Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • It's NOT winter yet…..
  • votchy
    Free Member

Winter starts on Thursday 21st December here in the UK, stop with all the ‘It’s Winter, what’s …’ threads and get a grip. It’s a little colder which is to be expected in AUTUMN!!! What you all going to do when it actually gets cold?

oreetmon
    Free Member

It’s got cold ?

scotroutes

Yeah, it’s only been -3c here so far this winter autumn!

matt_outandabout

Meh.

whitestone
    Free Member

Who says it’s cold?

Meteorologically winter begins on the first of December.

theotherjonv

ermm….. isn’t 21.12 midwinter’s day?

Drac

Winter starts on Thursday 21st December here in the UK

Are you sure?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Yeah just -6 here so far ..I’m still venturing out in shorts & t-shirt ..whats wrong with folks 8)

GrahamS

If I’m scraping the car on the morning then that’s good enough for me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not arsed about being cold, It’s being out in the rain I can’t be arsed with. Not for the getting wet factor either but not being able to see when my glegs get rained on!

scotroutes

There are two, equally valid, conventions. One has winter starting on the solstice, the other (basically for accounting purposes) starting on 1st December.

ton

i was gonna post something like this earlier….lol

agree tho, still in shorts here in sunny Leeds. not worn a waterproof since a day in June in France.
    if you are gonna commute, just do it, it aint hard, even fat blokes can do it.

😆

thecaptain
    Free Member

Climatologically speaking winter starts on 1st Dec. But a cold spell in Nov (which we’ve just had with a solid frost) can certainly be as cold as average winter conditions.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s no hard and fast rule, not a date anyway. I know they can ‘track’ Spring though.

Personally I follow the meteorological seasons, Winter = Dec, Jan, Feb, Spring = Mar, April, May, Summer = June, July and Aug and of course Autumn is Sept, Oct and Nov.

The other method calls the 21st of Dec as the first day of winter but it seems a bit odd to be to call the darkest day of the year as the start of winter in the same way the lightest day of the year as the start of summer.

The seasons, especially in the UK though are effected by a lot more than just the position of the Earth relative to the Sun and they don’t always play ball with the calendar, as for now – we’ll a sudden drop of 5c from last week and a bitter wind has made it feel very winter like around here, but it’s still 10c at midday, it’ll get a lot worse before it gets better. Late Autumn, Early Winter – does it really matter?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Keep your opinions to yourself OP, down here in the south coast it’s bloody freezing 7c.

And raining.

And windy…..again 🙄

votchy
    Free Member

Are you sure?

Astronomically – yes 😀
    Meteorologically – no (That’s the 1st December 2017)

Either way, it is definitely NOT winter so there 😆

vongassit
    Free Member

4c on my ride tonight , felt actually cold to me.

igm

In the electricity industry winter starts at clock change (but we only really observe two seasons)

Edukator
    Free Member

The mountains are white, it’s Winter irrespective of date.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Winter starts on Thursday 21st December

Never thought of thinking of the solstices as winter, for me just going by the months has always made sense, ie dec, jan. feb is winter. etc etc etc.

nov is still autumn though. so agreed on that.

kinda like the solstice idea though as into december can often be fairly mild and into march and be brutal. converse can also be true mind. 😆

Haze

Grittier has just gone passed our house, it’s now time to retire the best bike for a while…

CraigW
    Free Member

By the Celtic/pagan calendar, winter starts at Samhain, ie 1st November.

molgrips
    Free Member

The weather today was entirely consistent with a winter’s day. So seems a bit pointless to bang on about arbitrary technical definitions. That was some cold nasty rain.

bigjim

Snow on the hills in Scotland and snow in the Alps all over my facebook feed, it’s winter.

iainc

Below freezing and cars iced up, wintery enough for early November

seosamh77
    Free Member

Thought the weather was fairly mild today tbh, I often wonder if loads of Scots where brought up in Barcelona or something. Not like changeable weather is a new thing! 😆

It’s been 9C all day, fair doo’s it’s about 3C now and dropping to 1C later, but this is hardly unusual for November, you’d think people would be used to it by now! First frost is always late Oct/early Nov. Means mushie season is done! 😆

jam-bo

Britain does not have a climate, it only has weather.

theotherjonv

meterological convention is mainly so records can be compared with past records that are also monthly.

If you looked at actual weather, then the seasons probably wouldn’t all be the same length, and it also depends on what you look for from a season…… for example typically June is a warmer month but is also generally wetter than September; so if you look for warm temperatures and genuinely hot days when the sun shines, you’ll have June in the summer; if you prefer dry days and sunshine then Sept would be more ‘summer’ than June.

MrOvershoot

At work winter is 1st November till 28th February, that is when we are in the TRIAD period as deemed by the national grid.

I work outside – at night – at the side of any given motorway – with the thinnest of gloves (electrician). It’s not even started to get cold yet

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Snow on the hills in Scotland

Not on Cairngorm when I posted this

fifeandy
    Free Member

If we are using the weather to determine the seasons, the last few years have been:
    Spring: Apr
    Summer: May
    Autumn: Jun-Oct
    Winter: Nov-Mar

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I mark the start of winter as the first day I crash on an icy road. I can announce that winter has begun in Greater Manchester 😐

perchypanther
    Free Member

scotroutes

There’s plenty of snow on the Scottish Mountains. Ben Wyvis was looking resplendent this morning and the Fannichs have some too. Mind you, I’ve had snow in the Fannaichs in June….

fasthaggis

Still plenty of students in shorts and flip flops so it must be late Summer/Autumn. 😉

prawny

Autumn is a week in september when the sky is blue and the leaves are orange. After that its winter until a week in March/april when the daffs come out and it pisses down, then it’s summer.

4 seasons my arse, there’s two with a fade in.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Winter starts on Thursday 21st December here in the UK, stop with all the ‘It’s Winter, what’s …’ threads and get a grip. It’s a little colder which is to be expected in AUTUMN!!! What you all going to do when it actually gets cold?

It was below zero this morning and ice on the roads. In winter it isn’t normally much colder than it is today. Would ‘winterry conditions’ suit you better?

bigjim

I’m not sure a webcam halfway down one of many hundred hills is enough to say there’s no snow on the hills in Scotland – you’ll have to trust me, there has been snow on many hills for a good number of days now 😉

mogrim

Anyway there is now, there’s definitely a dusting of white stuff there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘It's NOT winter yet…..’ is closed to new replies.