Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • just sounding out opinions & chancing my arm a bit…
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a friend who has just undergone a lumpectomy for breast cancer.
    She has recently discovered the joy’s of mtb’ing & at the moment has a horrible halfords ‘special’ dual-suss bike.

Now, she’s a single mum & doesn’t have much cash but i want to entice her to get better & back out riding as soon as the docs say she can, so…

I’m just wondering at the moment if anyone has an old women’s hardtail frame they would like to donate to a good cause?
    I can’t afford to be buying her a bike (plus she might get the wrong idea) but i can get a frame powder-coated etc. then attempt to find the parts to build her a bike.
    She’s 5’2″ if thats any help?

Is this a good idea?

coffeeking
    Free Member

She still might get the wrong idea?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

possibly, but that’s not what i’m about, have a partner already.

Just like to do something for an old friend who really wants to continue riding, the docs have warned her off due the the risk (allegedly) of lymphoedema.

rOcKeTdOg

lymphatic oedema is an awful condition, so i’d do as the docs say if it’s going to avoid the chances of that developing, did she have extensive axillary nodes removed aswell?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Not sure to be honest, she’s just out of the hospital today & i’ll see her when she’s ready for visitors. I believe she’s had nodes removed from her armpit though.

Whilst she understands that lymphoedema is a serious condition, she wants to continue living as normal a life as possible, she’ll have to give up her kick-boxing due to the threat, but because (i believe) it ‘CAN’ be caused by a knock etc the doc has advised no mtb’ing either.
    To be honest, she’s only a beginner anyway but it’s something she enjoys & we are going to look into ways of minimising the risk – body armour, compression supports etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘just sounding out opinions & chancing my arm a bit…’ is closed to new replies.