Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Kids bikes: Islabikes Cnoc 14 or Ridgeback MX14 or something else?
  • el_boufador

Our eldest has just about mastered his Islabikes Rothan balance bike, and it’s his 3rd birthday in a couple of months so we are going to buy him a bike with pedals and brakes.

Looking online, Islabikes Cnoc 14 and Ridgeback MX14 look the best. They’re both the same price, and the main headline difference between them seems to be that the ridgeback has front and rear brakes, which I think is a plus (I would take the front brake off initially, then put back on later when the rear brake was mastered). However, the Cnoc looks really well thought out (just like the Rothan he has now) with proper kids sized brake lever & grips, steering limiter etc, and it’s light.
    Does anyone know how the ridgeback measures up to the Cnoc in these ‘little touches’ ways? (the ridgeback website has bugger-all info!)

Also, I’d be interested to hear any other recommendations.

Ta!

geoffj

Ridgeback MX 16 here and junior loves it. Highly recommended.
    Islabikes probably edge it on the resale value, but (as others have pointed out) their colour schemes are a little dull.
    If you have a relationship with an LBS that can get you a ridgeback go with that.

heihei

4yr old daughter has a Cnoc 14 after progressing from a Scoot and loves it. It is very well designed and made, with everything sized accordingly. Braking is the main difficulty my daughter faces – it’s an all or nothing affair at the moment which can produce some impressive skidz, but definately means a front brake isn’t a good idea!! Isla bikes for me all the way.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

can’t comment on the Ridgeback but I’ve just bought a Cnoc 14 for my 4yr old girl for her first pedal bikes, after a year or so on the balance bike (Kokua). Impressed. Not that light but good spec and well designed. Has a steering limiter which looks handy, and the brakes/grips/pedals etc. are all sized properly. Wheels and tyres are good and no obvious silly cost cutting.

I don’t think the rear-only brake is a deal breaker myself. I’d agree with heihei that it’s fine for a child of that age – I used to ride a BMX for 5 years with just a rear and that was okay….

Took her ten minutes to crossover from the Kokua to the pedals. Well impressed. Anyone who still thinks stabilisers have a future then just come round my house!

carlphillips
    Free Member

cnoc here my boy loves it

el_boufador

Thanks all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kids bikes: Islabikes Cnoc 14 or Ridgeback MX14 or something else?’ is closed to new replies.