Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is there any point in buying lightweight parts when I weigh loads?
  • Twin
    Free Member

I’m fairly fit, playing rugby through the winter and doing some Gym work, riding more in the summer. I’m 17.5st, very large(stocky) build and ride a Commencal Meta 5.5. If I really tried hard I could lose about 1.5 stone, but as I play prop then then I really miss the extra weight when playing.
    Is it worth me going for lightweight parts, or at my size would I really notice the difference between a 31lb bike and a 29lb bike?

clubber
    Free Member

You may feel it but it’ll make sod all difference to how fast you actually ride…

ianpinder
    Free Member

You will feel it on the bike. If you feel you want to save weight on your bike then go ahead. I. Had 10at on you and built up a 23lb carbon hardtail which I go jumping on.

Don’t go for silly light wheels but most parts are plenty strong enough.

taxi25
    Free Member

As said, you wont be much quicker but the bike will feel very different if its light enough. You might enjoy how it rides or not. I’m on the heavy side but much prefer how a light bike feels.

andyl
    Free Member

choose parts wisely so you can buy stronger parts in some places but off-set the weight in others. A prime example is wheels as mentioned above – get some nice strong rims but maybe spend a bit extra on the hubs to get lighter ones (but still strong ones).

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m around 15 stone at the moment but have spent a lot of time around 17 stone when lifting weights has been a priority.

I’ve always built the lightest weight FS bikes I could, carbon ones for the last 8(?) years. You can feel the difference and I don’t break things more often than the racing snakes I know. I am very concious about keeping the wheels close to the ground though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I noticed more of a difference when I went to the gym more, i.e. if I’m 10% stronger then the bike felt 10% lighter, and a month at the gym cost considerably less than 3lb of weight loss off the bike!

I noticed the weight loss more going singlespeed, the loss of 3lb of gear associated gubbins made the bike feel marginaly quicker, but the loss of it at the rear axle made the most difference, the bike feels much more lively as the rear wheel skips accross stuff easier.

I think there’s more to it than saying; 220lb rider + 30lb bike, 1lb loss form bike is only 0.4% so 0.4% quicker, its a lb of very dead weight, whereas the 220lb of rider can be put to good use.

Maybe concentrate on loosing weight at the end of the Rugby season, just in time for the summers riding, then going all out to out on muscle in August/September?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

when I was first into biking and like everybody else obsessed with losing weight I went to my local lbs , run by a miserable fecker. I asked him how could I trim a few pounds without costing a fortunate- he said have a good shit and a haircut.

loddrik
    Free Member

17st and always build my bikes up pretty light. They just feel better. Plus what the point sticking heavier parts Ti a light frame.

BigJohn

Light parts cost more so are nicer to look at. That’s all that matters.

Just don’t get flexy wheels, bars or seatposts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is there any point in buying lightweight parts when I weigh loads?’ is closed to new replies.