Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is there any way to determine the rating of a coil spring?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ti spring hanging around which I could do with selling on but I can’t for the life of me remember what rating it is and there are no markings on it at all.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’m guessing here but first thing is measure it’s unsprung length then apply lb weights until it’s fully compressed or kg weights and X by 2.2 for conversion to lbs.
    How heavy were you when you were using it?

Rosss
    Free Member

I was around 12st and it was perfect so I’m guessing it’s around 350

Suggsey
    Free Member

to be honest if you can’t get an accurate figure for it just be honest and describe it by length and the fact that you were 12 stone and it was spot on. Can you remember where you bought it or what make it was so you can search to see if they made a 350lb version? Something in my head is saying 12 stone would be more like using a 250lb Spring but it fpdepemds on shock travel of course ie length.

legend
    Free Member

Suggsey – Member
    I’m guessing here but first thing is measure it’s unsprung length then apply lb weights until it’s fully compressed or kg weights and X by 2.2 for conversion to lbs.
    How heavy were you when you were using

This should be interesting, only need to balance 350lbs of weight on it to see if you’re right 🙂

closetroadie
    Free Member

Its usually how many lbs it takes to compress it 1 inch.

Andy-R

Cut a piece of wood or tube exactly an inch shorter then the free length of the spring. Put the spring on a digital scale with the spacer inside, zero the scales and then press down on the spring with a flat piece of wood until you just touch the top of the spacer tube – the reading on the scale is the rate in inch/lbs ( or whatever units you’re working in).

That’s how I measure fork spring rate anyway.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I was only Christmas guessing 😆

tillydog
    Free Member

Here you go

Do the calculation using steel (music wire or carbon valve), then multiply the lbs/inch rate by 0.58 to give the approximate rate for Ti.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

More likely to be 400lb at 12 stone

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is there any way to determine the rating of a coil spring?’ is closed to new replies.