Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Issues with with my new (to me) Peugeot 406
  • SaxonRider

I have two issues with my 406 that may or may not be a big deal.

The car itself is a 2002 406 HDI 2.0L auto with 138K on the clock. It came with an almost-full service history, and appears to have been very well looked after over the years. Some of you might remember that I bought it about 3 weeks ago.

In any case…

1) The other night, after being stationary in the car for a while during which time it was idling, once moving, I began to hear ‘blowing’ noise that I would have assumed was the heater blower motor, except that it made no difference if I turned the fan on or off.

What I would describe it as is the sound of the fan on a VW when you shut the car off after a long drive and it keeps going for a few seconds to cool down.

The sound continued until I got to a red light, turned off the ignition, then restarted. Once I restarted, I drove home the rest of the way with no issues.

Finally, today, it happened again – only this time to Mrs SR.

2) I haven’t driven an auto for more than a decade, and so it could be that I am just not used to this, but the car seems to struggle to select a gear when I have been driving at motorway speed, then slowed down as the carriage way ends.

I don’t know how to explain it, except to say that it is sluggish to change gears, and then sometimes seems to be in too high a gear to really get going again if I need to accelerate.

I am wondering if it is anything to be concerned about, or if it is just the way this particular transmission feels.

Anyway, if you have an idea about either of these issues, your comments will be most welcome. The car needs to get me to Belgium and back next week.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Low oil level (or crappy oil) in the auto?

Time for a refill?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Did you buy a car that died two years ago by mistake?

SaxonRider

Don’t get it. ❓

ji
    Free Member

I had a few of these over the years. Great cars (second hand) but you have to accept that they all have various issues, and bits that don’t work properly! Never had either of the symptoms you mention, so probably worth getting a mechanic to have a look over it. Otherwise run it until it dies (I had one where the engine went bang with lots of black smoke….) and enjoy.

Drac

😆

SaxonRider

NOW I get it. 😳

toofarwest

Transistors in the blower control unit?

hammyuk
    Free Member

The noise you hear on VW/Audi’s is the fans running to inform you that it need a DPF regen – its in the handbook.
    Check its not something similar.

Suggsey
    Free Member

To disperse the extra heat generated I would imagine as per hammys comment. Reference the auto box, you should find that a gearbox oil and filter change may make all the difference, check back through your service history to see mileage intervals when it’s been done…..if at all.

hammyuk
    Free Member

NAh – with the VW/Audi its an “audible signal” that it needs to be driven in a way to activate the regeneration process!!
    Italian tune up usually sorts it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m glad my work didn’t go unappreciated!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had a 406 2.0 petrol auto. My gearbox had the same issue and when coming to junctions it started to get dangerous as it was in too higher a gear to pull off from a slow speed. I was told by various garages that the gearbox was sealed for life and couldn’t be serviced.
    It also had various electrical problems including the heater blowers that would increase speed on their own and a dash board that would reset itself whilst you were driving. This with the gearbox issue I decided to get rid of it and not had another Peugeot since as it wasn’t a patch on the 405 I’d had before it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sealed for life gearboxes are a myth.
    Chap over the other side of the office holds his head in his hands and sweats/swears every time anyone says “it’s sealed for life”.
    Think it used to be his job to deal with the fall out/warranty.

chickenman

Not a split in the turbo hose? Makes a fan like noise which changes in intensity as you accelerate? Have a feel round the hose between the air cleaner and the turbo whilst someone is pressing the pedal down a bit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Issues with with my new (to me) Peugeot 406’ is closed to new replies.