Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Is my garmin edge 705 broken or just old and slow
  • damascus
    Free Member

Just followed the pedal North c2c route. I programmed it in and set off from Ravenglass. Worked perfect for the first bit. But when we got to the lakes we changed the route a bit and it had to recalculate a few times. Each time it recalculates it takes about 5 mins. Eventually it crashed and wouldn’t turn on. Hard to hold down the power and mode button to reset it.

I’m guessing the problem was the file was 228 miles long and if I had of used the 7 individual days it would have been OK. My friends 810 does route changes almost instantly.

This is my first sat nav garmin and was bought 2nd hand. Are the 800 series far better or is mine just on the way out? Everything else on it works fine and shorter journeys work OK.

Thanks

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It’s just hopeless at coming up with routes on-the-fly IMO. Preprogrammed only is best for 705.

boblo
    Free Member

Running the 705 is a bit of a black art. If you’re using GPX files and turn by turn direction, results can be unpredictable.

A lot of people find converting GPX to TCX and simply following a pink route line saves a lot of grief and speeds up the process.

Convert via the Gpsies site and save to ‘Courses’. Boot up will be quicker and the whole thing is more reliable.

Dunno anything about the 800’s and above as I’ve kept my 705 and it still runs like the day I bought it.

And as above, autorouting is shite and to be avoided at all costs.

damascus
    Free Member

I had a gpspies file on it but didn’t think it would be any different.

In a nutshell can you explain the difference in saving a file?

boblo
    Free Member

You convert the GPX to a TCX (on the convert tab) and then save it to /garmin/courses. You then choose it from the Garmin menu: Training->Courses

You’ll have a pink line to follow and no turn by turn (which usually morphs into ‘take a u turn’…).

I’ve toured with mine extensively and this is the most reliable way to use it assuming you don’t need lots of on the fly autorouting. If you do, get a Tom Tom 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Is my garmin edge 705 broken or just old and slow’ is closed to new replies.