Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Killing foxes in your garden
  • Lionheart
    Free Member

Out on my old railway track climb to the singletrack I saw a fox today, big and looking very fine. It ambled out of the undergrowth, trotted alongside – with the dogs, they look at it in shocked disbelief and it ambled off off after a nod and a wink. What stood out was his look and that he was utterly silent – all quite cool really.

chorlton
    Free Member

Get an Eagle Owl

They like foxes 😀

brassneck

Any suggestions on how to make your snare differentiate between foxes, badgers, small deer, hares whatever? Or are they all fair game? Just catching a limb is OK? Leting the victim starve/thirst to death because the layer couldn't be arsed to check them for a day or two?

I've lived in the country my whole life apart from a brief abberation for uni, and I've seen more 'collateral damage' from snares than hits, including a fair few pets that had escaped. Even if they weren't grotesquely inhumane I can't see why anyone would choose to use them over a decent marksman, purely from an efficiency point of view.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

why anyone would choose to use them over a decent marksman

Possibly a bit pricey?

slowjo
    Free Member

..and FFS do not use an air rifle on a fox even if it is a .25 FAC gun and even then it would be touch and go. Legal limit air rifles are ok on rabbits and most things down in size from that and even then you need to be a good shot (half inch groups at 35 yards maybe). Shotgun or pest controller and that's it really.

Another thing about foxes in chicken coops – so they kill all the chickens and yes this is bad news all round (not for Foxy though). Doesn't sound dissimilar to dogs running wild in flocks of sheep or indeed, dogs let loose in a chicken coop. I don't hear many people calling for dogs to be snared, clubbed or shot!

In the countryside Foxes cause a problem with poultry and or game birds but they also do a lot of good preying on rabbits so it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other really.

Many shooters would do it for free but definitely not in an urban context you'd get an ARU round in no time.

tron
    Free Member

Any suggestions on how to make your snare differentiate between foxes, badgers, small deer, hares whatever?

The legislation, as I understand it, places the onus on not deliberately attempting to catch Schedule 6 animals.

So a snare near a chicken coop would be fair game, but one near a sett or on a path (and badger paths are damned obvious) wouldn't be.

I am not a lawyer, and I think snares are extremely unpleasant. But some kinds are legal. And I wasn't suggesting an air rifle as a sensible way of killing a Fox above.

Saccades
    Free Member

wire spring cage, bigger than a squirrel one, that way you can check what you have then drop it in a water butt for 30mins.

job done.

midgebait
    Free Member

Looks like the fox isn't the only species which kills for 'fun' 😕

Milkie
    Free Member
    duckman

Chorlton member

Get an Eagle Owl

And what does Mr Owl eat when fox is off the menu?

Owls are clever. Fox,quick sharp and strong..Chickens…not; Choose!

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

I wasn't suggesting an air rifle as a sensible way of killing a Fox

The only way you'll kill a fox with an air rifle is to turn it round and use the butt, i would have thought.

chorlton
    Free Member

And what does Mr Owl eat when fox is off the menu?

Deer. 😀

Farmers kill chickens.
    Can I snare farmers ?

Coyote
    Free Member

Is it illegal to snare an escaped labrat and beat it a few times with the back of an axe? Just to keep it quiet like…

+1

MrNutt
    Free Member

meated grenade!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

I once read a book about this, although it rather took the side of "Mr. Fox" saying that he was "fantastic". i dont think i could kill fantastic mr. fox 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Killing foxes in your garden’ is closed to new replies.