Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • is there a market for E bike specific bike components
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

Surely the empererors new

er

SRAM’s XG-899 E-Block MTB Cassette is part of the new EX1 eBike specific drivetrain and has been specifically designed for the extra torque and demands of electric MTB bikes.

no

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-xg-899-e-block-mtb-cassette/rp-prod156332

350 quid hows that for milking it a bit more

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Yep definitely trying it on, I’d just get the slx or sram equivalent for about £20. Doesn’t have to be light on an ebike. I can’t believe I’d wear 18 cheap ones out quicker than one of those.

scotroutes

From casual observation of the folk I’ve transported around I’d suggest that many e-bike buyers aren’t short of a bob or two.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mickmcd
    Free Member

oh i aint complaining hats off to anyone who can get them to part with their cash how long before a casette hits 500 quid

stevextc
    Free Member

Steel is the new Ti/carbon ???

PJM1974
    Free Member

Equally, the technology in ebikes is only going to get cheaper, or manufacturers will cut costs with proprietary components.

Plus SRAM will exploit any niche it finds…

RustySpanner

CBA.

funkmasterp

Steel is the new Ti/carbon ???

Steel has always been the bestest #steelisreal 😉

amedias
    Free Member

The interesting bit is that it’s 8 speed, so presumably uses a nice wide and thick 8 speed chain which might/hopefully wear better when under the extra strain of an assisting motor…I’m guessing that’s where they’re pitching this.

Also, don’t forget that X01 RRP is also over £300, and still > £200 at discounted rates, so if its’ the same tech and spec as X01 or X1 but in lower volume then the price is understandable, if still ridiculous!

cozz
    Free Member

i think the main reason for 8 speed, is that with electric assist, you don’t need to be up and down the gears as much, and therefore don’t notice a larger increment between gears

i will be replacing my 11 speed set up with this 8 speed kit when mine wears

simondbarnes

is there a market for E bike specific bike components

i will be replacing my 11 speed set up with this 8 speed kit when mine wears

Thread closed 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

£50 off mind you, not to be sniffed at.

tomhoward

Given how long/well my 11s X01 cassette and chain has lasted on my levo, I’ve every confidence that a tougher, thicker version will last pretty much forever, so even if one comes with the bike, you’re never gonna have to buy another!

To be honest, even 8 gears is a little overkill, reckon I’d be fine with 3 or 4.

Ebike specific brakes, however…

Andy

Wow that would make a bombproof last for ever winter drivetrain for a normal bike!

wwaswas

Bloke in local FB group came across this bike in the Surrey Hills, apparently rider had been going down a fire road.

you may not need e-bike specific components but there’s clearly some that are not appropriate.

(there was some speculation the bars were fake Race Face ones…)

zilog6128

what idiot would put a Crest on a 50lb bike?! 😆

Ebike specific brakes, however…

IIRC the brakes for the EX1 groupset are basically the Guide DH ones, which makes sense.

cozz
    Free Member

I think he’s got problems with his wheel as well as his bars !

lol

rOcKeTdOg

E bike specific saddles are essential as the 29er ones were

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘is there a market for E bike specific bike components’ is closed to new replies.