Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Jogger dies after collision with bike :(
  • iainc

here

sad story 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wot no press-cyclist-bashing?

Seriously, odd there’s no mention of the incident.

iainc

yeah, the original story yesterday talked of a serious head injury and they were trying to trace cyclist, who hadn’t left details. Tragic.

badnewz
    Free Member

That’s bloody terrible, I’m pro-cycling but have no time for the pavement cyclists. Walk it or road it.

iainc

knocked down in a freak accident on Saturday morning while out running

He initially seemed to be relatively unhurt and was taken to St John’s Hospital and then the Western General

– from the Edinburgh Evening News site

kcal

Not good. Evening News also carries the story, with additional detail.
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/tributes-as-jogger-dies-after-cyclist-crash-1-3783351

“He initially seemed to be relatively unhurt and was taken to St John’s Hospital and then the Western General where he died.

Sergeant Gary Taylor of West Lothian police said: “This was a tragic accident and our thoughts go to Peter’s family at this very sad time.”

It is understood that the cyclist has now been traced, and police had earlier said that there had been “no suggestion of any criminality.””

legend
    Free Member

badnewz – Member

That’s bloody terrible, I’m pro-cycling but have no time for the pavement cyclists. Walk it or road it.

Being Livingstone there’s a good chance it was a shared path (half n half)?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sad news, RIP fella.

Linked article says both of the following

1) he was on footpath
    2) he was on footpath at junction with a road

wwaswas

No criminality – so is it a shared use path rather than the ‘footpath’ reported in the OP’s article and from what the name implies?

Awful for everyone involved 🙁

nickjb
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be criminal even if it was a footpath without shared use would it? It would if it was a pavement, which it wasn’t. Very different laws for pavements and footpaths AIUI

legend
    Free Member

A quick look on Google Maps and it definitely just looks like a normal path, certainly isn’t a pavement.

cynic-al
    Free Member

badnewz – Member

Very apt handle there.

Also, don’t make an ass of u and me.

imnotverygood

I understand that it is a shared use path. It just goes to show how much a change of terminology can lead to a certain assumptions being made. This is why you should never trust the press. RIP the runner in any case. Very sad.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I saw this on my FB feed. Apparently there was a collision on a shared use path, both parties ok, so no details exchanged. Guy has undetected bleeding on brain and subsequently dies.
    There were some nasty anti-cyclist comments on there despite a friend of the deceased saying the family were not looking for retribution or blame for the incident.
    Very sad and a genuine accident.

MoreCashThanDash

Incident reported a few days of a toddler being hit by a bike and dragged along the pavement iirc. And that inquest from the collision in the country lane that was a big thread a couple of weeks back.

Sudden increase in number of incidents or just being reported?

bails

An increase of 3? The numbers are so small that any day when it happens is ‘an increase’ over the trend, the two deaths are very sad but they’re freak occurrences. This latest one does show the problem of councils cheaping out and turning existing paths into ‘shared use’ rather than building proper, separate infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians.

poah
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member

Incident reported a few days of a toddler being hit by a bike and dragged along the pavement iirc. And that inquest from the collision in the country lane that was a big thread a couple of weeks back.

Sudden increase in number of incidents or just being reported?

wider bar fashion is to blame

duntstick
    Free Member

Hate seeing stuff like this, terrible accident. Good people

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Jogger dies after collision with bike :(’ is closed to new replies.