Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I've always been a bit tight about replacing my brake pads…
  • edd

…but even I accepted that these needed replacing. Fair to say that Sunday’s ride was a filthy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And your discs too, I imagine…?

🙂

edd

I still think I could have got more out of the bottom right pad. 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

Hehe! getting your moneys worth ❓ I wouldn’t run them that long you will need to replace the rotors more likely than not and the chances of the brakes failing or being damaged would be a lot higher than normal.

Good photo and thanks for the laugh!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

backing plates are soft aluminium and discs are hard stainless so I’d not worry too much 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Backing pads aren’t normally aluminium…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Table top needs sanding and rewaxing

sefton
    Free Member

thats the wifes chopping board! (guess she wasn’t home)? 😉

edd

That’s correct sefton it’s a chopping board – no prizes for guessing why I’m single. 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

arh…no worries they’ve probably only been in contact with all the cow & sheep crap in your area.

Onzadog
    Free Member

A made of mine onece asked why his bake brake had locked up. On invesitgaion, he had worn through the pad compound, through the backing plate. The piston had extended so far it sat at an angle and he’d managed to shave a new angled face onto that. Wish I’d got some pictures of that little mess.

It’s also how I found out that Avid call them pressure feet rather than pistons.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Backing pads aren’t normally aluminium…

oh you’re right, my Hope ones used to be steel so they stuck to the magnetic pistons, but I’m sure my Shimano ones are ali…

5lab

i’ve had half a piston worn down before – only thing left on the pad was the tab at the top. Got stranded way out in the alps. Brakes worked fine for the next couple of years, mind

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I've always been a bit tight about replacing my brake pads…’ is closed to new replies.