Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • is it raining in Surrey Hills/Peaslake?
  • wwaswas

3 dry days at the end of May!

Indian Summer, they were 😉

rewski
    Free Member

August is going to be good I hear.

gribble
    Free Member

I often drive past Swinley on the way to and from work. I took the bike out of the back of the car (unused from yesterday), only to see lovely sunshine coming out today. 🙄

Probably raining later though…

mashiehood
    Free Member

Im gonna hit the road tomo for a Surrey Hills loop

bentudder

Mashie, that’s what I did yesterday. I couldn’t face a ‘quick’ two hour mountain bike ride over lunch. Took the ‘cross bike and had a good time. There’s lots of debris on the roads at the moment, too.

mattjg
    Free Member

it’s not rained today. yet.

bentudder

Rained last night, though, if the state of our garden and patio this morning is anything to go by.

gee
    Free Member

Was on the road over the downs this morning, there is so much gravel on the minor roads it’s crazy. The worst was the corner by the church in Coldharbour where there is a bridleway running off the corner up the hill – the bridleway looked like a river and the road was, no exaggeration, covered in massive rocks. Mental.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rain forecast now pushed back to between 16:00 and 19:00. Wet tomorrow morning again. Might try a spin near Punchbowl instead. Less mud, hopefully!

mattjg
    Free Member

Gentle rain just started in Dorkers.

swamptin
    Free Member

Nevermind.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Did 2:30hrs up and around punchbowl. Surprisingly OK as were Thursley and Hankley. Sand more compact due to the wet and hardly any mud. Climb up the Punchbowl was a little slower than normal but found some great deer tracks to follow down the sides. Great fun little rides as the heather was so deep you couldn’t quite see where you bike was going! And they were dry.

Bridleways lower down were bog fests and miserable though. Been rainy most of the evening though so expect SH to be v muddy tomorrow. As the song said, “Go west…..”

mattjg
    Free Member

It rained hard for some of last night.

s13joe
    Free Member

Tried to ride at Peaslake today – shocking really the mixture of rain/forest works has make most of the area I know unridable and very disapointing. I wont be heading back sadly, atleast for a good few months/good reveiws up there. Did try another hill but the ground is so saturated, very unpleasant!
    Joe

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tried to look for different places for quick evening ride today, so did section of NDW and St Martha’s. Not as bad a feared except for NDW between Watts Gallery and Law Courts – soft sand AND gloop (especially after b’way comes up from the Withies). Chantries muddy but at least the sand section was easier than normal and not bad at all to the bottom of St Martha’s. Climb as normal but cheeky bits off the other side have quite a bit of damage (mini berm by mini tabletop near the top is quite eroded today). Found Jambalaya’s cheeky stuff on the return – much better than the normal return route and potential for some off-piste fun off to the RHS in the trees. 😉

I think P’lake is an AVOID for some time now sadly.

Any reports if Leith is in better condition?

mattjg
    Free Member

It didn’t rain yesterday, during daylight hours.

Some rain last night, more this morning.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Light drizzle by me since leaving pool at 08:00. Forcast is poor all week with exception of tomorrow (Tues). Funnily enough I have got used to it now – get up, its raining, OK same as yesterday – at least the bike gets cleaned more thoroughly than normal.

Premium on the rockier areas at the moment – might head off to the military areas for a change of scene?

mattjg
    Free Member
    Cheezpleez

Just bought some of those for my backpacking trip to the Lakes at the w/e. If I survive I’ll probably cut them down for riding in. My Endura waterproofs are wearing out from over-use.

mattjg
    Free Member

They work well full length too for riding when it’s actually raining, rather than wet under-tyre. They don’t constrict at the thigh (buy a size too big compared to jeans) and the length neatly stops just past the top of my rain SPD boots.

Actually they’re so cheap, I have > 1 pair, I’ll keep at least 1 full length and maybe cut another.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just wait it out…do some trail work etc

High pressure from next week, will recover super quick. probably dusty by week this saturday 😛

10pmix
    Free Member

Rode Leith Hill and around on Sunday and mostly OK, some deep patches here and there but nothing too bad, a few spills on the pink roots but what’s new…

gribble
    Free Member

What is it like at Swinley Forrest? I am there Saturday.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Wow, walked the dog round Pitch yesterday – what a mess! lots of trails gone

I know its a working forest etc etc – still even for non bikers its basically a no go for the moment. Wonder if they are going to regrade the main tracks?

tonyg2003

I rode Swinley last weekend and it was surprisingly good. I’d imagine it will be reasonable this weekend and dry out quick.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FRN – none of the tracks are official on Pitch so I guess it will be done to us to restore them sensitively!! But for the moment, a bit of a no-go area in these conditions I guess.

Its been dry for most of the night and today but a few grey clouds building.

freeridenick
    Free Member

I don’t even mean the bike tracks
    more the footpaths and bridleways – can they leave in such poor condition?

No doubt the pixies will go out and fix up the trails.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘is it raining in Surrey Hills/Peaslake?’ is closed to new replies.