Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Just how heavy are MTB tandems?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind a tandem. Who’s selling?

tinsy
    Free Member

If its just a starter bike, couldnt you just run somthing like the Schwinn ones on ebay for £400 I understand like anything you get what you pay for, but just to have a wobble in the park even the timbeline one should be up for that at £220.. At that price it must still be worth something second hand if you decide on going the whole hog for an offroad specific bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The issue with starting like that tinsy is that upgrading gradually is not really possible / worthwhile. start with a Dawes or similar and you can upgrade it in stages then reframe it.

tinsy
    Free Member

TJ, I do get your point, its how i do stuff for my own bikes, but I know I am going to like it, & upgrade it.

These are rubbish in comparison I know, but cheap and availiable to just have a go. Then trade up, its just a simple and relatively cheap option. (for the lazy amongst us maybe)

mick_r

I’m selling (very soon)! Cannondale MT900, 20″/18″ (suits me at 5-10″ and mrs at 5-6″). Very long top tube on rear so stoker has plenty of room.

Busy for the next 2 weeks so not going to list until all ready to sell / photos done etc.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

This was ours, a Full suspension Orbit Andromeda it got stolen from our garage near Thetford on 14 Feb 2007

It must have been about 40-45lbs though you don’t notice the weight when you’re riding like you do on a single. They’re quite tricky to get on a roof rack on your own.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Blimey I don’t think I’d trust those superlightweight Maverick forks on the front of a tandem!

mrnmissespanda

We have just bought a reflex timberline for a grand total of £193. We have only ridden it briefly down the road. We shall attempt off road this weekend. Hopefully it will be a giggle, and the crashes wont be to bad!

Panda

basonjillett
    Free Member

Looks nice Stu hows that fork ?

singlespeedstu

Jase.

I’ll tell you tomorrow after we’ve been out on it…..

tandemwarriors

Using the highly advanced technique of standing on the bathroom scales, then picking up the bike, Nancy the Ventana comes in at 49lbs.

Never weighed her before, and I never weighed the cannondale before we stipped her, so can’t compare. She rides much lighter than the ‘dale, even though I’m sure she’ll be heavier due to rear shock etc.

She does have a very hefty build spec though. We’re not the lightest team so the wheels are burly D321’s on Big Uns, and the ‘zochhi 66’s must add a ton on their own. Now we are full suss a slightly lighter wheel spec would probably be ok, though it is reassuring to be able to bash over things without worrying about a mechanical failure.

Rob

singlespeedstu

Rob.

Once we get to grips with ours we plan on upgradeing to a Ventana. 😉

Well when we’ve save up the wheelbarrow full of cash for it aswell. 😥 😉

robdob
    Free Member

“Getting our tandem down from the loft”

You have to be kidding, right?

What kind of monster loft hatch do you have?

robdob
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Robdob would love a tandem but getting one our size is almost impossible. I am 5’7″ with 29″ inside leg, so I can usually ride a 16″ frame but she is 4’11” and a 12.5″ GT MTB is nearly too big for her!!

Anyone seen a 16/12″ tandem? Didn’t think so!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Robdob. Mtb tandems in the states will make you a frame in any size for much cheapness. You can also get tandems off the shelf in that sort of size – but not “real” mtb ones

I am 5’10” and swmbo is 5’4″ – on our dale (M/S) she has about 5″ of seatpost showing so I am sure your missus would fit but no room for a thudbuster

tandemwarriors

SSS, yes unfortuately they aren’t cheap, but they are a beautiful work of art. We were fortunate to benefit from an inheritance to buy ours, hence she’s called Nancy.

Getting her on and off the car roof is managable, but the loft????? Riding back down the stairs could be fun though!

Rob

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My tandem lives in the flat – 106 stairs up

tandemwarriors

Ah, TJ’s secret to being good at riding down steps!
    My solo used to live in my bedroom at my mum’s house, bikes in sheds in Nottingham don’t have a high life expectancy. Fortunately had a garage to house the tandem ever since, and am very, very grateful for it.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Robdob would love a tandem but getting one our size is almost impossible. I am 5’7″ with 29″ inside leg, so I can usually ride a 16″ frame but she is 4’11” and a 12.5″ GT MTB is nearly too big for her!!

Anyone seen a 16/12″ tandem? Didn’t think so!!!

http://www.pedalpower.de/produkte/tandems/touren_mtb_tandems/index.php?nr=21

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’d definately be up for a STW tandem trip round Swinley or Peaselake…..although my stoker/gf is relatively new to bikes (I arrived in her life 18 months ago 🙂 ) doesn’t off road yet and doesn’t have the stamina to cycle from South London. Hmmm, if the Dawes won’t fit in the mondeo I guess I could cycle it stokerless and meet her there maybe!

Oh and my, sorry I mean my neighbours, dawes is a few year old and is equipped with rigid forks, v-brakes (rather good LX ones though) and 36 spoke wheels. Would these be up to off roading? I could easily swap the front end to some ‘zocchi AM SLs, a Hope M4 mono and a EX721/Draco/36 spoke wheel from my full susser…..the stronger wheel and rear M4 would require the purchase of a very long brake hose though!

Last couple of times we’ve had the beast out we’ve found the chain is skipping on the cassette. Looks like a new cassette, chain and middle ring are needed. Should I change the timing chain and rings too or will these be okay for awhile longer?

cynic-al
    Free Member

How does a stainless chain last longer? Is stainless not softer than regular steel?

Hooter
    Free Member

neilnevill, that kind of set up would be fine for basic off roading and should be pretty robust, just steer away from anything hardcore, steep tracks with head sized rocks won’t be much fun. If you stick long forks on it, you might find the steering goes way weird. Those tandems should fit a 2.5″ tyre at the front OK, which is a good compromise solution.

For the timing chain, I wouldn’t bother replacing it unless it’s slipping. Just make sure it’s tensioned properly using the eccentric bottom bracket.

ononeorange

Neilnevill (and any others) drop me an email to jamesandrews23@yahoo.co.uk. I’ve got a few email addresses for a spring Swinley tandem trip (once we’ve got good enough to not totally embarass ourselves, that is!) from a previous STW thread.

Andrew – where are you based? Happy to let you have a try, I say that as initially it’s harder than it looks and I’d hate for you to lay out some serious cash and Mrs Andrew to not get on with it.

Cheers

singlespeedstu

I’ll drop you an email about this too.

basonjillett
    Free Member

Me too 🙂

Oh and when we bought our first dawes tandem i fitted it into out old mk3 astra hatchback !!!!!!

singlespeedstu

Jase we’re doing another Bothy ride next month.

Want to make it a tandem bothy ride?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Cheers Hooter, major mods would probably be going a bit far anyway as it isn’t actually MY bike. Fat tyres would be worth while though as it currently has some 1.5 slicks on it.

Good, sounds like I can try just replacing the drive chain etc then, the timing chain and rings look okay visually and I’ve checked/retensioned via the EBB already and we haven’t had any dropped or skipping TT chain moments.

Cool, shoud fit the car then, I’ll send you an email James 🙂

basonjillett
    Free Member

Mail me some ideas mate will ask QoS 😀

london_lady
    Free Member

ononeorange – just sent you an email about a swinley tandem ride – me and aP may be up for that.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Hiya tandem people!

To add some more to the pot, we’re on our second tandem – our first being a much loved (and quite bouncy at high speed!) Dawes Double Edge. A great and cheap ish option especially if you can find one second hand.

Now we’ve upgraded to a Landescape, bought from MSG cycles in Lancing (South Coast, do a google). We wanted the flexibility of being to do road stuff and off road and it seems to work really. I think its about 40lbs in naked form. Lots more when its fully laden for touring around Denmark last year 🙂

More than capable of some mild off-roading and it suits us well. We tried a full off-road tandem and decided it wasn’t for us so do try a few bikes and styles.

Big up to Alex at MTB tandems in the US of A. Their Fandango looks like a great machine and he’s a true advocate of customer service (as well being excellently enthusiastic).

STW tandem ride? yes please!

TM

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Also just sent you an email too ononeorange about the ride at Swinley.

aP
    Free Member

Waves at bugpowderdust!

ononeorange

Cheers guys, received and replied to the various emails – thanks!

Twiglet – if you fancy joining in at Swinley, drop me a line (jamesandrews23@yahoo.co.uk). At this rate, there’ll be more tandems than solo bikes.

Cheers

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Just how heavy are MTB tandems?’ is closed to new replies.