Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is this how local authority officers really speak?
  • neilthewheel

i have just been to a meeting of the local “health and active travel” group at the county council, which was about how to get kids to ride their bikes.
    Apparently, in order to achieve this we must:
    “Show the linkage between the information, materials, personnel and customer flow”, and…
    “See across the functional boundaries over which a product or customer value stream flows”.
    Suddenly I understand why we don’t have any proper cycle paths.

slowoldman

Did you say “eh”?

neilthewheel

I think the words I used were, “is that even English?”

edlong
    Free Member

In answer to your question, yes, they do.

Not the only profession that does it though. I often have a giggle at the way police talk on the telly – “we proceeded to the location” instead of “we went there” etc.

martinhutch

Went to see my traffic officer stepdad giving evidence in magistrates’ court when I was younger.

He had to then endure plenty of mickey taking for saying that he ‘proceeded in a north-westerly direction’ and that ‘the street lights afforded me good visibility…’ 🙂

And he lost the case.

hels
    Free Member

Bow to the majesty of John Key, the kiwi prime minister and champion of plain speaking:

‘If I was a New Zealander and the New Zealand prime minister got up and told me we had a foreign intelligence service that wasn’t gathering some foreign intelligence I’d ask him ‘what the hell are we paying the money for? And what the hell are you doing?'”

CountZero

😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

The reason is that they are automatons who are following guidance which is written in that format.

squirrelking
    Free Member

And I thought my work came out with some drivel…

pezza
    Free Member

Did they also mention “ring fencing the unicorn?” 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is this how local authority officers really speak?’ is closed to new replies.