Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Is there a tyre like maxxis advantage but thicker, or minion but better in mud?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

From what I’ve been reading – for a rear tyre – maxxis advantage is reasonable in mud (as well as on rock), but has thin sidewalls and vulnerable to pinch flats.

The minion is sturdier but not so grippy in the mud.

Is there something out there that offers the best of both?

Trimix
    Free Member

Just put more air in it and thereby avoid a pinch flat.

soobalias
    Free Member

ADvantage EXO or LUST if you think the sidewalls need beefing up.

neil853
    Free Member

Maxxis do an EVO casing in an advantage, but i’m not sure what sizes, I had a 2.4″ front, that was good.

FWIW I’ve now moved onto Rubber Queen 2.2 Protections, first proper ride out in the Peaks tomorrow so I’ll post a quick report about how I get on as a comparison if you like?

rocketman
    Free Member

From what I’ve been reading – for a rear tyre – maxxis advantage is reasonable in mud (as well as on rock), but has thin sidewalls and vulnerable to pinch flats.

Eh?

Advantages are great on loose rubbly stuff but clog pretty badly in mud. Sidewalls are not particularly thin – certainly not Nic/Ralph thin. Personally I wouldn’t use one on the rear I think they’re quite draggy for a medium weight tyre.

The minion is sturdier but not so grippy in the mud.

ime Minions are much better than Advantages in mud they have a more open tread pattern with defined raised blocks and bite a lot harder.

Is there something out there that offers the best of both?

Probably a 2.35 60a folding Minion which personally I’ve never got to work front or rear but I know some people like them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Is there a tyre like maxxis advantage but thicker, or minion but better in mud?’ is closed to new replies.