s smart. My most used cycle.
    The paint on mine is ok, although I did have to face the bb shell. It’s now 4 year old and looks it.ha.
    I have a 35 tyre on mine ,I reckon 40 will fit.
    Someone at work has fitted a rack to theirs.

chowsh
    Free Member

Pro6 disc in the lovely green colour, use it as a winter bike and the odd off road track. Paint has been fine apart from wearing off under the for when I ran a 42c tyre and went on a muddy ride. My fault, too little clearance for tyre + sticky Cotswolds mud. Currently running 40c tyres with no issues. Not sure about a rack but there are holes for fitting something on there.

antigee

pro6 here great bike I run mine with a standard off the shelf (topeak maybe?) rack for lightweight touring duties

a couple of downsides, remembering it was designed as a racing CX bike, – toe overlap on my small size frame, 99.5% of the time not an issue but then i ride over a footbridge with tight turns and get forced to remember it’s a problem!

longer rides does feel a bit like getting beaten up – think it is the shortish chainstays

its a blast on a single track and gravel and all is forgiven

edit not sure if I’d be a bit wary about buying a frame with post mount’s as most seem to be going to flat, depends if worried by resale/fashion values and as per the “disk and forks thread” I will replace with a thru axle forked bike at some point – I switched to DT swiss RWS from standard QR after finding had to do QR’s up very tight to avoid tell tale pinging from front rotor

RustySpanner

Thanks for the responses folks.

How do you find the standover?
    Stack figures seem very low and we’re being recommend a frame with no standover clearance as a result, in order to get the correct position.
    Not something that I’ve experienced before.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Ive got a Pro6 and love it. It gets used for all sorts, commuting, easy off-road, even alpine trips to France. Fitted with rack and mudguards, the SKS stays needed a bit of beding to clear everything but work fine. High bottom bracket means top tube is also high and I guess it has quite a steep head angle as it is quite lively even running the current Vittoria Voyager 40’s.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i lusted after a pro6 a couple of years ago Pete, but in the end i went with a pinnacle arkose 4 instead. you guys considered them? mine’s been brilliant, the only (potential) downside being that you have to buy them from Evans!
    room for big tyres (35c in mine currently), mounts for all sorts of stuff, more relaxed/less racy riding position than the kinesis…

RustySpanner

Thanks.
    Looks like they might not be the frame for Sue.

Off to recheck standover on some real bikes.

I bloody hate buying bikes.
    🙂

Thanks.

Edit – Andy, cheers mate.
    Sue does like the Arkose, along with the new Genesis crosser.

Just off to try a Diverge, Arkose and CdF for size, just to get an idea.

There has to be a lightish frame with low standover that takes a rack, guards, discs and big tyres.

Wish Kinesis still did an alloy Tripster frame…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis 5T Disc or Pro6. Anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.