Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Just been Scammed ArrgggghhhH
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Had a what I thought was part of Microsoft Security software appear on my sons commputer and it said I need to get a key to authorize it, was in a bit of a panic because it kept telling be it had identfied malicous trojans etc, so stupidly I gave my card details to register, and now I have something called SEcurity Tools on my sons laptop I can't get rid off, I have informed my bank who will keep an eye on my account and they will send out a new card, now some scammer has my address phone number and (cancelled)card details. Furious with myself as I am normally very suspicous about such things. My son removed the One Care as it is now superceeded by another microsoft antivirus program, although Onecare still runs on my pc and I did not get any notifications saying one care had ended or been replaced.

psychle
    Free Member

whoops… It's an oldie but a goodie unfortunately for you 🙁

Wally

First rule of antivirus software – keep wallet in pocket.
    Second rule of antivirus software – keep wallet in pocket.

You will not be alone, sadly.

munchiepumps
    Free Member

Try using PC Doctor antivirus, had a similar thing happen to my PC and it totally shut it down. PC Doctor is the only thing that would remove it, Mcphee said pc clean but PC doctor found in excess of 30 viruses, worms and trojans!!

Can't recommend it enough.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Do I download PC Doctor then run it in safe mode or normally!

Also Note to self keep wallet in pocket! 🙄

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Some of these trojans need fairly specific remedies – One of the less computer savvy engineers at work unwittingly installed one a while ago, fortunately we have IT support, so they sent me a link with full instructions on how to go and remove it from his machine. This is the site I was sent to:

Bleeping Computer

Worth a look

warpcow
    Free Member

Go to bleepingcomputer.com and search for the name of the program/virus. They will more than likely have a full removal guide. A lot of these sorts of programs/viruses have specific functions that attempt to stop you removing them completely. It may require running several different (usually free) anti-spyware/malware/virus programs to remove it fully.

psychle
    Free Member

Paranoia should've set in by now, will you click on that link or not? 😯 😆

warpcow
    Free Member

I need to type faster 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Paranoia should've set in by now, will you click on that link or not?

F^ck me your not wrong there sheeesh 😆 🙄

llamafarmer
    Free Member

😆 Beat you to it warpcow!

We had a similar one at work – you could seemingly get rid of it, but it would reset at startup and carry on doing its thing in the background.

tails
    Free Member

should have bought a mac

verticalclimber
    Free Member

or buy a mac (bit more expensive but a full and final cure for the problem)

llamafarmer
    Free Member

F^ck me your not wrong there sheeesh

You can always google something if you're unsure about it. It's not foolproof though!

devs
    Free Member

I've done quite a lot of these. The idiots guide is to download Superantispyware. Install and run in safe mode. If it won't let you install use the alternative start. After that download and install and run Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Uninstall any Microsoft Security product you may think you have. Put on a decent AV. Norton and MacAfee are not included in this. Even the free products from AVG or Avast will do but can cause their own problems in some cases.
    If this doesn't get rid you're best to either call a pro or format and start again

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Avira Antivir is a good freebie ime

singletrackmind

Then run Firefox as it is targetted less by malware ( apparently, but don't quote me as Im a luddite)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Cheers guys will having a go myself otherwise my IT mate is coming around tomorrow, who should sort it.

druidh
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials dealt with that on my wifes laptop earlier today. She was using Firefox at the time.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

My son has Microsoft Security Essentials and its just finished scanning but didnt pick anything up, he on Windows Vista though, now running Malwarebytes in safe mode.

petefromearth

my missus had a similar thing on her PC. she had some spyware called Anti Virus Pro 2010 which sits in the system tray and tried to download and install other software

with a bit of searching online i found instructions on nerdy websites such as geekpolice.net. they get so many posts from people, and someone is likely to have exactly the same problem as you

after several attempts the program which finally removed it was "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware"

jond
    Free Member

>Firefox as it is targetted less by malware

Got caught by one – despite using Firefox (yes, it is a little better) last wednesday (annoyingly as I was trying to pitch in for the free Rage Against The Machine tickets). In another tab I'd been looking at coverage on a company product -some fansite of other – and picked up some spyware. A few giveaways – pinged up a warning that looked vaguely kosher but didn't ring true particularly compared to other occasions when MCafee's found something – plus there was now a little shield on the toolbar with a related dialog box that I didn't recognise. Tried to kick off McAfee but that was reported corrupted – yet a search for changed files for that day didn't show it as such – very suspicious. Didn't dare touch anything apart from pulling the network cable, rebooting and getting our IT bod. Spybot in safe mode (IIRC) found it, simply deleting the relevant (new) subdirectory worked, following scan was clean.
    I suspect the worst thing you can do…well, other than handing over credit card details 😉 – is to start clicking popup dialogs, you can't trust what's real and what the virus is generating

flippinheckler
    Free Member

My son (bless him) 👿 clicked on something and he unwittingly downloaded it. He has had a severe warning about what he clicks on in future, but I surpassed him by giving my card details, so I blamed his mother! 😕

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get Ubuntu, no need for any Microshaft.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yeh! Malicous program removed! Phew!

Pieface

I've never had a problem with Virii or malware for years on work laptops. Granted pretty much everyhting is locked down and they aren't the fastest. Also alot of websites are restricted – not sure if this is to stop you wasting time on the internet or if they're a hotspot for picking these up e.g. – Hotmail / Google mail, facebook (time wasting…), Flickr.

foxyrider
    Free Member

install mcafee site advisor (free) then you'll be less likely to go to a dodgy site via a search endgine – thats what I do 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Run this on the laptop, it will sort it out. I had very much the same on my duaghters computer as she had not kept the Avast up to date. (I reccomend Avast as a free antivirus). I was lucky that my pal had recently had similar so I had a good idea what was wrong.

http://www.scanwith.com/download/Trojan_Remover.htm

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Just been Scammed ArrgggghhhH’ is closed to new replies.