Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Jones Loop Bars – Change of stem needed?
  • letmetalktomark

Looking at a pair of 710 Loop bars for my Fortitude.

I’m currently running a zero degree 90mm stem and 762mm flat bars with a slight sweep.

Clearly the sweep on the Jones bars is considerable so do users find they need to use a longer stem?

If so how much longer?

ton

110mm adjustable on mine. tried a 90mm, it was a bit too short.

letmetalktomark

Ton – were you using the 90mm before or were you just experimenting?

Keen to find out if I should budget for a longer stem

ton

started with a 90mm, which is what I used with risers.

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes, you do need a marginally longer stem but the bars seem to work better with your hands closer to you than with traditional bars. As such you don’t need to compensate for the sweep with stem length if that makes sense? Not sure I could quantify it in mm though, I would try your existing first and go from there.

I have a 100mm 10 degree Thomson you could try if you cover postage.

BillOddie

I went from a 40mmx0deg stem and Race Face Atlas risers to 60mmx7Deg and Jones Bend 710 Bars, then to a 70mmx0deg stem with an extra 5mm spacer underneath.

Happiest with the 70mm.

You can run a long stem on Jones bars without worry.

CheesybeanZ

I’ve got a 90 on mine which puts my thumbs in the same place as my other bars .

gary

Just to put the cat among the pigeons – the loop bar sweeps forward from the stem so personally I would expect to need a shorter stem to maintain a similar default grip position (bearing in mind there is a lot more variation in grip available with the Jones bar).

For the old H-bar Jeff recommended starting with the same length, so you would kind of expect a shorter stem for a loop bar. The image in the link should be helpful in visualising it

http://blog.jonesbikes.com/h-bars-and-stem-length/

zinaru
    Free Member

the best advice with loops is to tinker. you might be fine with your current stem.

I’ve got the slightly narrower older ti loops and 0deg 110mm thomson. i love the widest part of the bar which pretty much level with my head tube (which equals to a 0mm reach stem??)

the sweep totally changes everything though – its remarkable how different/natural it feels from straight bars. i adjusted stuff for months before finding the sweet spot. remember to try the bars upside down as well – that was my eureka moment.

scotroutes

Having overlaid the Loops on my normal (6deg sweep) bars, there is no difference in hand position other than the sweep angle.

ton

bottom stem is a 110mm. top is a 60mm. if I used shorter stem bars would be way too far back. bar ends are level with steerer, so like a 0mm stem.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qXJBzm]cidImage_FOT87C9.JPG[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

tootallpaul

Gotama- How much would you like for the stem?

I’m just about to install my Jones bars and would like to try out a longer stem.

Paul

gary

Just to put the cat among the pigeons – the loop bar sweeps forward from the stem so personally I would expect to need a shorter stem to maintain a similar default grip position (bearing in mind there is a lot more variation in grip available with the Jones bar).

Though I’m a bit of a muppet, as the centre section of the loop bar also leaves a longer grip section. I think the “tinker” suggestion is best.

My bike with H-bars has never had anything else on to compare with so no direct experience to offer!

Gotama
    Free Member

tootallpaul – £33 posted? I’m pretty sure it’s immaculate but I will double check tonight and can email you some pics if you want.

fin25
    Free Member

Got mine on my stock 80mm stem on my longitude and they feel fine, although the longitude is bloody long…

vorlich
    Free Member

IME yes, a longer stem is needed, just stick with what you’ve got first off though and take it from there.

Bruce

I had loop bars on my Surly Ogre and a 9omm stem. I never got on with the loop bars at all as my hands were further back and the loop bars have a bit of rise.

I change the loop bars for some Salsa flat bars with a about 12 degrees of sweep. for a lower further forward riding position.

I used a 90mm stem but to get my hands forward on the loop bars I think I would try 110mm.

jameso

Depends how you use the loops most. I have 660 loops and older h bars both with 90mm stems, gives me a similar hand to a flat bar and 70 to 80mm stem with room to move either way as needed. There’s a lot of fore-aft range on the 710 loops so worth experimenting.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Jones Loop Bars – Change of stem needed?’ is closed to new replies.