Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Is it possible to stay comfortable when it's cold AND wet?
  • busta
    Free Member

Yeah Buffalo Teclite shirt. I add a merino base layer for sub-zero windy rides or hiking.

They do a Teclite cycling specific one too, with a vented back and reflective strips if that’s your thing.

I got mine from needlesports.com

shedbrewed
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

My first Special Six was retired after 20 years service recently – outdoor activities, commuting and then work wear, I’d worn it for thousands of hours. I have so many find memories attached to it I couldn’t get rid of it – it now lives in the spare wheel well of my car in case of emergencies.

My Belay jacket is now retired after 20 years too and is now on gardening and shed duties, along with the Danner boots bought at the same time and used in a lot of the same places.

The pertex/pile is going to be too warm unless it’s properly cold out, I prefer the teclite shirt for bike use although mine is now rather on the big side after I lost 4 stone. Lives in the car for emergency use although it got worn a lot on a trip to Iceland last year.
    There are Buffalo gilets available too but I’ve not tried one. Could be the panacea for the OP?

I’ve not found any better bib tights that Pearl Izumi Amfib elite. Craft storm are ok but not as warm, Northwave 50/12 didn’t shed water at all. Waiting on some Bioracer Spitfire winter protect tights to try.

Pearl izumi wxb or softshell elite gloves, with jacket over the cuffs.
    Buff on the neck, clear glasses and a beard on the face.

noltae
    Free Member

I’ve found a thin merino baselayer coupled with a synthetic one over the top and then a softshell hoody a great combo .. Thick long woollen socks good also – And plenty of carbs before you set out ..

chakaping
    Free Member

for me, ‘cold and wet’ means temperatures above freezing

This is what I was thinking.

Windchill can make it feel colder I guess, but I’ll usually make do with a hardshell jacket or my Stealth – probably with a midweight merino underneath. Though a thermal synthetic like my Mavic jersey will be OK too as long as I’m not stopping much.

I don’t really expect to stay dry so the main thing for me is keeping my hands and feet warm.

Bought a lightweight synthetic insulated gilet last year to put in my backpack in a plastic bag for mountain rides in winter.

iainc

how do those Buffalo Teclite shirts size up ?

busta
    Free Member

how do those Buffalo Teclite shirts size up ?

My 38″ shirt fits my 38″ chest. They are quite fitted, but need to be as they should be worn against the skin or with just a base layer.

rocketman
    Free Member

Nothing special here just thin layers and insulation around the neck wrists and ankles. Went out the other day in a summer base layer under a winter base layer under an ordinary jersey under a windshell. Toasty 🙂

Sometimes pack a spare pair of gloves cold hands are my nemesis

u02sgb
    Free Member

Been keeping nice and toasty with my new North Face Thermoball body warmer (new “down like” primaloft tech). Surprised how warm it is for the size and so far been ok when damp. Not got soaked yet though.

sq225917
    Free Member

I’m waiting for Endura to do a road version of their MT 2 500, 60k breathable, should mean I can get away with just a base layer, instead of having to layer up to soak the sweat up.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I tend to accept I’m going to get wet nd concentrate on staying warm (so that involves wearing a decent windproof). Personally I prefer more layers and a thinner, but breathable, jacket, and keep moving. At least this way you can get rid of moisture inside the shell faster.

On a social ride I’ll sacrifice some breathability for warmth when stopped and wear a thicker shell.

Saying all that, it’s rare for me to stay out much more than a couple of hours in freezing temps.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to stay comfortable when it's cold AND wet?’ is closed to new replies.