• This topic has 92 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • job interview, fashion conundrum.
  • iDave
    Free Member

white short sleeved shirt, blue tooth earphone, tie, oakleys, white socks and slip-ons – someone who reads this will be dressed in such a manner….

juan
    Free Member

short sleeve shirt and tie – just don't please.

long sleeves with tie
    short sleeve open necked.
    Well that I know… Unless you're homer simpson 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Juan – really – you think you will get good advice from here?

Brown shoes are for the country and never to be worn with black trousers.

Short sleeved shirts with collars are never to be worn. Ever. Just wrong.

Tuck your shirt in always.

If you think clarkson might like the outfit it is wrong.

Chinos / polo shirt?

Linen suit?

Myself I would always wear a dark suit / white shirt / plain tie to an interview

TooTall
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Every man should own at least one beautifully fitting suit – obviously shirt, tie and shoes must be tastefully co-ordinated and spotlessly clean.

You must be sooooooooo disappointed by 95% of the male population then – and about 99% of the posters on this forum!

Drac

Well whenever I've done an interviews I've not been bothered if the wore a suit or not. If they were smart and well presented yes but not just those in a suit. A shirt and tie yes maybe a minimum.

juan
    Free Member

Well suit is a definite no no. Nothing actually fits me :(. Plus I really feel ridiculous in it and I am self-concious enough.

It will be short sleeved white shirt no tie. First because I have bought one on purpose for the interview. Second because it's averaging 30 C around here.

The brown trouser is a bit more modern than the black one. But to were the black one I will have to buy shoes, and I can't really afford it at the moment.

As I said looking to the jury for dress code is a very bad idea. Academics have an horrible sense of fashion…

CG, well I am just not manly then 🙁

lunge

I inteview a heck of a lot of people and don't understand why you wouldn't wear a suit to an interview. In fact, I would rather see a suit and no tie than a tie but no suit.

And if you must wear what you've got, go for the brown trousers and shoes with a short sleeved shirt. Leave the tie at home but make sure the shoes are polished and the shirt and trousers are ironed.

ebygomm
    Free Member

To those who say a suit is essential do you apply this rule to women too?

I don't really understand the UK obsession with suits, a lot of other countries manage to go to work without them to no detrimental effect.

mrh86

Short sleeved shirts should't even be made in my opinion. I work in a hospital, and there is a "bare below the elbow policy". You would think this wold encourage the wear of them, but no. They are truely shocking, long sleeve shirts all the way (rolled up in this case).

Wear a suit and tie. If you havent got one, and dont want to buy one, then trousers, shirt and tie.

samuri
    Free Member

I'd rather interview someone who looked acceptably smart but cool in a short sleeved shirt than someone who looked really smart in a nice suit and tie but was sweating buckets. And as Juan says, it's rather warm there.

I for one can't wear a tie for very long, I start getting hot and sticky, feels like someone is trying to strangle me, I'm quite happy that the accepted norm now for professional working men appears to be a suit with an open necked shirt, I can live with that. Short sleeves at the moment.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I've never had a job that required wearing a suit, but I always wear one for interviews. I agree with what Northwind said up to a point, but I think it's about showing you're taking it seriously and making an effort. And a suit is always worth owning.

Drac

Blimey a lot of 80's office workers post on here.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Well I was an office worker in the late 80s. Still am, I just happen to be in IT

I don't wear a suit to work these days unless meeting customers/suppliers/bigwigs from head office
    But I always wear a suit to interviews – although the last one was almost 10 years ago. Must have helped, I got the job

Blue jeans don't suit me – short chunky legs – but black jeans are fine, just not at work

lunge

I don't think it is being an "80's office worker" or even being slightly stuck up, though i do accept that what people wear in the South of France may be slightly different to the UK.

It is an interview so you dress up for it, rightly or wrongly for men that means a suit. I rarely where a suit for work but I would always wear one for interview, it shows you're making an effort, it shows you care about your appearance and it shows you respect the people interviewing you. You may not agree that this should be the case but unfortunately it is in most industries in the UK.

Think of it like this, I have never known anyone not get a job by wearing a suit, but i have known people not get a job by not wearing a suit.

But again, please don't wear brown shoes and black trousers, and please don't wear a shirt with a short sleeved shirt.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with short sleeves and a tie in IT.

DezB
    Free Member

So who got the job? Juan or Bryan Ferry?

juan
    Free Member

Well you'll have to wait next week dez 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don't think you can go wrong wearing a sober suit, white shirt, black shoes and a cheerful tie. If it turns out less formal, whip off the jacket and tie and roll up sleeves, the "let's get down to business" look.

hora
    Free Member

Brown shoes and black suit CAN really work- depends on the fabric and style.

I have a grey suit (semi-casual) with tan brogues and a crisp white shirt for preferred formal meetings etc.

If I went to work in a bank or sales I'd wear my black suit and black shoes. It'd be the wrong job for me though.

Drac

Think of it like this, I have never known anyone not get a job by wearing a suit, but i have known people not get a job by not wearing a suit.

What a hammering I'd get for that.

Please State reason/s why this person should not be appointed: They weren't wearing a suit. 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hora – Member

Brown shoes and black suit CAN really work- depends on the fabric and style.

Nope – never ever ever

I have a grey suit (semi-casual) with tan brogues and a crisp white shirt for preferred formal meetings etc.

Dreadful sounding outfit.

Brown shoes are for the country.

hora
    Free Member

All the buttons on the suit are tan. No idea on the brand, bought it from Flannels- Italian or summit.

juan
    Free Member

Tj I have seen you in the flesh and I have seen how you dress, hope you don't mind, but I won't take your advices as carved in stone 😉

bartat
    Free Member

Juan, you're french, and you're asking the english for fashion advice. You fail the interview on poor judgement regardless of what you wear.

va va voom. All you need.

cinnamon_girl

TooTall – Member

[/i]You must be sooooooooo disappointed by 95% of the male population then – and about 99% of the posters on this forum!

Nah, that 5% just know how to cut it and leave the others looking like bridesmaids. 😉

Actually I don't think I would recognise anyone from here in a suit. 😯

But, seriously, a suit says so much about a man. My son is learning but at 6'4" and slim, he would look good in a bin bag!

cinnamon_girl

Juan – of course you will look good in a suit. You're slim enough but for goodness sake just don't think about a pink shirt/tie combo. Go for blue to match your eyes. 😉

slimtubing
    Free Member

Went for my first proper Planning interview yesterday, looked out my only suit (Gunmetal grey, faint grey pin stripe) white shirt, grey/black diagonal stripe tie and black shoes.
    Was interviewed by 2 guys wearing open collared patterned shirts and black pants, no ties.
    I felt making the effort paid off as although they were less formally dressed, one made a comment that perhaps I was dressed more suitably to lead the interview!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

On the other side of the coin – I turned up for an interview for a job as a Rip Curl (surf brand) rep dressed in quite expensive smart casual (good shirt and trousers, smart brown shoes) – I got the job but got mercilessly ripped for my public school look for many months – they all wore jeans/boardshorts and T shirts!

cinnamon_girl

Maybe it's just weddings and funerals that people wear a suit too but, wait, the last funeral I went to a bloke was wearing an England football shirt. That was the height of bad taste. 😯

Just feel it's rather sad when people don't make an effort.

edhornby

grey suit and brown shoes works well – if you're brave you can do black suit, black shirt and brown shoes – yes it does work.

the secret is that it all has to be cut well and the shoes have to be new or as new, if they are tired or the suit is flabby looking then it won't work

br
    Free Member

Maybe its an age thing, but I wear a suit to work (might not wear a tie, depends) – and I've worked in IT for +25 years.

But at least when out with my various teams/staff at least the waiter knew who the boss was 😉

tbh – cheap badly fitted suits do look far worse than a smart shirt/trouser combo.

Ex-MIL use to say you can be underdressed, but never overdressed. She was right as while sometimes been overdressed can be 'testing', it will never be as embarrassing as been underdressed.

speaker2animals

Will anyone on here be actually conducting/present at your interview? No.

It's your risk fella. So you are prepared to go to the south of France for an interview but not "splash" out on a long sleeve shirt and a pair of black shoes to match your black trousers. I would never wear brown trousers/shoes to an interview whether I was wearing a suit or not. I hate the whole suit paradigm but in a lot of cases you will be buggered without one at an interview. However France is a whole different world. My business experience of Europe is that they are not really fans of the British suit syndrome. Even so and knowing that I would not go to a sales meeting/interview (which is the very same thing) even in Europe in less than a suit unless I had previously met with the people and felt I knew the lay of the land.

Do you want the job or be considered as an independent individual who isn't going to get this job?

speaker2animals

Don't forget to post when you are offered the job.

samuri
    Free Member

Juan, you're french, and you're asking the english for fashion advice. You fail the interview on poor judgement regardless of what you wear.

But as mentioned, he works in IT. Fashion, despite him being French, is not his bag. It's probably quite natural for a Frenchman to ask English people about clothes since his countrymen will no doubt suggest a Kaftan and knee length boots or something.

speaker2animals

and as a last thought. When has what you wear at a job interview ever had anything to do with "fashion"? Unless you are a catwalk model.

bartat
    Free Member

so which do you think looks better?

The French are hardly known for their sartorial grasp of casual wear – the evidence here suggests more formal and drop the tie.

DrJ

It's in France, so a short sleeved check shirt (thin tie optional), yellow socks and boat shoes will be de rigeur.

DrJ

To those who say a suit is essential do you apply this rule to women too?

Short skirts, stockings, high heels. End of story.

I don't really understand the UK obsession with suits, a lot of other countries manage to go to work without them to no detrimental effect.

Foreigners – what do they know?

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey Juan's got some competition, what with Bryan Ferry and Thierry Henry going for the same job

theotherjonv

Suit and open necked shirt >>> trousers shirt and tie imho. Although for an interview, I think a tie as well (but then i don't work in IT)

But what's the obsession with white shirts? Funerals and weddings only. Far better a pale (blue) shirt or a white shirt with a pattern of some sort.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘job interview, fashion conundrum.’ is closed to new replies.