Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • KaTec Bikes… for all your custom beairng needs
  • kaesae
    Free Member

note to self reseruct thread every equinox and say something silly profound about astral alignment bringing him good chi

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

genuinely decent guy from what ive experienced, so if you are reading this from a google link – do take the top page with a touch of salt!

he is great, really into his bearings, clearly his calling in life – ignore the threads from singletrackworld, email him directly and you will be treated as a valued and important customer! he really is top draw, and im sure should you ever have a problem with bearings you buy (doubt you will) im sure he would sort you out!

he gave me some free bearings for the frame, since then im about to order some pro2 bearings, hes talked me through it, and even offered advice on how to fit etc!

seriously anything on this forum should be taken with a pinch of salt, if he got off to a bad start, or rubs some folk up the wrong way, id seriously try to see past it if your interested in some decent, cheap bearings!

i really really think hes like the equivalent to hopes customer service, cannot fault it!

el_diablo
    Free Member

Well, he seems all right to me, did a deal via email, paid by paypal on Sunday and bearings just arrived.

wwaswas

comes with free bank fraud as well!

I’d prefer it if you stuck to bigging your own products/service and not dissing other peoples – Neil at Superstar gained a lot of ill feeling by doing that.

clubber
    Free Member

Not to mention the risk of legalities and STW being persued.

Clobber
    Free Member

Seems very helpful to me… great service so far…

sv

comes with free bank fraud as well!

Not exactly a great statement seeing as CRC spend a fair bit on advertising here on STW! IIRC you got banned from another MTB forum for bashing one of its sponsors.

Trekster

He has gone biking, mailed him earlier re some bearings and got almost instant reply 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

well I said it 11 months ago and I’ll say it again quite happily
    He is a top bloke and has a good product
    My bearings are still going strong nearly a year later
    The 2nd set he supplied to my brother in law are good too, both arrived within a couple of days of not paying 🙂
    Helpful bloke too and some good craic over the email
    Its nice to deal with little garden shed companies that have time for their customers and are passionate about what they do. I ve had to parcels from other such places arrive today, both with nice hand written delivery notes and both within 48hours of placing orders. All good by me, especially as its a sunny day 😀

stitedraught
    Free Member

Hiya folks.

I’ve come across this thread after doing an ebay search for ‘marin’ and the closest seller was katec bikes/ airbourne – obviously brought back memories.

I’m going to post about my experience with Katec bikes:

Firstly, He was offering free bearings on descent-world; I missed that offer, but, he said he would check my bike over for me. Absoutely stoked, gift horse etc.

He offered to set up my chain device for me and even swapped a used bottom bracket for used, so the chain device would fit.

However, the chain device was not seated probably and was set up incorrectly. He’s in a top floor flat and I tested it when I got home. I actually took the bike to a shop at Inners, when I found out about the problem.

Also, during this free check up, he overtightened my juicy 7 rear brake, that’s connected to the bars, which resulted with it damaging the bolt; which I had to drill out.

I didn’t find out about these problems or his internet history till after I’d met him.

I’ll point out I paid him £20 and I insisted he take it, as he is a business after all and in my eyes his good will gesture of a free bike check deserved something in return.

I’m just giving my experience regarding my own dealing with Kal. Obviously not as positive as others have had. I don’t know if he is mechanic-trained or self-taught but I wouldn’t be using his services, paid or free, again.

Cheers.

kaesae
    Free Member

stitedraught – Member
    Hiya folks.

I’ve come across this thread after doing an ebay search for ‘marin’ and the closest seller was katec bikes/ airbourne – obviously brought back memories.

I’m going to post about my experience with Katec bikes:

Firstly, He was offering free bearings on descent-world; I missed that offer, but, he said he would check my bike over for me. Absoutely stoked, gift horse etc.

He offered to set up my chain device for me and even swapped a used bottom bracket for used, so the chain device would fit.

However, the chain device was not seated probably and was set up incorrectly. He’s in a top floor flat and I tested it when I got home. I actually took the bike to a shop at Inners, when I found out about the problem.

Also, during this free check up, he overtightened my juicy 7 rear brake, that’s connected to the bars, which resulted with it damaging the bolt; which I had to drill out.

I didn’t find out about these problems or his internet history till after I’d met him.

I’ll point out I paid him £20 and I insisted he take it, as he is a business after all and in my eyes his good will gesture of a free bike check deserved something in return.

I’m just giving my experience regarding my own dealing with Kal. Obviously not as positive as others have had. I don’t know if he is mechanic-trained or self-taught but I wouldn’t be using his services, paid or free, again.

Cheers.

@ stitedraught, Welcome to STW and congratulations on your first post.

Chain devices are tricky when they are not specific to a frame and you have to work with whatever is to hand. Since it was necessary to change the BB I will assume that the chain device didn’t come with the frame ❓

Can you remind me what kind of bike you have and also what kind of device it was. Since I have no recollection of anyone contacting me about a chain device not being seated properly or of damage to a brake. I don’t really have any idea of who you are or when this occured ❓

Also what kind of torque wrench do you use when working on bikes, especially delicate screws like those on a brake lever ❓

Lastly, I’m not too sure how an ebay search for Marin would have brought you to STW ❓

legend
    Free Member

Here we go again…..

kaesae
    Free Member

😯

crapbag
    Free Member

hey there all,

I have some of kaesae’s bearings on my commencal meta 5.5 and they have been in there for over a year and are still smooth as a babies bum and have been smashed around on the 7 staines, the beast marin, langdeglla, cwm carn, afan and cannock many many times, and when i did get the bearings from kaesae he quickly responded to email and gave GOOD advice when i asked what were possibly stoopid questions. I really cant fault the bloke, I have since recomended him to three of my mates and I also intend to get his bearing insert and extraction tool, so come on guys share the love and try not to be haters!

ride well dudes

crapbag

retro83
    Free Member

cool thread resurrection bro

supertacky
    Free Member

I bought a full set from Katec last summer to refurb my 08 Glory. Only good things to report back.
    Quick hassle free purchase. Quick postage. Good quality bearings with loads of grease inside unlike some others. I fitted them carefully and they’ve been ace.

I’d recommend.

gamo
    Free Member

As above have used and recommended to others already.

mustard
    Free Member

I didn’t realise it was the equinox 😉

rotten
    Free Member

Bought a set of bearings for Mavic sx wheels and he threw in a free set for my 5. Seemed a nice guy on the phone,I recommend him and will use him again.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

His rehabilitation was completed months ago so the less of the haters schtick is old news. He started out here with some mouth-foaming aggression as a result of his previous dabbling selling used reconditioned frames which to some people looked hooky. Despite initially genuinely fearing for his mental health after reading some of his disturbing rants, most people have been won over by his singleminded passion for something as mundane as bearings, and his genuine desire to help.

cakefacesmallblock

Bought bearings for my Trance from Kaesae just a few weeks back. Recommended by folk on here. A few emails and some daft questions from me and sensible answers from Kaesae, were followed by superquick delivery of bearings.
    Dismantled my bike completely for the first time, made up my own press and removed old and fitted new bearings in a couple of hours.
    Decent guy to trade with. Honest , helpful advice and I’m pleased to support “men in sheds”. Recommended to mates too. I’ll be back next time.

joeegg
    Free Member

Bought bearings for my Reign from Kaesae.

Arrived quickly.Good quality.Cheaper than a bearing supplier.Tips on fitting the bearings if you need them.All sizes correct.Job done.
    First place i’d look if i needed some more bearings.

martinxyz
    Free Member
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have his bearings in my Hope hubs and have had no problems at all.

When my other bike needs new bearings I will be putting Katec bearings in.

Helpful chap in my experience.

sv

🙄

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The thing with “social websites” including this one – is that some guff you posted years ago whilst stoned can and does become one of the top 3 google listing for said name overriding all your best subsequent intentions.

sc-xc

KaTecbook?

TwiTec?

LinKaTin?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

sc-xc? eh?

I’m on the chaps side here btw.

sc-xc

*slaps head*

I thought you were meaning to post in the Linkedin thread!

/feelsstupid

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Brought some pro2 rear bearings today so fingers crossed ;).
    But I’m sure they will be fine.

druidh
    Free Member

That reminds me. I need to get in touch with kasae about some bearings for the Blur

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Kaesae – btw I need some bearings for a Yeti ASR-SL – the top pivot ones with the extended inner race. Are you able to do those?

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m waiting on some uprated polywhatsit shock bushes from him. I will deffo be checking his bearings out when it’s service time.

iain1775
    Free Member

Are we on again?
    Nice thread resurrection crapbag (again 😉 )
    23 months on now (can’t believe it’s that long!) my meta berings still okay, starting to show signs of water ingress but that’s hardly surprising given the conditions I’ve ridden in and the complete lack of maintenance I’ve given the bike
    I can’t complain at 2 years from a set of bearings
    Tempted given the issues of getting Commencal meta main berings out to try his new bearing puller

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

All hail Kaesae!

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve had sets of him for my previous Anthem X and a couple of sets of wheel bearings. All have performed faultlessly and have been delivered quickly.

I recently asked him about a certain size of bearing for my son’s scooter wheels and he sent me some FOC. I actually Paypal’d him some funds for them anyway when they arrived but he had sent them not expecting any payment. Top bloke.

DrP

Iain1775 – have a peek here for a breif run down on whipping the main bearings out of a meta frame….

DrP

monkeychild
    Free Member

Bushes arrived today! Top service. I like his invoices too, they make you feel all fuzzy inside 🙂

robhughes
    Free Member

Three sets of pro2 hubs and free hub bearings and a complete set of Trance X bearings.
    All been running for over 12 months.
    You really won,t get better bearings anywhere else.
    He really is one top guy as well. 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘KaTec Bikes… for all your custom beairng needs’ is closed to new replies.