Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • IT Contractors – Whats a reasonable rate for this position
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Possibility of being offered this position as contractor initially and then becoming permanent. Any ideas of a reasonable rate to ask for?

It is a reasonably senior position but I haven’t a clue what the rates are these days. I am guessing the £1,000 a day fun around Y2K has gone now.

‘an all round technical role to lead a team of modellers and oversee some development of connectivity on a project initially but would expect to broaden role to permanent. Working with a Telco in Europe so probably travel every other week in the short to medium term.’

geoffj

Looks like a Senior(ish) Project Management role – £600 per day, depending on sector?

jimmy

I would have said around £500 in this climate

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cool – I will go in at £650 and see what they say. I assume they will cover any special kit I need and travel to and from Switzerland when required but everything else will be my responsibility.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Easy life!

gusamc
    Free Member

If you’r being paid by a forign bsed co watch out. There was a legal case in Belgium – sort of – as all you economic interests (ie ALL income) came from Begium – you will pay full Belgian tax. Check rules they seems to be different for 1 man cos’ working abroad.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Should be 50-50 UK and Switzerland initially

Joxster
    Free Member

Any other roles on the offer? I’m a SPM/PM/tea boy and could do with moving to some where French speaking 😀

lunge

WCA, make sure you get a full break down of what they will pay for and you have to pay for (tools, travel, accomodation, OT, etc.) as this can make a huge difference to the amount in your back pocket.

Assuming they pay for everything then I would say £400 – £500 is realisitic at the moment, expect more if you have more outgoings.

If you want some more info on this or the umbrella/own ltd/PAYE question then you’re welcome to drop me a call or e-mail.

tyke
    Free Member

Find out who’s going to be paying you – UK or Swiss as this could have VAT implications. If it’s more than 3 months then customer will expect a reduced daily rate so you are probably OK at £650 for short term but expect to be at £500 if it’s longer term.

With regards to travel – make sure that if it’s not agreed in advance (say 1 weeks notice) then you reserve the right to charge for travel time. What I found happened to me was that with very limited notice the only option was to travel during the day time meaning that I lost a billable day. Obviously you need to be careful not to appear too greedy if you want the arrangement to workout for both parties.

Good luck

Joxster
    Free Member

Decide what the market value is with the advert, then add 10%. You’ve got the interview so they have decided that you can do the job and will pay to get you. If you’re going through an agency they can be taking up to 60% of what the client is paying, if it is a government post the agency will only be getting 20%.

Get them to pay you weekly as waiting for a £10k invoice to be paid hurts, especially when you’ve got to pay your VAT bill as well. Become VAT registered and welcome to the world of expense claims 😉 keep every receipt you get.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is direct recruitment through a manager there I used to work with. his boss is recruiting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘IT Contractors – Whats a reasonable rate for this position’ is closed to new replies.