Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Jerseys with waterproof back…anyone?
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

Does anyone make a jersey with only a waterproof back?

Waterproof jackets get too hot and sweaty on days when it’s not raining (which are few and far between here in Glasgow!) but the trails are still wet.

Would be ideal to keep me back dry along with my waterproof shorts.

batman11
    Free Member

Never heard of one but! But make it all with a light fleece on the front and my be some windsropper on the chest and arms to and it would be a perfect.
    Sounds like yo need to get on this and crowd fund it lol

Bez

Sounds like you want a rear mudguard.

AlasdairMc

Try a gilet instead, as your arms can regulate your temperature

antigee

think the general assumption is

front waterproof – riding into rain
    back ventilation – keep you comfy

^^^gillet and rear mudguard

but everyone to what they fancy

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Antigee said.

Mudguard to keep the wet ground off you, clothing to deal with what comes from above.

Most cycling waterproofs have great big vents on the back because that’s the bit that doesn’t get wet. Gillets often replace the whole back panel with mesh.

My favorite autum/winter/spring jersey is the Endura FS260 Jetsream, it’s windproof/water repellant on the front, normal mesh cycling jersey fabric under the arms, and fleece on the back.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not a ridiculous idea, but probably a bit niche.

Since most of the splash hits the lower back, maybe some kind of water-resistant enduro-cummerbund could work?

But seriously, I do sometimes wear a gilet for this very reason.

mark90
    Free Member

Could be a niche market for some waterproof dungaree shorts.

They would sell like hot cakes if marketed as #Enduro bibs 😉

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’d rather not use a mudguard, so hence the question.

Depending on the type you use, they scratch you’re paint, spin out of line, flap about like crazy on rough trails. Its not a fashion thing, I used a mudhugger for years but got fed up with all the flapping about and scratched paintwork from cable ties regardless of how much / type of heli tape protection you use. Much prefer the skid mark up the back now!

Like the gilet idea, thought about that before but never understood the point, I do now though.

Alternativly I’ve got some unused goretex fabric kicking about from a pair of army trousers I cut down into shorts. Might just sew that into the inside my existing jersey and see how that goes. Incidentally, best goretex shorts I’ve ever owned.

chakaping
    Free Member

Close…

mark90
    Free Member

Too hot for pedaling surely. Separate jacket for the layering win.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Boil in the bag.

jamiep
    Free Member
    dragon
    Free Member

front waterproof – riding into rain
    back ventilation – keep you comfy

IME this is slightly too simplistic as it is neck and shoulders that take the worst of the rain. I actually have a Gabba sitting in front of me now and it has water resistant material on the front, but also the back for about an inch down from the shoulders and then the drop tail.

So to keep tyre splash off you when mtbing then you probably want to sew the gortex in as a splash guard horizontally at the bottom of the jersey and also maybe a strip up the centre of the back. Think of an inverted T.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Buy a jersey with a waterproof front and put it on backwards.

Hope that helps.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Back to front waterproof jersey, that’s the best idea so far

tjagain

mudguards is the answer you seek

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Jerseys with waterproof back…anyone?’ is closed to new replies.