Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is there something wrong with my new forks? knocking.
  • jonb
    Free Member

2009 Revelations.

When at anything other than full travel, especially if locked out going up hill they seem to knock. At first I thought it was my headset but it wasn’t and I tracked it down to the forks. I looks a bit like something is sticking in the first few mm of travel.

This might well be normal but I don’t know so wanted other peoples experience.

Have them set up 0-10psi (keep changing it) lower in the negative chamber rebound slowed down so they don’t top out at full travel.

Some set up help too – Is it worth playing with the motion control, at the minute it’s set to only blow off on maximum so doesn’t do anything most of the time when the forks are locked out.

Thanks,

chakaping
    Free Member

I had the same issue with mine. So does somebody else I ride with.

Sent mine back to Fisher under warranty and the worksheet came back saying they’d used Red Rum (RS fork oil) and O-ring. Couldn’t get a more detailed diagnosis as I was dealing through CRC.

Sold them on rather than refitting after changing my mind about what I needed – and new owner hasn’t reported the problem recurring.

Hope that helps.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Theres a small white ptfe kinda shim under the u-turn adjuster.this can be replaced.ive done mine and it helped a bit but not 100%

Ponty

Mine are doing this too (RS Rev 2009 456 140mm maxle lite)….had them for about 3 weeks and they were fine….gave the newly built bike its first wash on the Friday and the forks started knocking on Sat…..been like that ever since. Only knocks between the two extremes of travel….can be annoying when they’re wound down a little for a climb.

Also noticed that stations are a little “wetter” with oil than the Reba’s I have on Cotic?

Would like to know if this is normal, didnt hear mention of this happening on last years Rev’s or prevous air Pike’s? Even if its common, its not a good design feature?

abductee
    Free Member

Could be a bit of stiction in the new seals. If it started after you washed the bike perhaps you washed the oil off and they are sticking a bit. My Marzocchi mx comp do it when they are dry. A smear of fork oil on the stanchions shuts them up.

jonb
    Free Member

not washed mine, it was the first ride, fresh out the box. Will probably send an email to Rock Shox, probably nothing but I dunno having not seen many around.

They are fantastic forks though compared to my rather old Mx comps. Never thought they would make such a difference on a hardtail but it was a completely differnt experience today allowing me to ride harder and more confidently. Something I thought the extra 35mm just wouldn’t do.

jonb
    Free Member

For anybody with the sam problem Merlin have asked me to send them back as they think something is wrong.

Back to old forks for a while. 😥

grumm
    Free Member

Make sure the u-turn adjuster isn’t ‘between clicks’ – my pikes knock sometimes when it has not quite clicked into place properly.

Jimbo
    Free Member

From TF Tuned:

My U-Turn air fork knocks slightly, what is this?
    There’s play in the travel adjust helix. A small amount of play is necessary because if it was tight you wouldn’t be able to turn it, however this can cause a knock. During service, we reduce this as much as possible but it can never be completely eliminated.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Funny, a friend has this problem on his NON U-Turn Rebas. Started straight after buying the bike so he’s taken it back for a warranty replacement. After one ride, oil started leaking out of the rebound adjuster at the bottom of the fork.

jonb
    Free Member

Thanks, Jimbo – maybe it’s not that unusual, still going to get them sent back as it’s quite a knock, more than I’d expect on forks with an RRP of £575! Better to find out it’s nothing than have them fail later.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

might be pointless info? butmy forks were doing that (not revelations)after i put more air than standard and the bike mechanic at my lbs said they were topping out due to more air pressure so slow down the rebound.and there superb now

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is there something wrong with my new forks? knocking.’ is closed to new replies.