Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Killin Mountain bikers
  • timberjack
    Free Member

Going to be working in Killin Perthshire for 3 or 4 months from mid May onwards just wondering if there is anybody on here from that area or knows of ant decent trails, cheers

woody2000

That’s one heck of a thread title! 🙂

Shackleton

There are man-made(ish) trails at Comrie and some nice rides from Dunkeld and Bankfoot. All well documented on MTBtrails. Can’t offer much more help as I’m in Dundee and those are as far west as I have ventured.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Northwind

I don’t know the area at all for riding, other than that comrie croft is absolutely brilliant. Not long, but there’s so much going on. And more stuff being added. Love it.

GavinB

You need to hook up with Captain Manwairing, from round these parts.

I got shown some great trails around Aberfeldy by him and some mates (which has some amazing riding hidden away), and then after recommendations did some other stuff around Ben Lawers and also Glen Lyon. Just brilliant area to ride in (on and off road).

Its the other end of Loch Tay, but still worth looking at. I’ve also ridden (a few years ago now, so not sure how good it still is) the area around Kenmore, called Drummond Hill.

iainc

My favourite road ride is a big anticlockwise loop starting and finishing in Killin, round the loch and up the steep climb from bridge of Balgie tearoom up Ben lawyers.

timberjack
    Free Member

was up there last year up past the base of ben lawers and up to a dam and a reervoir, found a nice bit of singletrack which led through a forest plantation and then through the bracken back to the main road, it was really good but short, just thought there must be more up there, i will just have to explore or take my road bike and go round loch Tay

user-removed
    Free Member

mattoutandabout used to live there didn’t he?

Garry_Lager

Used to go up that way to Firbush quite a bit – there’s an ok loop on the S of Lock Tay, through the forest roads round Lix then round and up to Lochan Breachlaich (direct road up from Loch Tay is a character-former). You can then ride across past a massive water pipe and take a rough path descent down to Ardeonaig. Alternatively, if you did some heather bashing at the end of the track you’s be across to Loch Lednock and below Ben Chonzie, a popular peak with the munro riders. Glen Turret below that is also a well-ridden area.
    Back the way towards Callender you have Glen Ample, which is an old school sort of route (that I found a bit disappointing) – usually looped up around Loch Lubnaig. There’s another text book one past Balquhidder from K Wilson’s book, but I never got round to doing it.

So only scratched the surface meself – Basically you’re in big riding country there, but it’s easy to end up ambling on forest tracks just admiring the view and not doing much exciting mountain biking. Be helpful if a local could show you around.

matt_outandabout

Hello

Just moved away after near five years there. Poor you. ;}
    Our old lounge view.

Tarmachan Ridge and Falls of Dochart, Killin by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Be prepared for empty trails, following a map and little trails in the woods, and some ‘adventures’. Lost of forest/estate road, old Hydro board tracks and big hills.

Local rides:
    Auchmore woods / Glen Ogle has a few trails – the closer to Killin and Auchmore gorge you are, the more trails there are. The ‘top’ forest road has ace views.

Biking near Killin by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Avoiding homework…. by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Killin MTB trails by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Killin bike ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

You can also go up to the radio mast above Glen Ogle – big climb, hoofing fast descent. This was my last ride in Killin. 🙁

Sron a Clachain (the hill into the park) is worth the haul up from Glen Dochart, then straight down the Chieftan’s nose.

Sron A Clachain by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Sron A Clachain by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Even halfway up is wee rides the local’s enjoyed…

Exif_JPEG_PICTURE by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Glen Dubh and Kendrum make a cracking longer ride.

Glen Dubh by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Glen Kendrum by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Further West again, Kirkton and Ledcharrie are also fab fun – but not if it has been wet.

Go even further west and I (perversely) liked Monachyle and Luib glen, but don’t expect much more than an iffy quad track.

There are lots of old Hydro board roads up Glen DOchart and Lochay – all a few hundred metres of climbing, then pause for the view and head down again…

Glen Lochay, Killin by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Old hydro works are fun:

P1020532 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

I am guessing that Navitron didn’t supply the turbine for this baby… by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Head East and there is loads Glen Almond – Aberfeldy area, but speak to cap’n Mainwaring for a local guide.

I also liked Glen Lyon, lovely over to Rannoch and on some more old hydro and estate roads.

Lots of Munro’s to have a go at as well (Dare you to have a go at the steps alongside the pipeline off Tarmachan, where the DH course is…}

Killin SDA by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

IMGP0481 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

If you are lucky, this bloke and his mates turn up and use your front garden for some fun…

Danny MacAskill by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

^that is all before you get in a car…
    As said though, none is way marked, locals generally do not know about many paths or trails. For years we faced Tarmachan, and I’d suspected a waterfall in the woods. Locals claimed it was just a forest track – and the last few months we were there, I pottered up one day to discover the “lost” waterfalls that used to be one of the main Killin attractions back in the day.
    Learn to love the motorbike trials guys as they build trails all over the place.
    Learn to just follow wee paths in the woods or lines on maps….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Killin Mountain bikers’ is closed to new replies.