Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Is there a city car with the back of the front passenger seat folds flat?
  • flashes
    Free Member

I’m trying to find the impossible, a car small enough that my partner will drive but big enough to use on my own where I can get a bike in with just the front wheel removed. Is there a city car with the back of the front passenger seat folds flat???

ElShalimo

The old square shaped Mazda2

nickjb
    Free Member

Jazz? Huge in the back

legend
    Free Member

Jazz is still the king of unlikely space isn’t it?

midlifecrashes

Twingo

flashes
    Free Member

I still can’t bring myself to consider a Jazz…..

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just take the back wheel off.

I’ve had bikes with wheels off inside a Peugeot 107 rental and our old Skoda Citigo no problem. The Citigo was a truly brilliant car.

antigee

cars get bigger all the time (well sort of – not like the universe expanding)

depends how big your bikes are – I’m only a smallish chap but was surprised that could get my cx with both wheels on in the back of the newer Toyota Yaris quite easily

edit back seat down of course and front seat as far forward as would go

flashes
    Free Member

I may need to look into a Yaris.
    I’d love a Twingo but some scroat around our way has worked out how to do £400 worth of damage to break in to cars with a certain feature and it has that………….

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’d love a Twingo but some scroat around our way has worked out how to do £400 worth of damage to break in to cars with a certain feature and it has that………….

You can’t tease us with that!
    I need more details.

flashes
    Free Member

I’m not going to put this out there…but I can confirm it’s caused us a large bill and we’re thinking of selling my partners car as we don’t want another insurance claim………….

traildog
    Free Member

Again, got to be a Jazz. I don’t know why you don’t want to consider one. They’re not cheap to service/repair though.

flashes
    Free Member

Jazz. Because my partner thinks they’re an old person’s car……..I quite like them, OMG maybe I may be an old person…………

unovolo
    Free Member

worked out how to do £400 worth of damage to break in to cars with a certain feature and it has that..

I’m guessing its the glass tailgate, twingos, C1/Aygo, VW Up all seem to have them.

flashes
    Free Member

Nope…..

nickdavies

Honda Jazz. Well, it would normally be the jazz, but if your partner thinks the jazz is too old man, doesn’t like the French city car and doesn’t want a big car then you can’t win. Hence, it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission…

Or, new patio…

zigzag69
    Free Member

Honda Jazz. You can cram in 2 large 29ers* with front wheel off and seatposts dropped, standing up with the back wheels poking through slightly between the front seats. **

I don’t think a Yaris can do this…

* If you are precious about chainstays being scratched, then you’ll only manage to fit one.
    ** If you have the EX, you’ll have to remove the driver’s seat armrest to make room for 2 wheels.

TiRed

My old Twingo takes a bike without folding the front seat. Bike stands vertically. Larger FS bikes may need a dropper post for this.

timba
    Free Member

Hyundai iX20 / Kia Venga (image linky)

T1000
    Free Member

In our Note the front seat didn’t fold flat but you could remove the headrest and recline it flat (I don’t think it’s a feature on all models)

Tri-X
    Free Member

Twingo

Possibility of a one person micro camper ?
    Looks more than long enough to stretch out in a sleeping bag
    With the engine under the floor it should be toasty and warm in the winter 🙂
    Will a bike with wheels off fit in the back at the same time ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your taking one wheel out just take both out, it packs a bit nicer. Hyundai I30 was my small hire car of choice for a quick run out with the bike, toyota corolla was brilliant for the size bike in with 1 wheel off I think and a nice car to nip around in.

bencooper
    Free Member

Our old ForFour could do that*, the new one can too:

http://uk.smart.com/uk/en/index/smart-forfour-453/practicality.html

*Well, it could if you bought the £400 fold-flat seat option, or if you did it yourself by removing the little catch plate 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

My bike (front wheel off) would go into a old shaped Yaris with the passenger seat pushed forwards. You don’t need to fold it flat just recline forwards and as far forwards as it will go on the rails ? As soon as you are driver only there are more options. (EDIT: I see @agee said the same above about new Yaris. Bike can be at an angle, rear wheel on drivers side, bike angled across with front forks in footwell behind passenger seat)

Jazz get a lot of stick but are very practicle little cars.

Merc A-Class (old model)

My bike will go in a Micra-CC but only with the roof down 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

What is the obsession with keepi g back wheels on? Can no one in singletrackworld put wheels on?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its a pain in the arse and results in really dirty hands or a supply of surgical gloves

rob2
    Free Member

Honda jazz. There’s a reason lots of people recommend them.

I got 5 bikes in mine when we moved. Back seats fold flat and the front seats fold nearly flat.

Best car we’ve ever had

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tongue in cheek and for fair weather summer riding 😉

spooky_b329

Ford Fusion is great for this. (the UK fiesta one, not the US mondeo style)

Its basically a Fiesta estate, big wide boot with no lip, and the front seat folds forward and flat.

Its a bit old now, and not a looker. There is a Mazda I think that has a prettier body but is the same car underneath, not sure if it shares the folding front seat.

akira

Jazz for me again, had one and now have another one. I quite like it, you may need to get over your old person car hang up and just accept the inevitable.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I should dig up some photos from Singapore of Honda Jazz ( called a Fit elsewhere). spoilers, alloys, Recaro seats, big bore exhaust …

plus with their taxes they cost about £50k !!!

timber

Car variant of the Nemo/Bipper van?
    Old boy down the road has one, tiny thing but boxy, so good for handlebars. I guess the passenger seat will go flat as it’s van derived.

Edukator
    Free Member

£400 !

It’s not hard to get in without damaging anything:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjgicFjknsQ[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Its a pain in the arse and results in really dirty hands or a supply of surgical gloves

No it doesnt, put in smallest sproket undo wheel it falls out, can easily put it back in with touching the chain. Its not hard. Gloves ffs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tongue in cheek and for fair weather summer riding

Look how happy I look driving back from ‘that’ Gorrick Enduro.

Reminds me, I need to drop those seats off the runners.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Smart Fortwo passenger seat folds flat.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ where is the bike ? Is it long enough to fit a bike in with the rear wheel on ?

OP a Fiat 500 is surprisingly big and the rear hatch pretty useful for getting stuff inandnout. i recall another STWer saying he had one and could get a bile in with just the front wheel off.

Look how happy I look driving back from ‘that’ Gorrick Enduro.

8) well maybe not the sunnies …

@aa my rear wheel doesn’t fall out in lowest gear on either the quick release or the bolt through rear axle bikes. Derailer has to be held away against the spring and derailer is invariably covered in cr@p. Also when I did take te rear wheel out on my BFe the razor sharp brake rotor gouged a load of paint off. Now perhaps there is a special technique but I’d rather put the bike inside with the rear wheel on. My bikes travel inside the DuffBags as per the photo above and both wheels off don’t suit the Monster Bags I bought.

Kahurangi

How come no one has said the Honda Jazz yet??! We regularly put 2 in our Jazz with front wheels off, lying flat with handlebar between the seats.

joefm

Since when did taking the rear wheel off become hard work?
    And faffing about with a front seat probably takes as long

bikebouy
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    ^^ where is the bike ? Is it long enough to fit a bike in with the rear wheel on ?

OP a Fiat 500 is surprisingly big and the rear hatch pretty useful for getting stuff inandnout.

The front seat doesn’t go flat unless you cut it off with a hacksaw. You can get a Giant TCX in one but you take both wheels off and take the seat post out.

You can get a bike in a Smart Fortwo, you take both wheels off. A Niner One9 will go in with the seat post still in place.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Is there a city car with the back of the front passenger seat folds flat?’ is closed to new replies.