• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jsm.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Kielder midges
  • mark_b
    Free Member

Off on holiday up near Kielder, and as much as i'd love to ride the new Deadwater fell trails, i still have flashbacks to the Polaris held there back in July 2002 (?) when we spent the whole time being swarmed by the massive Kielder midges 🙁

On the one hand i'm grateful for the experience as i can now laugh off the bites of the mini Scottish variety, but i'm not sure i want to experience them again if i can at all avoid it !

So the question is – are the midges just as prolific, or did these ever make an impact on the midge population ?

Or am i just going to have to MTFU and see if Avon Skin So Soft cream repels them 😕 ?

unsponsored
    Free Member

In Kielder two weeks ago and the midge level was low. I usually get attacked pretty badly but left with only three bites.

Autan works really well.

Its been chucking it down in the NE (like the rest of the UK), if this is followed by a nice warm/humid spell then the midge will be loving it.

jim
    Free Member

Its been chucking it down in the NE (like the rest of the UK), if this is followed by a nice warm/humid spell then the midge will be loving it.

I reckon they'll be about the size of your fist by now 😉

Drac

The Midgeater has been designed to reduce midge numbers as effectively as the myxomatosis outbreak of the 1950s wiped out most of the rabbit population.

I think this part will answer your question.

sofatester
    Free Member

I reckon they'll be about the size of your fist by now

Does that mean everyone up there is going to get fisted by the midges 😯

jsm

mark_b – midges so bad, the race organisers wore bee keeping outfits!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kielder midges’ is closed to new replies.