Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is the Lakes rideable or too much snow?
  • wl
    Free Member

As title, really. Was planning a ride from Staveley tomorrow, but will it be more trouble
    than it’s worth coz of snow? Any info, tips, route ideas welcome. Ta.

samcamsdad

Staveley is gonna be rammed tomorrow, it’s the wheelbase demo weekend, this weekend. So I would probably avoid kentmere, as its gonna be be soggy mudfest.

wl
    Free Member

Thanks, Sam – useful tip. What about snow levels if we head elsewhere? Anyone?

Pridds

Not a lot in Grasmere

mangoman
    Free Member

There is a beer festival in Staveley though.

samcamsdad

No snow in Bowness, rained all morning though.

breadcrumb

The Borrowdale Bash was clear today. Barely even dirty by the time I got back!

wl
    Free Member

Sounds like lakes should be ok to ride snow-wise then. Any other reports from folk there now? Ta.

wl
    Free Member

Bump.

TomB

Avoid the high peaks (helvellyn, skiddaw) and you’ll be fine.Snow is above 600m mainly.

samcamsdad

Still fine in Bowness, grizedale looks good from what I could see out the window when it was light.

wl
    Free Member

Ok, cool. Will head up and see where we can get to. Thanks for all the info.

crispo
    Free Member

We were up in Kentmere today, not too bad actually. Got parked up in Staveley no bother and once we were out we barely saw anyone.

Quite wet out but not too bad. If you do Garburn make sure you do it clockwise, quite frankly it was shit the other way today! The downhill going west has been totally ruined.

No bother with snow at all.

samcamsdad

How do you mean ruined crispo? Has it been sanitised, or has the weather played its part? Not been up garburn for a while.

breadcrumb

I’m about 15 miles North of Keswick and we’ve had a little snow over night. I imagine the Lakes has possibly had more though.

samcamsdad

Yeah snowed overnight here to. Only about half inch though, so still ok to ride low level. It’s raining again mind, so it’s gone reet slushy.

crispo
    Free Member

Yeah sanitised.

Maybe it’s not new, but when I rode it 4 weeks ago I’m sure it was very different. Could have just been the snow that made me not realise before. There was a jcb at the bottom by the resevoir though!

boxelder

Couple inches wet snow at bottom of whinlatter.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is the Lakes rideable or too much snow?’ is closed to new replies.