Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)
  • Jeans buying – not a simple process!
  • rascal
    Free Member

How much is acceptable* to spend on jeans?

Went shopping today with the intention of buying some new jeans.
    Came back with nothing as couldn’t decide what I wanted style-wise/how much I wanted to spend.
    I’m in my early-mid 40s so would look/feel a real cock in the skinnies the the youth are wearing these days.

Last time I bought Levi’s I think I paid @£45 about 4 years ago…now they’re £80 which seems pricey and a rapid price hike 😕
    I know some people will happily pay £120 plus without giving it a second thought, which I wouldn’t.
    I tried some £20 Next (amongst others) ones on but they just felt cheap – I’ve gone down this route before and never really liked wearing them.
    I’ve always liked Levi’s as they last so might have to accept that’s what decent jeans cost.

Has anyway tried Superdry? Picked some up – seem good heavy quality at £50.

What do YOU wear/spend?

*to you.

yunki
    Free Member

I like Carhartt but they are well out of my price range atm.. All my jeans come from charity shops although I seem to be in shorts all year round these days

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gap denims are 29 quid at the mo. Job done.

andyl
    Free Member

White Face and GAP for me. Just buy when the sale is on. Resent paying over £45 for jeans as I just trash them.

Simon

No more than £40. Last couple of pairs have come from TKMaxx, Levi 506 and 504.

rascal
    Free Member

Saw some Carhartt’s – 70 notes.

maccruiskeen

If you don’t have a go-to brand that you like the look/fit/feel of then TK Maxx can be good for browsing lots of different makes and models.

noteeth
    Free Member

Older 2nd hand Levis 758 on Ebay.

Job’s a good ‘un.

noteeth
    Free Member

Double post.

bearnecessities

Pfft, try getting a good routine of exercising regularly, cutting down on booze, eating well, blah blah blah.

You’ll end up a 30″ waist or less and no ******** store has any trousers in stock that fit, let alone a brand to pick from.

I know, worse problems, but it’s a bit frustrating! Oh, and TK Maxx for jeans 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

Bear…

I know what you’re saying.
    Exercise difficult as buggered Achilles at mo so no biking.
    Booze is out as going Sober for October – it’s Sat night = beer. Not for me though, though I do have a ginger beer in the fridge.
    Food – Wagamama’s today – Firecracker chicken – not sure if that’s good or bad but it was bloody amazing 😛

Long way off being a 30″ waste – that will NEVER happen again!

jambourgie
    Free Member

When you say 30″ waist, is that what the tag in your trousers says, or what the tape measure says? (taken about an inch below your belly button).

I had to get measured up for a suit recently and was shocked to find out I have a 37″ waist, not the 31″ waist I’d proudly declared to the tailor 🙂

bearnecessities

Sorry, don’t want to appear as if I was commenting on you, just grumbling out loud!

Only trousers I have to pick rom in TX maxx now are all stupid colours like yellow and green, and as far as suits are concerned from anywhere, forget it!

Tx Maxx really does have a great array of jean-wear though, no more that £30 for most options.

EDIT: Jambourgie, yes, that’s genuine size. I have an 11″ drop now, which whilst is great, is useless for buying anything off the shelf!

federalski
    Free Member

TX Maxx have tons of Levis 514’s in blue and black, they are labelled as skinny which put me off initially (they are deffo not a true hipster skinny fit) but I have bought 2 pairs in both colours now. They are kind of stretchy fabric and not a true pair of jeans but they are a brilliant pair of kegs, especially for £25.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Prana Axiom from GoOutdoors 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Uniqlo do some real nice quality jeans for very reasonable money.

ricky1
    Free Member

Every time is go shopping for jeans all I can find are those tight chino type crappy things,in fact all the clothes these days are a bit “one directiony”.
    Tried to find a pair of proper mans shorts to go on holiday with but no joy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you don’t have a go-to brand that you like the look/fit/feel of then TK Maxx can be good for browsing lots of different makes and models.

+1, theres always something that fits / looks acceptible

chipster

As above, TK Maxx. Got 2 pairs last year from there, one Firetrap, one Bench, £30 a pair.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Spend about £80-120 or cheaper in the sales. Never used to spend that much on jeans but have found that selvage denim lasts longer, looks better and the cut of the Edwin and Albam jeans I buy fit me properly, they also do a 29in waist (28’s too small most 30’s too baggy). prefer a higher rise which the skinny fits don’t do and are usually too low in the waist.
    Natural selection, Lee 101, universal works do decent selvage denim, most ordinary denim feels thin in comparison and just doesn’t wear as well IMHO.
    Had some good finds in TK-MaXx like a pair of Edwin rainbow selvage for £30

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for Carhatt but way too expensive for me now ,come up big too.TK Maxx can be hit or miss so you need to go regularly and be prepared to browse if you cba.Try asking one of the more knowledgable staff when they get their deliverys,can cut down on wasted visits.
    I got a pair of Etnies new from an online shop for under £20 and a Fox pair from Stif in one of their sales for about the same price too.Both really good quality and they have a range of different fits and denims.Maybe worth a look though a bit pricier now.
    STW goes Normcore 🙂

shreck
    Free Member

Howies jeans for me love them,didn’t quite manage the recommended 6 months without washing them.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I spend around £100 I prefer selvedge these days, I like Edwin but they have started to be too common but they are still my go to brand. I often keep them for 6 months then eBay them for not much less than I paid for them. If you find a good fit and brand that you like stick with them. Avoid extra pockets and over washed looks.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

True. I got fitted for a suit today. Guy measured my waist and said “hmm, you’re between sizes” – I replied “yeah, 33”. He laughed and said “36”

rOcKeTdOg

last pair i bought were £8.99, they’ve lasted 2 years so far

m360
    Free Member

M&S. Job done.

The fit is good (proper “Man”/traditional fit) and the quality is excellent. And less than £20.

Or the Gap when on sale.

chewkw
    Free Member

Never pay more than £40.

Buy a few pairs of the same ones when they are on sales. I bought mine from Debehams, TK Maxx, M&S whoever are selling them cheap etc. As long as they fit comfortably and not more than £40 (I think I never paid more than £35 for jeans) I am not bothered about the brand. I usually go for heavy weight jeans with good strong pockets but Jack & Jill seem to do heavy weight jeans I like.

😀

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Selling a pair of Edwin x Folk in the classifieds, have a pair of Albam straight leg to go too. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Carharrt or dickies

Only time i can get a 32 waist 34 leg easythey have tall skinnys in the states it would seem.

The work triple stitched range are far better than their fashion garbage.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

its easy,

clocks go back – Raw denims
    clocks go forward – washed denims

APC New Standard, LVC 1954

ignore 99% of everything posted above, some people have given up on life it seems

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Prison Blues – made on the Inside for life on the Outside now shipping to the UK. Free soap on an easy drop rope

LMT
    Free Member

Gap for me, ether bootcut or easy as they call them, only place that do decent jeans in a short fit. Always buy a couple of pairs in the sale do the job.

aa
    Free Member

Its a bugger, true enough.
    Ive bought two pairs in 6 years
    A pair of levis, considered buying two pairs, didn’t and kind of always regretted it. They were U.S. bought and they don’t sell the same cut in the UK.

The last pair were lee 101 from asos, £29 bargain. Am on the lookout for another pair at the same price (or a pair of ewin ed39’s)

tang
    Free Member

Uniqlo and Burberry for me. I don’t have to pay for Burberry though.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Gap for me.

Always a great fit and get them from the Gap outlet so half the cost from the regular Gap store

slowoldgit
    Free Member

*shows age*

Lands End mail order, go down to 30″ waist

rascal
    Free Member

Uniqlo look good and good price…might have a looksy there and at TK Maxx tomorrow 🙂

schrickvr6
    Free Member

APC New Standard

My favourite jeans.

rascal
    Free Member

APC New Standard
    My favourite jeans.

I guess at £120 a pop you’d have no problem buying Levi’s then 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

My favorite so far are those made by Duck & Cover (ahem … not Jack & Jill as previously mentioned. Damn those brand names …) which look similar to this one below with those patch/external pockets.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Jeans buying – not a simple process!’ is closed to new replies.