Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is it safe to tumble dry Lycra?
  • Kryton57

Top & bibs, on a low heat obvs…?

GHill

Great way to ruin the pad in the bibs.

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, dry mine on full heat and nothing has gone wrong in the years of doing so

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never been an issue , we do it when touring.

Dont own a tumble drier st home thoug.

nickjb
    Free Member

Define safe. You are setting yourself up for a big static shock 😯

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I wouldn’t risk it, and lycra dries quickly anyway. In fact just put it on damp, it’ll be dry before you get to the end of the road!

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree with the above: It’s really not worth ruining it. Just hang it up to dry; or, as the Lady above says, put it on damp.

Del

tumble dryer forms a faraday cage creating a massive build up of static electricity and you’ll be struck with lightening as soon as you open the door.
    HTH.

theboatman
    Free Member

Do it pretty much all winter through due to commute, never had an issue, apart from the tumble dryer lightening strikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I always air dry mine, as there is no need to rapid tumble dry them and imho its not good for the material

mountainman

Fast spin 1400 here and practically dry then .
    1/2 hr on line in sunshine job done.

shaungero
    Free Member

Sunshine ?

What’s that

Onzadog
    Free Member

tumble dryer is fine, its fabric conditioner that kills it.

mountainman

Sunshine ?

What’s that

The bright spells between the showers,usually occurs just as you return home soaked n cold.

Kryton57

Hmmm. I’ve 12 hrs between races. Hate a moist pad….

trail_rat
    Free Member

You only have one pair of shorts ?

Anyone suggesting you put a pad on damp needs their head looking at

Kryton57

No, but I only have one pair of club shorts.

Esme
    Free Member

It depends on your tumble drier!

If it’s a modern low energy machine, then an occasional tumble-dry probably won’t harm the lycra (or polyester). But then 30 minutes on the washing line will be just as good.

If the contents get really warm, then it can rapidly kill a garment . . . as I’ve discovered with washer-driers in holiday cottages 🙁

TheSanityAssassin

A mate stuck all our combined kit in a tumble drier for a bit too long last year and the heat made all of the leg-gripper strips come off on my club bib shorts. The kit is made by Champion Systems.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I use conditioner so my stuff smells ok…is that bad?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yes Leigh that is bad, dont use fabric conditioner on any of your technical clothing.
    I wouldn’t tumble dry my cycling kit either, except some specific cases that recommend it to reactivate DWR treatments.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

everyone
    Free Member

Could you not put your kit in an airing cupboard? Assuming you have one of course!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’d not tumble cycling kit. Lots of mine even says don’t tumble.

But then I’ve never been in the position of only having one pair of shorts. Toy could just wear plain ones.

kerley
    Free Member

To sum up;

a load of people tumble dry regularly and have no issues while others have never done so but advise against it (sort sort of tumble dry phobia?)

epicyclo

I don’t like tumble drying.

I have been told I have to remove the lycra first, is that true?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve always tumble dried my cycling kit (Assos bibs included), I always use the low setting and I’ve never had a problem.
    It means my kit can be washed, dried and ready to go again in under three hours.

mikey74
    Free Member

To sum up;

a load of people tumble dry regularly and have no issues while others have never done so but advise against it (sort sort of tumble dry phobia?)

Pretty much. In my case, it’s just not worth it: For a start, I try to use my tumble dryer as little as possible, plus I really don’t fancy having to splash out for another set of bib shorts @ >£65 a pop, if it all goes boobs-up. I just plan ahead a little.

xico
    Free Member

Tumble drying is the best way to prematurely age any article of clothing.

senorj

I wouldn’t. 12 hours? Just hang them in an opened window….they’ll be right.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

All my stuff gets tumble dried on normal heat all the time.

Not had any problems.

The only thing that you need to watch out for is Velcro. The rough side can shred lycra so make sure that Velcro is closed together of it needs to go in.

stevious

It’s alright on a low heat but I wouldn’t make a habit of it. The silicone in the grippers isn’t very temperature stable and will degrade faster.

Often wash lycra the day before using it though. Almost always dry by morning if just left to hang as long as it’s not really cold.

mikey74
    Free Member

@ mountain man

That exactly what happened to me yesterday.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is it safe to tumble dry Lycra?’ is closed to new replies.