Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Italy honeymoon recomendations
  • feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

As per title. We’re thinking about going to Italy for honeymoon in Sept.Have a rough plan in mind going to travel around have looked around at the usual travel sites.Just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions or things they’ve done seen there that are worth a look or places that you’ve stayed that were good.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think there is another thread, try this in Google

site:singletrackworld.com honeymoon italy

SaxonRider

In the meantime, I would suggest Sorrento with a day trip to Capri. BEAUTIFUL.

spacemonkey

+1 Amalfi Coast. Beautiful on all counts.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sorrento +1 – don’t miss Pompeii & Vesuvius

RoterStern
    Free Member

Venice is the obvious choice if you haven’t been before. I love Tuscanny, Florence is stunning plus Pisa is just down the road and you have nice sandy beaches 40km further. The Ligurian coast is also well worth a visit with Cinque Terra if you and future wife like hiking. Or if you are both into sports Garda Lake is pretty special. There have been quite a few threads on the area.

oliverracing

As you’re going to be in Italy in September you have to do the Monza GP, it is the first weekend in September though.

We did a great trip including the F1 last September, went to Bergamo after it which is a pretty impressive walled city, great food up in the walled section but worth noting a lot of the trains stop at 9pm and taxis seemed VERY scarce… We were staying on the outskirts of the city so was a long walk at 11pm

Aosta valley is also pretty nice and Pila bike park is open till the middle of the month, although taking an XC bike down the top to bottom red/black downhill track was a painful mistake in hindsight, not helped by the fact it was all 2 inch deep dust.

For semi-remote alpine lovelyness Cogne is also worth a visit, some great walking an MTB above the village and there is a particularly good pizzeria on the main square.

devash
    Free Member

Been to Rome, Florence, Pisa, Lucca, la Cinque Terre, Bolognia, Naples, Sardinia, Verona, Trento. All stunning and very romantic. Italy is a fantastic country, was only let down by Milan (grey and ugly concrete city).

Harry_the_Spider

We did 4 days in Rome and 10 days in Sorrento for ours.

I would recommend it.

theotherjonv

Venice in Sept can be hit or miss; I was there and it was so humid and smelly no fun to be in the city at all.

Lucca, I love. Also some of the Tuscan Hill towns, San Gimignano, Siena, Volterra, etc.

If you do go to Venice rather than stay in the city itself, there’s a canal / waterway that runs west from Venice through a place called Mira. Mira’s an industrial town (big detergent plant there, which is how I know) but all along this waterway are old merchant’s houses from the days when if you were posh you didn’t actually live right in Venice all year, and many of these are now restaurants and privately owned hotels, which can be stunning and well priced.

Vader
    Free Member

Me, Ms Vader and our dog walked through Italy on the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome. By far the best part is just being immersed in Italian life, and you find that in any small provincial town that you care to pass though. You don’t need to visit the tourist honeypots to find fantastic cafes selling incredible coffees, rolling out fresh pizza for breakfast and custard filled donuts called bombolono. In fact I would go out of my way to avoid places like Sienna and Firenza although I accept it is difficult to ignore such places on a fist visit. One ‘touristy’ town that we did enjoy more than most was Lucca, which I am sure has been mentioned on here before.

Italy is a strange and crazy place best experienced away from the tourists in my opinion.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sorrento is nice, but I preferred Ravello. A bit more picturesque and dramatic, but you can’t go far wrong anywhere along that coast. There is a high speed train that links Florence – Rome – Naples so it is easy to get between those places in half the time it takes to drive. Not seen a huge amount of Italy but I really liked Florence, Rome was nice but a typical big, bustling city with the usual big city grimy feel about it and seemed to be alot of tramps pooing in the streets, or maybe I was just wandering around the wrong end of town.

jsync

Ravello and Positano are nice. Minori and Amalfi good for a walk down from Ravello. Sorento was ok, bit touristy although our hotel was amazing and so was the Michelin star restaurant (will find details if you wish). Verona is a nice little town as is Malcesine. We thought Venice a bit odd.

Amalfi all the way for me, simply spectacular.

mobes
    Free Member

Honeymooned in on the the Amalfi coast and stayed here – http://www.casangelina.com/

This place is AMAZING!

spectraken
    Free Member

Positano was lovely. We stayed in Villa Gabrisa run by an Italian Kiwi family. But anywhere along the Amalfi coast would be amazing.

jsync

To be clear, when I said Amalfi it was the coast, not necessarily the place.

makkag
    Free Member

THe lakes ? Como especially

Basil

We went Sorrento. Lots to do and near by. Easy holiday destination. Lots of boat trips to Capri etc. Wish I could live in Positano.
    You must see the italians live life

beej

I’ll add Cortona to the mix.

+1s for Lucca, Florence, bits of Almalfi.

Sorrento is Italian Blackpool, but in a good way.

Como is lovely (town and lake), Bellagio too – though it’s touristy, it’s posh Italian touristy.

We did a couple of weeks in Sicily last year, staying on Stromboli and hiking to see the volcano at night was a real highlight.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Done como and garda. Como prittier.garda more to do. Both amazing. Garda gets you to the dolomites, venice, marane?lo, verona easily within a couple of hours. Best holidays ever, well bar hawaii…

pondo

We honeymooned in Italy, fantastic break – few days by the lakes, Maggiore then Garda, one night in Venice, few days checking out the Rome thing then a week chilling on the Amalfi coast. We stayed in Praiano, halfway between Positano and Amalfi – bit dependant on buses to get about (not sure I’d want to drive!), but it had everything we needed at that point. Beach, food, wine, views, sun – peachy. 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

We did our whole wedding over there. Week in the Tuscan Hills with the family then married in Lucca and honeymoon on amalfi coast in position. Stunning.

eaststandlower
    Free Member

Ligurian coast – we had our honeymoon in Santa Margherita. Portofino nearby. Plenty of walks to be had, not that we did any, plenty of lounging by the pool, boat trips etc. We stayed in the Hotel Helios, great location and outdoor pool/terrace, rooms were abit tired, but clean – get one with the large terrace overlooking the harbour. Not been been back for a few years, but considering again for this year.

Lucca is also very nice.

Superficial
    Free Member

We did a walking holiday in Italy for our honeymoon – was great! Ambled slowly from Orvieto to the Maremma coast over several days. It was approx 8-12 miles a day so very relaxing pace, staying in tiny Italian towns (no one spoke English in lots of the stops) and the company organised baggage transfers. Great food, great wine and beautiful scenery. Highly recommended, although not for everyone I guess.

I didn’t get to take a selfie ‘propping up’ the leaning tower of Pisa, for example.

footflaps

Our honeymoon was split between Puglia and the Amalfi Coast. Puglia was OK for a few days, but ran out of things to see/do. Amalfi coast was great, loved Herculanium and Pompeii.

Think we stayed here in Puglia (they all look the same).

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Lucca is a great call. Cortona less to do but good

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Italy honeymoon recomendations’ is closed to new replies.