Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Kielder 100 Midges – good news, we must have been dreaming (nightmare)
  • adrianbutter
    Free Member

According to
    http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

the midge level now is 'negligible..'

Other than being bitten to hell – I had a great day out on the Kielder 100 (kms! for me)… See you next year.
    Ade

samuri
    Free Member

I'm getting me one of those midge masks.

Drac

Snap Samuri may look a tit but least I'll not be being used as a feking landing site for them.

adrianbutter
    Free Member

At one point I was covered in hundreds, including eyes, trying to keep pace on some lovely single track with 2 or 3 bods on my tail…

luked2
    Free Member

A chap from the forestry commission in the queue for the burger stand told me that it's all in the mind.

stooo
    Free Member

All in the mind…

check out what they did to my legs! Pretty sure I'm not imagining that.

stooo
    Free Member
    ilikebikes
    Free Member

It was terrible.

igm

I thought the Avon stuff I was wearing wasn't working but it sounds like it did a decent job of cutting down the problem.

samuri
    Free Member

You should have bought some of the insect repellent from the kielder campsite shop.
    http://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/insect-protection/insect-repellent/repel-55-insect-repellent-spray-120ml/

It's probably on the Geneva convention in the banned section. I accidentally got some on my lip, it was still burning the next morning.

uplink
    Free Member

I used 100% Deet – specifically Repel 100

I came away with just one bite to my hand – I normally get bitten to hell
    The little buggers were still annoying but they didn't bite – just died on my skin

Drac

I reckon they were enjoying the southern fried chicken legs as I usually get eaten alive. They were crawling on me but considering they were literary in their millions at the prize presentation, I was scarping them off my cothes, head and face, I have very few bites maybe 12 in total most of them were from Friday night.

Mind you as was bathing in Jungle formula and other deet products, it took a lot of head and shoulders to get my locks to the flowing glory again.

luked2
    Free Member

I used Avon Skin-so-soft. Maybe it actually works – I had them crawling on me but very few actual bites. Still unpleasant though.

uplink
    Free Member

I couldn't get rid of them out of the car either

We made sure we didn't leave any windows or doors open but a small swarm of them still managed to get in yesterday morning as we were leaving
    Even opening all the windows several times @50/60 mph down the road didn't totally get rid of them, every time I closed the windows again they were back – circling around like little vultures
    🙂

twinklydave

I got decent anti-midge results using the same stuff samuri did (from the campsite shop), however I also got some on my lip and…well lets just say I sort of felt sorry for the midges 😆

£5 for a tiny little bottle though, they know a captive market when they see one up there!

don't know if everyone will be able to see this: example of negligible midges in action

Drac

Dear me it was horrible that photo is making me itch.

Actually we need to show the numpty how claimed there's no midgies after Scotland that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 Midges – good news, we must have been dreaming (nightmare)’ is closed to new replies.