Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • kids rugby protection and kit HELP?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

following on from my thread a few weeks back the young un’ has not only started with the local club but thoroughly enjoys it.

i’m starting to look into some head gear and body protection for him, and i’d also like to get some base layers (freezing tonight in torrential rain)… and i’m well out of my league. surf and skate i can do, but team sports, jeez!!!

can anyone give me some advice on good brands to look at, any to avoid, recommend any head/body protection and finally online stores?

boy is 8, average size, if that matters.

thanks

Albanach
    Free Member

I gave up playing a good while ago but used to get a few bits and bobs from Lovell Rugby (this link takes you straight to kids section).

Canterbury headgear is very good kit in terms of comfort and sturdiness. Used to use Optimum pads and never had any issues, as for base layers we didn’t have them in my day 😛 but again Canterbury would probably be a good bet.

I’m sure google will come up with a few answers as well.

stevemorg2

There is a lot of stuff out there so make sure you get the headgear that fits – we tried on 3 different types before settling on a Canterbury head guard. My lad used to use Helly Hansen base layers but we’ve just got some Rhino kit which seems to be a bit warmer

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

we didn’t have them in my day

tell me about it… when the parent told me about head gear i said ‘why, whats wrong with duct tape like i used to use?’ : )

rhys
    Free Member

Gav

Loads to try in Tony Pryce or Studds in Newquay. Not all kids get on with them though. Iwan has one but wont wear it!!

mefty
    Free Member

Kid wear protection at the age of 8! Good grief, times have changed.

duckman

A gum shield is a must. May I suggest not padding shoulders and head for a few years? You need to learn how to tackle etc, pads give a false sense of security and allow to skip technique.

mudpup
    Free Member

Decathlon do some budget stuff if youre not sure whether he’ll stick with it thru the winter. Gumshields are a couple of quid and the base layers are about 8 – 10 pounds.

stevemorg2

we had Decathlon body armour when my lad first started playing – not that impressed TBH

Pigface
    Free Member

Duckman speaks words of rare wisdom, gum shield yes nothing else.

sadmadalan

After the gum shield the most important thing is too keep warm. Padding/head guards are not really necessary at that age. Layers are important – it is easy to take layers off and on, depending on how hot/cold he is feeling.

We got headguards / body padding for both lads (now 20 and 18) when they were about 13. Both wore it for a couple of years. Son number 1 wears a head guard, because he is a hooker and he has dreadlocks! Son number 2, a second row, wears now padding.

Don’t worry too much about brands – at that age it is likely to get lost or outgrown before it has seen too much use!

Another tip is too take some warm kit for afterwards and take any damp/muddy clothing off. It will add to the washing pile, but the act of putting on dry clothing makes a difference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘kids rugby protection and kit HELP?’ is closed to new replies.