Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Kilimanjaro
  • timbo678
    Free Member

Just a passing thought at this moment…but one that may get more interesting!

I am starting to visit Tanzania quite regularly for work over the next 6 months to a year, more specifically Arusha (base for Kili climbs).

Does anyone know of any cycle expeditions up (and more excitingly, down) Kili? If not has anyone climbed it and do you think it would be possible?

Many thanks

rusty90
    Free Member

See Anyone climbed kilimanjaro?
    Yes, the Crane brothers did it in the 80’s (?), basically an extended advert for Saracen mountain bikes 😀

timbo678
    Free Member

Nice one thanks, something I will add to my list I think!

Gotama
    Free Member

If you want a real target to aim at some Austrian lunatic has run up and down it in just over 7 hours 😯

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Bad News: it’s not allowed.

I looked into this last year as it looked amazing. I contacted various trekking companies and the relevant tourist authorities and they all said it was not allowed.

gutted

grum
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA9rQ9OjluE&feature=relmfu[/video]

jameso

^ wouldn’t last long in the DMC competitions would he )

Sad to hear it’s not allowed now, got the Crane’s book and found the whole thing pretty inspiring when I was younger, it was always one of those ‘one day maybe’ trip ideas. Even if it looked like just one big carry.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yup, Kilimanjaro is a “no-fun” zone. No mountain-biking, paragliding, skiing on the rapidly-vanishing snows, etc.

avdave2

Cheer yourself up by listening to this

timbo678
    Free Member

Ah well after seeing that video, I am selling my bike and buying an all white suit..amazing

Helios
    Free Member

If you want mountain biking in Tanzania, (although as noted, not on Kili) you could try Summits Africa: http://www.summits-africa.com/

I know Ake and Ema who run the company – great guys, good bikers, and they do lots of stuff across East Africa for the more adventurously minded.

They’re based in Arusha (where I used to live!)

coastkid
    Free Member

I just blogged the Cranes Book last week; Bicycles up Kilimanjaro

🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Whats the highest point in Liverpool?

Killamanforhisgiro.

IGMC.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Kilimanjaro’ is closed to new replies.