Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Its here !!!! (new Bfe content)
  • renton
    Free Member

Just picked up my new Bfe frame and will be building it up this afternoon.

Have to say just by first impressions it looks to be really good quality !!!

will post picks of the build later.

oh and the green is stunning :mrgreen:

Big thumbs up to Cy for putting up with all my emails !!

ElShalimo

photos please

druidh
    Free Member

It’s certainly a striking colour!!

renton
    Free Member

looks really nice in the flesh.

will post up photos later

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s a bit sudden, isn’t it? 😯

I like…!

Scamper
    Free Member

Your LBS window ledges need a clean.

Nice – looking forward to the build pics.

honourablegeorge

What are the tubing changes on the new BFe? It only mentions 853 and some other tubing now – has it been lightened?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The top tube grpahic looks a bit ropey, as do the tubing decals on the downtube. Put them on the seat tube!!

Nice colour though

RustyMac

honourablegeorge

Think the changes are a 30.9mm seat tube for dropper compatability and a 44mm headtube to allow for 1 1/8, tapered and 1.5 steerers.

colournoise

Already had a 30.9 seat tube.

Newness is (IIRC) the 44mm headtube, a replaceable rear mech hanger, different dropouts, new graphics and THAT green.

slainte ❓ rob

honourablegeorge

Rusty Mac – Member
    honourablegeorge

Think the changes are a 30.9mm seat tube for dropper compatability and a 44mm headtube to allow for 1 1/8, tapered and 1.5 steerers.

I knew about that lot, I just meant the materials it’s made form – used to be 620 and other Reynolds tubees in it, I thought?

RustyMac

My bad sorry

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Looks very nice indeed, I’m envious.

honourablegeorge

Here it is

Old BFe

Reynolds 853 down tube forms the backbone of the chassis, its incredible strength allowing us to keep the weight down, whilst 853’s air-hardening little brother Reynolds 631 steps in for top tube, seat tube and head tube duties

New BFe

Reynolds 853 DZB (Dual Zone Butt) down tube forms the backbone of the chassis, its incredible strength and butting technology allowing us to keep the weight down. The top tube, seat tube and head tube duties use our new high strength Fm heat treated cromoly for outstanding durability. This is a Cotic designed tubeset with all our signature features.

One less Reynolds badge for the new one, then. I can still remember the excitement (it’s probably 25 years ago now) of getting my first Reynolds steel bike (A Raleigh Eclipse). Less of the frame being made of Reynolds steel feels like a downgrade to me – probably in name only, though.

renton
    Free Member

Seat tube is 31.6

ojom
    Free Member

Your LBS window ledges need a clean.

I’ll tell Brian The Windae Cleaner that his cleaning of them yesterday is not to your high standards…

He has big fists and had tattoos n stuff.

RustyMac

Seat tube is 31.6

The haed tube is 44mm isn’t it ?

Please tell me i got at least 1 thing right 😳

*Wanders off to the corner to have stern words with himself.

renton
    Free Member

Well that’s fudged it!

Bottom bracket has just threaded !
    Looks like the frame has beenfaced but one side of my bb has just threaded !
    No riding for me today then ………

renton
    Free Member

LBS want 25 quid for a bb and 20 to fit.

Does that sound reasonable ?

prezet
    Free Member

Did you cock up putting the BB in? And they want 20 quid to fix it?

prezet
    Free Member

LOVE that green, but that sticker on the TT would have to go…

renton
    Free Member

Prezet I thought the bb had been chased and faced as it looked like it had but went to fit the non drive side cup it didn’t go in straight and as I removed it it has stripped the threads on the bb not the frame.

Frame threads have a bit of paint in them though.

Nevermind eh !

prezet
    Free Member

As long as it didn’t damage the frame threads! I’d get the LBS to prepare the shell properly, although I thought Cotic did each frame before they got sent out.

I’d also expect the LBS to prepare it free of charge – I’m sure 18Bikes do.

renton
    Free Member

nope local shop wants 25 quid for the bb and then 20 to fit !!

jambalaya
    Free Member

£25 for a BB seems a bit cheap, treat yourself to a better one ?

EDIT: the new colour is stunning, I do prefer the original BFe logo though

tracknicko
    Free Member

didn’t go in straight? how can it not? surely it either goes in, or not.

baffling.

cy

Sorry you’ve had trouble with your BB. It was faced and chased before it left the building, but with it being steel (which is way harder than aluminium BB cup threads) if you get it slightly wrong at the start the frame with cut you some new threads. Just go steady next time, eh?

New tubing is heat-treated cromo same material as Reynolds 725, but unlike with 631 nad 853, this isn’t a proprietary material to Reynolds so would have been effectively paying for the sticker, plus I got to spec the walls in butts Reynolds don’t offer. It’s stronger than 631 so I was able to use slightly thinner sections making the new frame lighter than the old one. Definitely a step forward IMO.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers Cy.

Just want to point out it was definatley my fault being hamfisted to get the bike built up to ride !

honourablegeorge

cy – Member

New tubing is heat-treated cromo same material as Reynolds 725, but unlike with 631 nad 853, this isn’t a proprietary material to Reynolds so would have been effectively paying for the sticker, plus I got to spec the walls in butts Reynolds don’t offer. It’s stronger than 631 so I was able to use slightly thinner sections making the new frame lighter than the old one. Definitely a step forward IMO.

Don’t doubt for a minute that it’s as good or better, it’s just the 12 year old in me that likes his little sticker, ignore him.

I’m just thankful there isn’t a Soul or a Simple in the green, or I;d be forced to sell my perfectly good frame and change over.

Superficial
    Free Member

That is an amazing colour. I almost want to buy one just for that reason.

Klunk
    Free Member

how do you **** up putting in a bb ? as they should go in 99% of the way in with just using your fingers !

STATO
    Free Member

Its fairly easy to screw up with a nicely faced and chased frame, especially steel frames. The newly cut threads are super sharp and will cut into alu threads immediatley if you try to thread in without checking carefully. If you were not expecting it a few turns with the spanner and your bb is toast. I always hold the bb against the frame and rotate it backwards until you feel the start of the thread.

Duggan

Love that colour 8)

mrsi
    Free Member

+1 on the colour love, even better than the blue. My current BFe is one of my all time favorite bikes I’ve owned, probably not the fastest over any given trail but it does produce a massive grin every time.

crocodilian
    Free Member

That’s a shame about the bb, I was looking forward to seeing some built up pics!
    Hope you get out on it soon. I love my BFe, other bikes have come and gone but my orange (limited run, gloat) BFe remains!

Love that colour!

JEngledow
    Free Member

All I need is the chain and gear cable (on order from crc!) and my (black) BFe will be ready to ride, the anticipation is driving me nuts!

renton
    Free Member

It’s built apart from the chainset and chain !.

Once done it needs a bot of setting up for contact points and then I’m on my way !.

Will put some pics up shortly …..

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Its here !!!! (new Bfe content)’ is closed to new replies.