Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • is it possible to buy a decent motorcycle for £500? am not a mechanic ;-)
  • racefaceec90

would really love to get some sort of transport (that i could go to the coast on/cheap to run,insure e.t.c) as i am not rich,was wondering what ideas/recommendations people might have for a bike.have owned a yam dt125 back in the early 90’s (which i loved) ideally would love to get a bike that could go on salisbury plain as well as tarmac.cheers 🙂

steveoath
    Free Member

Do motorbikes not cost a fortune to insure?

james0706
    Free Member

Well in-fact my dad has a decent Kawasaki GPZ500 that he has just finished. It has tax and MOT. It has cheap insurance aswell. He is looking for around £450 if you are interested. E-mail me for photos or more info if interested.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Would doubt a motorcycle costs a ridiculous amount to insure

reason being you have a better chance of death riding one… you cant claim dead 😆

an expensive motorbike wont cost as much to replace as an expensive car either if it got written off or severely damaged

racefaceec90

james0706 thanks for the heads up,but to be honest am just enquiring at the moment (have yet to save the money) would definitely have been interested though (they’re good bikes/always loved kawasakis 🙂

james0706
    Free Member

Okay no problems. Just wondered.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would doubt a motorcycle costs a ridiculous amount to insure

Depends. I can insure virtually anything for under £150

Just had a quote on a Ducati ST 4 which has the full monty 996 superbike engine in it. £146 fully comp, including Mrs PP to ride.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Surprisingly cheap to insure. My lad at 21 a few months after passing his test was insuring a 900cc bike for £300ish. Much cheaper than his car. I pay less than a tank of fuel for my insurance.

Depends what you want the bike to do for you, but something like a c90 should be easy. You can pick up engines for £100 and there’s all of 2 bolts and a wire to deal with to slot a new one in so no more difficult to maintain with than a bicycle. Easier if anything.

As they get bigger they get more expensive and complex but something with one cylinder and under 500cc could be possible to buy for £500 and not require £1000 worth of tools to keep running. If a c90 isn’t up to the job something in the 175-400cc range probably offers the best value as most people want bigger or smaller, but still cheap and simple to maintain.

EDIT: missed the salisbury plain thing. Something like an XL185, 200 or 250 would fit the bill.

Conqueror
    Free Member

btw how much roughly does it cost to learn… cost of lessons + the test itself?

I’ve always liked the look of those ‘classic’ Triumph bikes (the bonville, scrambler and thruxton )

doubt ill ever do it because of money/storage… but intrigued none the less

5thElefant
    Free Member

My lad did a weekend course type thing. Cost in the region of £500 I think. He’d been racing motorcross and enduro for the best part of a decade though, and his instructor twigged immediately, so they just spent the weekend racing to cafes!

Kato

I just sold my spare bike, a 1996 Aprilia Pegaso 650 for 500 quid. Tatty but mechanically bulletproof so there’s stuff about if you look hard

£90 a year full comp to insure

Joe

I’m also shocked everytime i renew my bike insurance how much it is. £150 fully comp last time on an R6 in London.

thepodge
    Free Member

150 tpft for me but I’ve had a bike nicked so that keeps it high.

just sent mine off for its service and stuff. think its gonna cost me about 800 once its finished

mr-brightside
    Free Member

i pay about £180 fully comp for my 1000cc and 660cc supermoto i think i can also add another 4 bikes to my policy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘is it possible to buy a decent motorcycle for £500? am not a mechanic ;-)’ is closed to new replies.