Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Just in time for a zombie apocolypse – Farage says 'lets get tooled up'
  • dannybgoode
    kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Now that they have been banned there’s zero danger they will ever be legal again. Would be very interesting to see if legalising them had any effect on crims getting hold of handguns though, there must be plenty of them going around under the radar anyway.

winston_dog
    Free Member

The rights and wrongs of handgun ownership were debated after the Dunblane tragedy.

He is right that it was a knee jerk reaction to a terrible event. It has probably made very little difference to the illegal use of handguns.

Doubt they will ever be legal again though.

I am not a UKIP supporter.

dannybgoode

Thing about Dunblane (and by definition most mass shootings in the good ol’ US) is that the guns are / were legally held.

Yes the criminal world will get hold of one if they want to but the less guns in circulation whether legal or illegal can only be a good thing.

tomkerton
    Free Member

What Danny said.

winston_dog
    Free Member

The Swiss and the Fins have a lot of legally held guns, I wasn’t aware that they had a lot of problems with mass murder?

Norway has a very low crime rate, is a very liberal, forward thinking Country, yet they had the worst mass shooting in Europe and worse than any event in the US.

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, to be fair to Farage, at least its a better thought out and more realistic policy than Ed Balls offering a cast iron guarantee of tax surplus by 2020 (we’ll end boom and bust, again! 😆 )

crankboy
    Free Member

I can’t recall the exact details but I read a statistic the other day that was clear that you have more chance of being killed in American by a legally held gun in the hands of someone lawfully holding it than by a criminal .

5thElefant
    Free Member

I can’t recall the exact details but I read a statistic the other day that was clear that you have more chance of being killed in American by a legally held gun in the hands of someone lawfully holding it than by a criminal .

Given that only convicted felons aren’t supposed to have guns that’s pretty much inevitable.

Leglising target shooting again would be sensible, but it won’t happen. They’ve got bigger things to worry about anyway…

Tiger6791

Look at the vote!!

That surprised me

julianwilson
    Free Member

I hope I have surmised the following correctly from listening to Farrage’s interview yesterday:

“our 2010 manifesto was a load of cobblers that I never read and just wrote the intro to and signed the end.”
    “the man that wrote it was a complete idiot but it’s ok cos he left and joined the conservative party”
    “lets (with limits) legalize handguns”

Truly, this man is the comedy gift that keeps on giving. 😆
    I begin to wonder whether the purple party has no real supporters as such, just a huge network of undercover political activists working hard at setup/front to make the red and blue ones look credible and acceptable in comparison.

Tiger6791

winston_dog – Member
    The Swiss and the Fins have a lot of legally held guns, I wasn’t aware that they had a lot of problems with mass murder?

Both not great in the Death by Firearm tables

Normalised to Deaths per 100,000 Swiss & Fins 3.8 ish

US is 10

UK is 0.25

No guns seems like a good thing

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, to be fair to Farage, at least its a better thought out and more realistic policy than Ed Balls offering a cast iron guarantee of tax surplus by 2020 (we’ll end boom and bust, again! )

And that’s relevant to the thread…how? 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

So do the brits winston.

All be it rifles & shotguns

Friend of mine has a cabinet in her attic – the hoops she had to jump through to get it ….

The hoops we had to jump through to get it into the attic – get it anchored – and inspected afterwards :/

She shoots targets competitively 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

I can’t recall the exact details but I read a statistic the other day that was clear that you have more chance of being killed in American by a legally held gun in the hands of someone lawfully holding it than by a criminal.

*Wonders whether this includes instances of friendly fire in combat or just Tarantino re-enactments and Brandon Lee films.*

ninfan
    Free Member

relevant to the thread

Because in the desperate struggle for publicity, sometimes politicians say stupid unrealistic things that they have not thought out and have no intention of doing 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Because in the desperate struggle for publicity, sometimes politicians say stupid unrealistic things that they have not thought out and have no intention of doing

Ok, fairy nuff. It’s not relevant to the thread then.

Or we could put it like this…

Because in the desperate struggle for publicity diversion, sometimes politicians posters say post stupid unrealistic irrelevant things that they have not thought out considered to be relevant to the thread and have no intention of doing

winston_dog
    Free Member

Both not great in the Death by Firearm tables

Normalised to Deaths per 100,000 Swiss & Fins 3.8 ish

US is 10

UK is 0.25

No guns seems like a good thing

However, the UK has a murder rate of 1.2, the Swiss 0.7 and the Finns 2.2. Those crazy folks in Belgium manage 1.7.

Sweden and Norway who like their guns, come in at 0.9 and 1.0.

It looks like us Brits manage to murder each other without the help of guns anyway.

julianwilson
    Free Member

One of these days I am going stop posting what I actally think or believe, and start posting faintly comedy responses to what I see as entrenched and extreme (but in reality usually libertarian or lefty) opinions on stw.

IIRC this was his 2011 MO/manifesto as elucidated to us by ninfan labrat z-11(ah, whatever he was called back then, you know who i mean) when everyone got together and apologised to each other on the huge “omg they banned tj” thread.

Well, either that, or he just really really wants his handgun back. (did you see what I did there? 😉 )

scotroutes

People I wouldn’t want to own a handgun;
    Murderers
    Loonies
    Folk who vote UKIP(or have I covered them already?)

dannybgoode

Or in the words of Mr Farage himself; Extremists, Barmy People and Nasty People.

Apparently he doesn’t want any of them types in UKIP (I’d imagine that we can immigrants, people who use to claim benefits and anyone whose skin is light brown or darker but that goes without saying).

With that in mind I am surprised they have any members at all…

gordimhor

So the Olympic team had to go to France to practice, oh what a shame! Why should we not aim for zero handguns ?

footflaps

Have to say, shooting 9mm pistols on a range is brilliantly fun. Personally I’d love to own and shoot guns for fun.

9mm by brf, on Flickr

revs1972
    Free Member

With you there Footflaps.
    You can of course own and shoot a LBP ( long barrelled pistol) which is basically a standard pistol with a fixed moderator and a big coat hanger with a spoon on sticking out the back.
    Our gun laws are very strict , and stop you from legally building an arsenal as there are limited slots that allow you to have a small number at any one time, and you have to justify why you need one etc etc.
    I’m glad it will never be like the USA where it is relatively simple to get a gun, but people should be able to enjoy the sport over here without others panicking that Joe Bloggs is going to go on the rampage just because he legally holds firearms !

piemonster

Why Two Mass Shootings Will Not Change Swiss Gun Culture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauhajoki_school_shooting

JAG

I agree with Footflaps and Mr Farage 🙂

But just about the handgun thing!

scandal42
    Free Member

I think we should ban cars, far more dangerous and widespread.

I saw one in the hands of a real nutter today.

CountZero

Thing about Dunblane (and by definition most mass shootings in the good ol’ US) is that the guns are / were legally held.

Yes, they were, against the advice of police officers who were familiar with the individual holding them, but who were overridden by the chief constable, IIRC from the news reports at the time. The same thing in Hungerford, although the guns used there were illegal, and I believe the perp had legal guns and was a member of a range, doubts had been raised about him, and his suitability to hold them, nothing was done about it.
    I’m a bit hazy about all the details, now, and it’s a fact that most firearm incidents involve shotguns, which people are still able to hold a licence for.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Usually crap here.
    Just a thought.
    Why are one or two lives regarded as more important than a widespread freedom in this context yet we, as a society, condone, multiple deaths just everyone feels they have a right to a car?
    Have a look at some of the responses to the speeding thread.
    Not defending or condemning so much as pointing out the outrageous double standards.
    Re the last post above. Probably true but I bet the numbers of incidents from legitimate users to innocent 3rd parties are low. Farmers potting burglars should get medals.

kimbers
    piemonster

Not defending or condemning so much as pointing out the outrageous double standards.

Genuine question, how many posters on this thread are condoning speeding on the other thread?

maccruiskeen

Hot off the press

UKIP’s latest party political broadcast

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDP8BRSEjrA[/video]

ninfan
    Free Member

UKIP’s latest party political broadcast

Wait till you see Farage get Brillo’d on the daily politics:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-9R6NCZ0A[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

“Re the last post above. Probably true but I bet the numbers of incidents from legitimate users to innocent 3rd parties are low. Farmers potting burglars should get medals.”

What woukd farmers shooting their female companions and themselves get in your world?

oldnpastit

If he gets in, I’m moving to the People’s Republic of Scotland.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Just in time for a zombie apocolypse – Farage says 'lets get tooled up'’ is closed to new replies.